Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2009, 08:24 AM
MVP
F@H

I'm trying this out too. I setup one folder of it (with 2 cores) and it already hung on me . I restarted the vmplayer thingee and fahmon is still showing hung at 5%. My CPU seems to be working, but I can't tell if it's paused or what. Any suggesstions or guidance?

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old April 10, 2009, 08:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
I just wish Stanford would hurry up and get the new Windows SMP client going, yes I know, good luck with that...
Agreed LCB. It's my 6 month B-day today folding and progress to enhance all the clients has been promised since I joined. It's time Pande group got to work and stopped using the term "beta" like it's some catch all word to retort when people complain the software is weak.

Maybe someone could write a short history of HWC forums folding, it sure would be nice if some of the old guard could join us crossing the top 100 seeing they got the ball rolling way back. I wonder who's our longest running active folder and what kind of ppd people were getting when the team was new. Anyone know what date the HWC team started? I tried to see but the charts don't have a "First record" column for teams.
Old April 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
But now that we have a guide that has everything including PICTURES, there really is not very much of an excuse not to go the VMWare route (yes, I'm looking at you, 3.0charlie )
@zlojack: Wow that evga guide was excellent. All done and folding, and being monitored by FaHMon to boot.

Changing the priority of the virtual machines to low is key for sure...I left the VMs go at default and the gpu clients took a dive in PPD.

I'll report back in an hour or so and see what kind of PPD I am getting, and if there is any decrease in GPU2 PPD, and if its worth it.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 10, 2009, 08:44 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nademon View Post
I'm trying this out too. I setup one folder of it (with 2 cores) and it already hung on me . I restarted the vmplayer thingee and fahmon is still showing hung at 5%. My CPU seems to be working, but I can't tell if it's paused or what. Any suggesstions or guidance?
Keep checking to see if it never leaves 5%. FahMon will show 'hung' if the clocks on the computers are off, and with the virtual machine, it might be a time issue, and not a folding one.

If you keep getting 'hung', try in FanHon menu at the top:
FahMon->Preferences->Monitoring(tab)->check 'Ignore asynchronous clocks'

Then, FahMon will ignore the time differences, and show you your PPD. (just make sure it proceeds past the 5%, or whatever it is on)
Fold for team #54196
Old April 10, 2009, 09:20 AM
MVP
F@H

Thanks Chris!

ok...so did the Ignore asynchronous clocks thing and the progress has gone to 8% now, so obiously it's not hung. But it's not showing me any PPD numbers so I have no idea what's going on in terms of performance. Will the PPD show up if I just wait long enough?

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old April 10, 2009, 09:31 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Hey nade: I am seeing the same behaviour as yourself.

I usually see the 'hung' notice when using FahMon over the network, and the ignore asynchronous clocks usually clears them up. Monitoring these vmware machines is also done over the network (I assume, as you need to enter the ip address of the virtual machine to get to the log file that FahMon uses to display the PPD).

In short, it may clear up once FahMon has had a chance to let the virtual machines do a few more steps. I just started with the Vms this am too, so I am not sure. I am going to wait a few more hours, or even tomorrow and if it is still not calculating PPD, I'll do some more research or try fahSpy and see if that works any better.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 10, 2009, 09:46 AM
MVP
F@H

Cool...so i'm not alone. I did enter the ip address too so I know it's kinda working since it's showing progress (up to 9% now from 5%). I think I shutdown and restarted the client for no reason earlier when I saw FahMon saying it was hung! It's really frustrating no being able to see PPD for an indication of what's going on. Also, are you choosing large or normal sized projects ? I'm running it on a Core2 Quad, so I'm not sure what would be better.

Also, I only setup 1 folder according to the setup guide instead of 4 since my 4870x2 uses quite a bit of CPU. According to the guide, I selected 2 cpu's/cores instead of four. The webpage for my IP says "SMP instance per 2 CPU's" so I assume it's using 1 smp instance over 2 cores of my quad? This is kind of confusing for me as I've never used VM or linux type stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Old April 10, 2009, 09:56 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Lol nade its kinda like the blind leading the blind here as I am new to the vmware too.

The guide recommends running vmware twice, and having each instance of vmware using two cores. This allows for utilization of all four cores. Why one would not just run 1 instance, and use all 4 cores I am not sure...just decided to follow the guide!

As for your decision of leaving 2 cores for your ATI card to fold, I think is sound. The ATI client needs more cpu cycles.

I am also wondering if my decision to set the vmware priority to 'low' is causing the 'hung' message? Perhaps FahMon just gets frustrated with the low priority. Perhaps playing around with that will help (no time for me now..heading out for a Marlies game, and doing some Guiness curls afterwards).
Fold for team #54196
Old April 10, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's a known issue with FAHMon. FAHSpy is the way to go if you're running VMWare.

Oh and Nademon, nice PPD man! You're going to pass me today, though next week I might catch you again when my other GTX 295 gets here
Old April 10, 2009, 10:07 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You ninja'd me zlojack...FahSpy works here too. Getting about ~2000PPD on each instance, for ~4000PPD on my Q6600 @3.0GHZ. Used to get about ~1500PPD on that cpu (not sure the projects)

No drops I can see on my GPU2 clients either!

edit: also getting ~1100PPD on the 6400+, which is 300 more than the Windows SMP!

Look at those suckers fold!
Fold for team #54196