Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2009, 04:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Best way to fold on a quad core?

What's the best client to use that will make the most of my Q6600? I tried the SMP client but it still only uses 25%-50% of the processor, even if it was idle. The SMP client also requires that I have a password on my windows account, which I don't really want. Can I run four instances of the regular console client at once?
Old January 6, 2009, 04:13 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I would use BOINC and Rosetta with your Quad, if you do not want any passwords on your Win account.
Old January 6, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Run the F@H Affinity changer along with two SMP clients. That will use 100% of your CPU.

Don't forget to GPU fold as well. If you're using NVIDIA, the new 180 and after drivers require little to no CPU overhead in order to fold on the GPU.
Old January 6, 2009, 04:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What's the best client to use that will make the most of my Q6600? I tried the SMP client but it still only uses 25%-50% of the processor, even if it was idle. The SMP client also requires that I have a password on my windows account, which I don't really want. Can I run four instances of the regular console client at once?
The SMP 6.23R1 client should have been using up to 100% of your quad, are you sure you installed it right?. In task manager it should show as four instances of FahCore_a1.exe*32 with each instance at up to 25%, one instance per core. You could run four instances of the classis client which might be easier for you, they just need different machine ID's.
I don't find the password annoying but mine run 24/7 and I only use it after they are stopped for cleaning, If you don't like a password your better off with Boinc like 3.0charlie recommended...

Old January 6, 2009, 04:56 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Okay, I managed to get the SMP client working. Apparently I had to run it with the -smp argument Can I GPU fold as well when I'm running the SMP client? I have an ATI card, I'm not sure how much CPU the ATI client uses.
Old January 6, 2009, 05:00 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Okay, I managed to get the SMP client working. Apparently I had to run it with the -smp argument
That sometimes happens. You're not supposed to need it anymore but it some times downloads the wrong WU on start-up and uses the wrong core. Glad you got it going.
Welcome to the Fold...

Edit; You can use the GPU at the same time , just make sure it has its priority set slightly higher.

Old January 6, 2009, 06:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Welcome to the team Matt! If you're folding for HWC don't forget to ask for a tag.
Fold for team #54196