Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Folding Through A VPN?? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/13027-folding-through-vpn.html)

Soultribunal December 18, 2008 12:43 PM

Folding Through A VPN??

Hey everyone, my work computers are all online via a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
Is there a way to get them to fold as well? I figured since I'm not here for 14 hours a day, they could be doing something constructive for the team.

All systems are Optiplex 755 E8400 series Desktops.
Computing power!!!

ST

3.0charlie December 18, 2008 12:48 PM

It's only a matter of installing BOINC on all of them, and making sure they all have access to the 'net. Simple as that. How many are you talking about?

Soultribunal December 18, 2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 128550)
It's only a matter of installing BOINC on all of them, and making sure they all have access to the 'net. Simple as that. How many are you talking about?

Okay, I'll attempt it with one tommorow and see what happens.

The Tally here is,

Dell Optiplex 755 8400 Series x 20

ST

*** EDIT , Add 9 Optiplex 620's - Prescott 90nm 3.4 gHz Single Core P4's with HT.

3.0charlie December 18, 2008 01:07 PM

Whoa. With BOINC, we'll break the Top 5 with your Farm. You've installed BOINC before? Download, create your account linking the HWC Team and crunch for Rosetta@Home. Relatively easy, much more stable that F@H.

Those will be a great addition to the Team!

LCB001 December 18, 2008 02:45 PM

If you decide to fold using the Rosetta@Home software for your work computers you can d/l the software here; Rosetta@home. Boinc is a manager application that lets you control which projects you want to crunch for, F@H is separate and cannot be run through Boinc. A lot of the HWC Folding Team like to use Folding@Home for their GPU's and crunch with Rosetta@Home on their CPU's. Rosetta@Home is alot easier to set up and is more of a set and forget application. If you need any help just shout...

Soultribunal December 18, 2008 06:25 PM

Will do, I'll try loading it onto a computer at work tommorow and see what happens.
If it doesn't interfere with any of our corporate software packages, I'll start the mass loading.

Why now right? They just idle all night anyways...

ST

3.0charlie December 18, 2008 06:32 PM

You can configure BOINC to use a certain % of the CPU. In order to not disrupt your corporate software, choose 75% at first; you can always increase more later.

Soultribunal December 23, 2008 07:34 AM

Okay CPU F@H worked flawlessly on Test Desktop.
So I know it won't bug any of the other software onboard this system.
However, GPU F@H failed at random spots,

The Log stated;

NAS detected on GPU

And then it would re-start the process.

The GPU (according to the Computer)
is a ATI Radeon 3470 @ 256MEG.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!
ST

3.0charlie December 23, 2008 07:50 AM

The GPU Client is asking too much of the video card. I would not use that.

But why use the F@H CPU Client? Use BOINC, it will be much more efficient, and easier to manage.

Soultribunal December 23, 2008 08:20 AM

Charlie, that was my fault I forgot that that was the one you guys had all said to install.
I will attempt that today at some point and make sure it works.

Fair enough on the GPU, I figured they had those in there too so I'd attempt to double work all the Workstations!

Damn you Dell!!!

ST