Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2008, 10:01 AM
Top Prospect

Default So, even after reading the FAQ..

I am getting more confused.

I just built a sweet new system:

corsair vx450 psu
p5q3 Deluxe mobo
xeon e3110
hd4850

So... I want to start contributing to HWC.

There is Rosetta, there is Folding, there is some sort of bionic thing.. what are the differences?

I dont want to stress my system 24/7, I just want to help out. My video card gets pretty hot, so I dont want to stress that. I just want a program I can set, forget about, it *WONT AFFECT MY GAMING*, and I can join a team and see my progress.

This is all a bit much for me right now as time is cramped, but if an experienced user wouldnt mind throwing me the program that would do the above.

I can get the login stuff myself, and all that, I just dont know where to start. Im usually pretty good with figureing this stuff out myself, but in this case I dont want to download/use something that could be harming my system with undue stress.

Thanks,

Dan

p.s. Running xp 32 bit, if that helps.
Old December 20, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They are all just distributed computing programs, like Gnome used to be or I believe SETI operates the same way, I am familiar with F @H, never ran Bionic or Rosetta, but it is easy enough what do you want it to run on? CPU, GPU?

It is going to use idle cycles what ever the program, so will it affect gaming, no it wont, while gaming any "free" cycles will be used by F @H. In other words you should never see a slow down or loss of FPS in games, same holds true for the CPU versions, when you surfing ect, ect, folding will eat up those cycles as you place demands on the cpu/gpu folding will scale back since there is less "free" cycles.

Now about stressing your system.
I know the SMP client allows you to set how much of you processing power you use, at 100% your cpu/gpu will be operating at 100% capacity all the time but you can set that within % so if heat is a concern, remember this is like running orthos 24/7 at 100% theres going to be a hella lot of heat dumped into your system. But again if thats a problem just scale it back to 75-80% what ever you can live with.

Setting it up: just download the client and install easy as that, you'll need a Name and team number remember, Team#54196

I say install it and see what you think, not everones system is capable of handling the heat dumps but if you have decent cooling I don't see a problem.

Then use F@HMON to monitor your workunits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Rosetta uses the Bionic program as its manager. What most people here do is run Rosetta(BIONIC) on their CPU's, and Folding@Home on their GPU's. If you want to go full out, balls to the wall, that's what I would recommend.

That said, if you want to just "set and forget" and have it not affect your general everyday computing(and gaming ), then go with rosetta@home(BIONIC), with nothing running on the GPU.

Rosetta @ Home - Setup Guide

Last edited by Chilly; December 20, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old December 20, 2008, 10:32 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4ng3r View Post
I am getting more confused.

I just built a sweet new system:

corsair vx450 psu
p5q3 Deluxe mobo
xeon e3110
hd4850

So... I want to start contributing to HWC.

There is Rosetta, there is Folding, there is some sort of bionic thing.. what are the differences?

I dont want to stress my system 24/7, I just want to help out. My video card gets pretty hot, so I dont want to stress that. I just want a program I can set, forget about, it *WONT AFFECT MY GAMING*, and I can join a team and see my progress.

This is all a bit much for me right now as time is cramped, but if an experienced user wouldnt mind throwing me the program that would do the above.

I can get the login stuff myself, and all that, I just dont know where to start. Im usually pretty good with figureing this stuff out myself, but in this case I dont want to download/use something that could be harming my system with undue stress.

Thanks,

Dan

p.s. Running xp 32 bit, if that helps.
Both Folding@Home [F@H] and Rosetta@Home [R@H] are programs that conduct research into proteins that don't fold correctly.
Boinc is a manager application for monitoring different Distributed Computing applications not including F@H.
For your setup your best going with Rosetta as it is a set and forget app that won't effect your gaming. Go here Rosetta@home and click the 'Download, install and run Boinc' link on the left and it will download the right client for your system

Old December 20, 2008, 02:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

What LCB001 said - using BOINC w/Rosetta is as easy as that. And it won't affect your gaming, and your GPU won't be used.

Welcome to the Team!
Old December 20, 2008, 02:28 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks, she is set up now :)

Looks like multicoloured streamers dancing around in the visual setting.