Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2009, 10:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by netforce View Post
Wow... looks like the VMware folding is really stressing the CPU out. I have my I7 at 4Ghz with 1.27 vcore... i thought it was stable until i started folding with it. I guess i'll have to play around, and figure out if it's the memory or cpu that's causing BSOD. It runs fine for a couple hours before it crashes :(.

On a side note... how do i check my PPD for the VMware folding under linux?
My GTX 295 is giving me between 10k to 17k depending on the WU. I would love to know what my total would be.
Most of the Folders here will tell you that the combination of CPU and GPU Folding is one of the best methods for stress testing your rig.

I believe towards the end of that thread on VMWare Folding you linked they mention how to get the new version of FahMon to see the VM's. I think this is the right post Core i7 Folding - how to increase your PPD - Page 8 - Xtreme CPU

You should be getting some really nice PPD from that combo, let us know how it goes...

Old April 7, 2009, 10:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Download the new version of Fahmon (2.3.99). Add client. Use address of "http://192.168.0.19x/1" for client address. Check client is a VM box.

My i7 at 3.8 Ghz went from 4400 ppd to 9000 currently. (2250 PPD per VM instance).

This was fairly simple to set up if you follow the directions exactly. You must be running a 64bit version of Windows for this to work though. This works with Core 2 Duos and Quads too, you run one VM for every 2 cores. You need 1.1GB of ram available for every VM too. Good thing I got that 6GB kit last week.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Download the new version of Fahmon (2.3.99). Add client. Use address of "http://192.168.0.19x/1" for client address. Check client is a VM box.

My i7 at 3.8 Ghz went from 4400 ppd to 9000 currently. (2250 PPD per VM instance).

This was fairly simple to set up if you follow the directions exactly. You must be running a 64bit version of Windows for this to work though. This works with Core 2 Duos and Quads too, you run one VM for every 2 cores. You need 1.1GB of ram available for every VM too. Good thing I got that 6GB kit last week.
That's a nice boost, any conflicts with the GPU client ?. I looked at that guide and am thinking of trying it on my Q9550, seems easy enough even I might be able to make it work.

Imagine that, something to do with linux that's written in understandable english...

Old April 7, 2009, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
That's a nice boost, any conflicts with the GPU client ?. I looked at that guide and am thinking of trying it on my Q9550, seems easy enough even I might be able to make it work.

Imagine that, something to do with linux that's written in understandable english...
Yup. I love how the include the VMware image. It makes things a lot easier.

I had no conflicts with the GPU console
Old April 7, 2009, 10:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not having any conflicts. Fahmon reports the GPU client as hung, but it's still processing away. That has to do with a timezone thing, my VM's have the right local time, but the GPU client shows UTC or Greenwich time. And checking the asynchronous time box doesn't seem to help.

The nice thing is you can "power off" the VM without losing your progress. I lost my Windows SMP client files about half the time I had to stop them for a reboot/whatever.

And I removed my system password, so if windows reboots for some reason, it will boot back up and reload the VM's. I still have to test my batch file though. Tomorrow.

Edit:
"Imagine that, something to do with linux that's written in understandable english..."

LOL, I've been mucking around with Ubuntu for a year or so. It just brings back my MS-DOS 6.22 days. Different commands, same results usually.

Double Edit:
Make sure your router has MAC filtering turned off, too. You can set the config files to use static IP's, but it's easiest to let your router to handle it.

Last edited by SugarJ; April 7, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old April 7, 2009, 11:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I'm not having any conflicts. Fahmon reports the GPU client as hung, but it's still processing away. That has to do with a timezone thing, my VM's have the right local time, but the GPU client shows UTC or Greenwich time. And checking the asynchronous time box doesn't seem to help.

The nice thing is you can "power off" the VM without losing your progress. I lost my Windows SMP client files about half the time I had to stop them for a reboot/whatever.

And I removed my system password, so if windows reboots for some reason, it will boot back up and reload the VM's. I still have to test my batch file though. Tomorrow.

Edit:
"Imagine that, something to do with linux that's written in understandable english..."

LOL, I've been mucking around with Ubuntu for a year or so. It just brings back my MS-DOS 6.22 days. Different commands, same results usually.
Well I can recognize a command line and that's about it now, but from what you and netforce say it sounds doable. It would be nice to have a CPU client that can compete with the GPU client point wise. Since it dosn't interfere with the GPU I might try it, with all the new horsepower folks are picking up I'm going to need all the help I can get.

I'm surprised you had so many problems with losing WU's shutting the SMP client down, I think the only time I've lost one recently was due to power outages...

Old April 8, 2009, 10:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I had the SMP console clients set up in their own directories, do the Ctrl-C to shut them down, restart and they'd be missing work files. Lately I've just been leaving them going while I game, but it caused some stuttering.

I should be pushing 15,000 PPD over the weekend, as I'll be away. We'll see how it goes.
Old April 8, 2009, 01:13 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have the same problem, time-to-time on the i7. CTRL+C on 1 client, the other errors out.
Old April 8, 2009, 01:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I have the same problem, time-to-time on the i7. CTRL+C on 1 client, the other errors out.
EXACTLY!
Old April 10, 2009, 11:05 AM
Rookie

just added my PS3 to the swarm :)