Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2009, 03:58 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxman View Post
Here's a new member of the HWC FAH team!

I'm currently running the V6 GPU2 system tray client on Vista 32 bits. My graphic card is a stock Asus EN8600GTS -- guess it's better than nothing (or running the CPU client, which I didn't want to anyway). The temperature of the GPU (reported by NVIDIA monitoring tool) is staying below 60 degrees Celsius, so I guess everything is under control.

Note that since I'm a bit cheap and eco-friendly, I won't be running the client when it's going to get hotter here (which will takes a couple of months and won't last long). Also, I won't be running the client 24/7 since I don't usually leave my computer turned on during the night and I'm also often on my Linux-based OS.
Welcome to the Team, every bit helps. For an extra little boost, you could up the shaders a bit which would produce very little extra heat or use much extra power. The core and memory don't have much of an impact on Folding and so don't need a boost.

Once you are credited with your first WU, apply for a Folding Tag here Folding tag requests

Old February 11, 2009, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I guess I should have posted here a couple of days ago but didn't see the thread, I just started to fold here three days ago, my Mother has had colon cancer twice and the idea that we can help contribute to the cure of diseases appeals to me... plus I spent all this money on a system that sits idle most of the time, might as well let it work for a good cause! Plus I can't help looking at the stats... fold, fold, fold...
Old February 11, 2009, 05:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Alright, I'll look a bit on overclocking the shaders eventually, just to see.

Old February 11, 2009, 06:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecher View Post
I guess I should have posted here a couple of days ago but didn't see the thread, I just started to fold here three days ago, my Mother has had colon cancer twice and the idea that we can help contribute to the cure of diseases appeals to me... plus I spent all this money on a system that sits idle most of the time, might as well let it work for a good cause! Plus I can't help looking at the stats... fold, fold, fold...
That's a good sign, means you have the 'Folding Bug'. The next symptom is you start spending all your spare time thinking of ways to get another Folding box going...

Old February 11, 2009, 06:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

lol, I was just thinking, I could make this one into a HTPC/ folding rig... then I could build a new system, but I got the look of death from the wife.. maybe next winter!
Old February 11, 2009, 07:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecher View Post
Hope she is doing much better.

Yeah, stats watching is fun, and they guys here are pretty supportive and there is what is known as "gracious professionalism" here (helping those while competing...anybody here who ever did FIRST Robotics knows that term very well). All for a great cause as you mentioned.

Welcome to the team!
Fold for team #54196
Old March 1, 2009, 06:45 AM
Top Prospect

Just joined up.
Got my E8400 going 1x thru the tray icon, 4670, and my CoreDuo MacBook going.
Processor is at 45C, GPU at 52C, and MacBook is at like 80C.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:47 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Be careful Folding on the Lappy - the HSF may have a hard time taking care of the heat load.

And Welcome to the Team!
Old March 1, 2009, 07:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Be careful Folding on the Lappy - the HSF may have a hard time taking care of the heat load.

And Welcome to the Team!
I had to cancel the laptop. My wife complained about the fan noise while cruising facebook.

It seems like the GPU client produces the most WU/day anyways.
Old March 7, 2009, 05:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hey guys, I've joined the team as promised to Nademon in exchange for being included as a tester in the IC7 promo since I didn't meet the post count or membership term requirement. So I don't sound too apathetic or give the impression I'm only doing this for a tube of thermal compound, a little about me: I had considered running F@H on my old P4 but chose World Community Grid instead, which does a variety of distributed computing projects. Of course, now that I have a multicore and more than 512MB of RAM, I'm glad to fold for team HWC and help you fine folks and the global community out. I personally don't have a huge investment in the protein folding research as my family's lucky enough to not have any untreatable disorders as of yet. My uncle (my favorite one at that) has diabetes and I have chronic depression, though, and if I remember my Bio classes correctly, research in the nature of proteins could help just about every medical problem out there.

Good to join the team! I think I'll see if I can convince my school's tech teachers to make F@H a standard program