Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding Through A VPN??

Hey everyone, my work computers are all online via a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
Is there a way to get them to fold as well? I figured since I'm not here for 14 hours a day, they could be doing something constructive for the team.

All systems are Optiplex 755 E8400 series Desktops.
Computing power!!!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It's only a matter of installing BOINC on all of them, and making sure they all have access to the 'net. Simple as that. How many are you talking about?
Old December 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
It's only a matter of installing BOINC on all of them, and making sure they all have access to the 'net. Simple as that. How many are you talking about?

Okay, I'll attempt it with one tommorow and see what happens.

The Tally here is,

Dell Optiplex 755 8400 Series x 20

ST

*** EDIT , Add 9 Optiplex 620's - Prescott 90nm 3.4 gHz Single Core P4's with HT.

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Last edited by Soultribunal; December 18, 2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old December 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Whoa. With BOINC, we'll break the Top 5 with your Farm. You've installed BOINC before? Download, create your account linking the HWC Team and crunch for Rosetta@Home. Relatively easy, much more stable that F@H.

Those will be a great addition to the Team!
Old December 18, 2008, 02:45 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If you decide to fold using the Rosetta@Home software for your work computers you can d/l the software here; Rosetta@home. Boinc is a manager application that lets you control which projects you want to crunch for, F@H is separate and cannot be run through Boinc. A lot of the HWC Folding Team like to use Folding@Home for their GPU's and crunch with Rosetta@Home on their CPU's. Rosetta@Home is alot easier to set up and is more of a set and forget application. If you need any help just shout...

Old December 18, 2008, 06:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Will do, I'll try loading it onto a computer at work tommorow and see what happens.
If it doesn't interfere with any of our corporate software packages, I'll start the mass loading.

Why now right? They just idle all night anyways...

ST

Old December 18, 2008, 06:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can configure BOINC to use a certain % of the CPU. In order to not disrupt your corporate software, choose 75% at first; you can always increase more later.
Old December 23, 2008, 07:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Okay CPU F@H worked flawlessly on Test Desktop.
So I know it won't bug any of the other software onboard this system.
However, GPU F@H failed at random spots,

The Log stated;

NAS detected on GPU

And then it would re-start the process.

The GPU (according to the Computer)
is a ATI Radeon 3470 @ 256MEG.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!
ST

Old December 23, 2008, 07:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The GPU Client is asking too much of the video card. I would not use that.

But why use the F@H CPU Client? Use BOINC, it will be much more efficient, and easier to manage.
Old December 23, 2008, 08:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Charlie, that was my fault I forgot that that was the one you guys had all said to install.
I will attempt that today at some point and make sure it works.

Fair enough on the GPU, I figured they had those in there too so I'd attempt to double work all the Workstations!

Damn you Dell!!!

ST