Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2008, 01:51 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Lightbulb Why F@H; Alzheimer's Simulation work published ; Update Added!!

This is why I F@H.

From the blog of Prof. Vijay Pande: Folding@home
December 08, 2008

Folding@home Alzheimer's Simulation work published

I am very happy to announce that a first key work (paper #58 at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers) from the Folding@home project on Alzheimer's Disease (AD) was just published
Simulating oligomerization at experimental concentrations and long timescales: A Markov state model approach, by Nicholas W. Kelley, V. Vishal, Grant A. Krafft, and Vijay S. Pande. J. Chem. Phys. 129, 214707 (2008); DOI:10.1063/1.3010881
url: Cookies Required
Abeta misfolding and aggregation is believed to be the cause of Alzheimer's Disease. Simulations, like Folding@home, are a natural way to understand this process. However, there are several key challenges for simulating the key step -- oligomerization. This work represents a new way to simulate Abeta oligomerization, with a key advance of being able to simulate experimentally relevant timescales and concentrations, using a novel method. We use this new method and the power provided by Folding@home donors to simulate oligomerization in all-atom detail. This has lead to specific predictions about the process, which we are now testing experimentally.

In many ways, this paper is the "tip of the iceberg" for the Folding@home activities in AD, with a lot more interesting results to come, especially in terms of experimental tests of our predictions and interesting new possibilities for new drugs and AD therapeutics. So, while we're excited that this result is now past peer review, we're even more excited for what's coming down the pipeline, waiting peer review. We'll keep you posted as more results become public, hopefully with some even bigger announcements in 2009.

UPDATE:
It was asked which clients participated. This work started several years ago and took some time to analyze and then publish. So, it ran exclusively on classic clients. For the follow up simulations, we are using a mixture of GPU, SMP, and classic clients. Due to the large number of classic clients, they allow us to calculations not possible on the other platforms. However, the raw speed (but smaller number) of the GPU and SMP clients allow us to get a good rough idea quickly, refining later with classic clients.

Posted at 10:33 AM in Science | Permalink | Comments (3)

I can't wait to see what results the SMP and GPU clients will be able to generate...

Edit// Added Update

December 18, 2008

New FAH results on possible new Alzheimer's drug presented

This is very preliminary news, but something I'm very, very excited about, so I'll give some advance news. On Tuesday, we presented our results regarding new possible drugs (small molecule leads) to fight Alzheimer's Disease at a recent meeting at Stanford. This meeting was part of the NIH Roadmap Nanomedicine center (Center for Protein Folding Machinery) retreat and was supported by NIH grants to Folding@home.
It's very early (so we are not publicly talking about the details until this has passed peer review), but we are very excited that it looks like we may have multiple small molecules which appear to inhibit toxicity of Abeta, the protein which is the toxic element in Alzheimer's Disease.

This is exciting in many ways. It's been a long road for FAH to get to this point, but we are starting to see the possibility of seeing these results published easily before our 10th birthday (October 2010). Considering all the technology development that had to be done in the first five years, these results have come very quickly (in the last 3 years), which is exciting. In particular, we are now looking to apply these methods to other protein misfolding diseases (we have pilot projects for Huntington's Disease underway).

Finally, I should stress that while we're very excited about this, it's still early and a lot can go wrong between where we are and having a drug that doctors can prescribe. Over the holidays, we will be double checking the experimental data, crossing t's and dotting i's to make sure there is nothing missed before we think about submitting this for peer reviewed publication. Also, there is still a long way from an interesting possible drug (where we are now) to something which has passed FDA clinical trials (where we'd love to be), and a lot can go wrong in clinical trials in particular.

Thus, this is an important milestone for FAH and we are very grateful to all who have contributed. Happy holidays to all!

Last edited by LCB001; December 18, 2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added Update
Old December 9, 2008, 02:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

We so totally rock.
Old December 9, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wewt !

Old December 9, 2008, 05:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Looks like our clients are starting to get some real work done :)
Fold for team #54196
Old December 9, 2008, 07:46 PM
Top Prospect

Fold for the future!

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old December 9, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Good Job guys!

We Need more for the Fight!
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old December 18, 2008, 05:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thumbs up Update on Alzheimer's

Update from the blog of Prof. Pandes, I have added this to the first post

December 18, 2008

New FAH results on possible new Alzheimer's drug presented

This is very preliminary news, but something I'm very, very excited about, so I'll give some advance news. On Tuesday, we presented our results regarding new possible drugs (small molecule leads) to fight Alzheimer's Disease at a recent meeting at Stanford. This meeting was part of the NIH Roadmap Nanomedicine center (Center for Protein Folding Machinery) retreat and was supported by NIH grants to Folding@home.
It's very early (so we are not publicly talking about the details until this has passed peer review), but we are very excited that it looks like we may have multiple small molecules which appear to inhibit toxicity of Abeta, the protein which is the toxic element in Alzheimer's Disease.

This is exciting in many ways. It's been a long road for FAH to get to this point, but we are starting to see the possibility of seeing these results published easily before our 10th birthday (October 2010). Considering all the technology development that had to be done in the first five years, these results have come very quickly (in the last 3 years), which is exciting. In particular, we are now looking to apply these methods to other protein misfolding diseases (we have pilot projects for Huntington's Disease underway).

Finally, I should stress that while we're very excited about this, it's still early and a lot can go wrong between where we are and having a drug that doctors can prescribe. Over the holidays, we will be double checking the experimental data, crossing t's and dotting i's to make sure there is nothing missed before we think about submitting this for peer reviewed publication. Also, there is still a long way from an interesting possible drug (where we are now) to something which has passed FDA clinical trials (where we'd love to be), and a lot can go wrong in clinical trials in particular.

Thus, this is an important milestone for FAH and we are very grateful to all who have contributed. Happy holidays to all!

This is why we FOLD

Old December 18, 2008, 06:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This is why I don't turn of my computer now.
Thanks HWC for letting me into the 'fold'.

I'll keep doing it until this computer decides to join my old computers!!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 18, 2008, 06:37 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Hopefully some people will get some new gear over the holidays that will get us crunching some more ppd
Fold for team #54196
Old December 18, 2008, 07:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Hopefully some people will get some new gear over the holidays that will get us crunching some more ppd
Amen to that, I won't be getting anything new till spring, hoping to get an i7 and experiment with linux in a VM. The linux SMP with the a2 core is supposed to produce much higher PPD, one poster on the Folding forums was getting over 7700 ppd with HT and the -smp 8 flag.
What we need is to lure people like 3oh6 over to our team, twin 280's on a i7 board with 8 threads of WCG on the side, Wow!!...