Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   FAHMon and F@H set up reccomendations (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/14187-fahmon-f-h-set-up-reccomendations.html)

CasheKicker January 25, 2009 06:19 AM

FAHMon and F@H set up reccomendations

Ok so I now have both of my machines folding. They have been working for just under a day now and they have not finished their 1st project nor have my stats been updated and I have yet to make the team list.

No problem I am sure it is just a matter of waiting out.

I am using Folding@Home CPU client Ver 6.23 which may be the 1st mistake, think I am supposed to be using the GPU client ( right?).

What is the best performer client to be using for F@H? Graphical, text, screenie?

As well I want to use FAHMon as was recommended by another member. I have DL the program and installed but for the life of me can not figure out how to get it to work. The help guide does not seem to assist me much in this department.

Any help to a Newbi would be much appreciated.

CK

3.0charlie January 25, 2009 06:31 AM

In regards to Rig #1, I would not Fold with it - the 3500 / 1950XT combo's ppd (point-per-day) vs. the heat / electricity demand is not worth it.

For Rig #2, I would use the SMP client on the E8400, and the nVidia client on the 8800GTS - both from the FAH High-Performance dl page. Much higher, efficient ppd.

As for Fahmon, right-click the window, Add a new client. Give it a name, and find the Fah folder in Location. Should work.

CasheKicker January 25, 2009 06:31 AM

Ok after some looking deeper in the F@H home page I finally found the GPU high performance clients here

Folding@home - DownloadWinOther

Now the question remains, which client should I use and why?

If I change my system specs would I change my client?

Should it be GPU or GPU2 clients?

Should both my rigs in my Sig be running the same clients?

CasheKicker January 25, 2009 06:33 AM

Sorry 3.0 just read your post I was writing while you were posting. Thanks.

After my current folding projects are complete I will uninstall the CPU clients and reinstall a GPU client. Currently about 75% complete so I will let them finish.

Since Rig 1 is not suitable for High performance GPU folding would it work for Rosseta or another type of CPU folding? Certainly it can be used for something worthwhile, after all we hardly use that rig at all for anything than my daughters e-mail and wife facbook.

3.0charlie January 25, 2009 06:35 AM

I'm running Vista, so it would be:

Windows Vista GPU Console client 6.23

and

Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console 6.22 beta2 for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit)

If you do run 2 Clients, don't forget to give then different Machine ID's in the setup.

CasheKicker January 25, 2009 09:19 AM

Well I am now running Windows Vista GPU Console client 6.23. I can see the activity in the console box is at 5%. Actually it failed the 1st few runs as I hade my shaders OCd in Riva Tuner and it aperantly was unstable. Reset to defaults and seems to be working now.

I am trying to get FAHMon working but have no idea where to find the folder that contains the info. HELP.

Also I left everything in default mode for the client, is this best? Or should I have made changes ie. changing the size of the project.

I am also wondering if I reboot will it automatically restart or do I need to change that too.

sswilson January 25, 2009 09:40 AM

Start/Programs/Folding@HomeGPU/"datafiles" will get you the location of the folder to point FAHmon at.

chrisk January 25, 2009 10:13 AM

Guys;
Just posted a thread on how to do this as many new people ask.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html

Let me know if I need to edit or add.

CasheKicker January 25, 2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 143359)
Start/Programs/Folding@HomeGPU/"datafiles" will get you the location of the folder to point FAHmon at.

When I installed the console version of the program it did so in the console box. I do not see it in my start programs folder.

CasheKicker January 25, 2009 01:08 PM

Ok now I got the initial bugs worked out and I am now successfully folding GPU console Client on Rig 2.

(Rig 1 is doing low level CPU Folding.)

Changed some things around now running off my desktop. Have FAHMon reporting It will take me about 1h15m with a 5755 PPD GPUv2 Gromacs 353 points.

How does this measure up? I did not change anything in running F@H apart from my user name and the HWC team # 54196.

In future should I change things?

Next I guess I will play with shaders to max out potential. Anyone running similar Rigs and same Card 8800GTS OC may be able to advise me on good clock settings for my GPU. I am now using Precision Tuner and will use it to play with clock settings.

Will I have to restart F@H on every reboot or can it be tasked to start up automatically? Also can it be moved from the bottom bar without Xing out of the program, wife and kids tend to x everything out when I am not around and they use my PC. Want it to run in background.

Thanks all.