Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2008, 08:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default New GPU core released for ATI cards

Stanford has released a new core [v1.22] for ATI cards, it includes optimizations for GPU and CPU usage.
See Folding Forum • View topic - New ATI core (v1.22) released for details...

Old December 19, 2008, 05:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Any news on what it does for PPD?
Old December 19, 2008, 09:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

On certain WU's I've seen my PPD go from 2600 to 3100. But it seems to use more CPU cycles again, at least on Vista 64.
Old December 19, 2008, 10:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

nice, thanks for the info!
|::|CPU: i7 920 "D0"@?|::|MOBO: EVGA Classified|::|RAM: 6GB G.Skill Trident ddr3|::|GPU: BFG GTX 275|::|HDD: 2xSamsung F1 1TB|::|PSU: Ultra X3 1000W|::|Sound: Xonar DX|::|Powered by Heatkiller 3.0 LT/EK GTX275/EK Classified/Feser One X-360 TFC|::|Silverstone TJ 07
LCD: Samsung T260 25,5|::|Logitech Z5500
Project: Classified by Hausner - work in progress.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ati core optimization questions/observations

Some observations

After some playing around with the new cores I have noticed the cpu processor flag doesnt affect the gpu core usage, 99.99 on gpu core even with cpu usage flag at 50 percent. Cpu values drop approx 50 percent but gpu stays high. Adjusting priority acted like an on/off switch for the whole process. Idle shut it all down and low gave gpu 99.99 percent.
I dont think the gpu's will last very long running at bawls out 24/7, Niether Crysis or 3D mark tag 99.9 percent gpu usage.
Does anybody know how to get these beasts to run gpu core(s) at say 90 percent ?

Did anyone figure how to keep the affinity for each core to stay locked in? As it stands you can adjust the affinity, assign a specific core and it stays with it until the wu is finished, then the replacment wu takes all 4 cores again. I was looking for soming that would reassign new wu to same core to keep everything at an even keel.
Old December 30, 2008, 12:05 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Some observations

After some playing around with the new cores I have noticed the cpu processor flag doesnt affect the gpu core usage, 99.99 on gpu core even with cpu usage flag at 50 percent. Cpu values drop approx 50 percent but gpu stays high. Adjusting priority acted like an on/off switch for the whole process. Idle shut it all down and low gave gpu 99.99 percent.
I dont think the gpu's will last very long running at bawls out 24/7, Niether Crysis or 3D mark tag 99.9 percent gpu usage.
Does anybody know how to get these beasts to run gpu core(s) at say 90 percent ?

Did anyone figure how to keep the affinity for each core to stay locked in? As it stands you can adjust the affinity, assign a specific core and it stays with it until the wu is finished, then the replacment wu takes all 4 cores again. I was looking for soming that would reassign new wu to same core to keep everything at an even keel.
As far as I know there is no way to lower the GPU usage besides the lower priority option. There should be the option to lock the GPU to a core in the config setup...

Old December 30, 2008, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The CPU usage flag works for my GPU.
I just set it to 75%, and in CCC I'm reading the GPU "Activity" meter as 74%. Oddly enough, the GPU usage and CPU usage of my FahCore_11 are linked... it's also using 75% of one CPU core (Phenom 9950 OC to 2.87 GHz, single Radeon 4850). Now to wait for my inevitable UNSTABLE_MACHINE :P
Old December 30, 2008, 08:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent news LCB. I sort of got used to averaging 3200ppd with my 4850 until all the new stingy time consuming projects hit us so if this new core helps get me back up a little this is great news.

*Edit: I'm such a nubcake. I can't figure out how to get the new core working. I followed the link and one post in that thread said to delete the .exe and just fire it back up and it would d/l the new core np. I get some sort of network access error and it won't d/l. so I suppy the location of the downloadable client and it just seems to reinstall the same core from Oct. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Last edited by Alwaysrun; December 30, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old December 30, 2008, 08:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Excellent news LCB. I sort of got used to averaging 3200ppd with my 4850 until all the new stingy time consuming projects hit us so if this new core helps get me back up a little this is great news.

*Edit: I'm such a nubcake. I can't figure out how to get the new core working. I followed the link and one post in that thread said to delete the .exe and just fire it back up and it would d/l the new core np. I get some sort of network access error and it won't d/l. so I suppy the location of the downloadable client and it just seems to reinstall the same core from Oct. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?
Are you using the 6.23 client from here Folding@home - DownloadWinOther the new v1.22 core won't run without it...

Old January 7, 2009, 06:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Update

Priority for gpu core works provided you dont use affinity to alienate the gpu proceess to a single cpu core.
CPU core usage is roughly 14-18 percent per gpu task.