Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2009, 09:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just checking the stats page this morning and low and behold a lost lamb folder has taken the field once again. SKYMTL!!! I always wondered what kind of ppd he could do with all those juicy new cards he tests. WCB SKY!

Ohh guys I wanted to ask a question about overclocking pertaining to folding. Is it possible to get higher shader clocks if I downclock the core? I'm getting the feeling that the core and shaders are somehow linked or share power or something.
Old January 15, 2009, 10:23 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Getting a higher shader OC by downclocking the core that is a good question. I tried this with my 9600GSO back in the fall when I first started fooling with Video card OC and I got no different results, but that was the only card I tried. Generally speaking, I am not sure, but is a good question!

Edit:
Saw this post on the folding forums: Folding Forum • View topic - Overclock for GPU F@H
"Good call on this one guys. I was able to unlink my shader and core frequency on my 8800 GTS's, so I lowered the core clock to 385mhz, lowered the memory clock to 595, and raised the shader clock to 1513 so far. My performance in the app has gone up about 30 percent, but my temperature for the card has dropped 10 degrees C so far. HUGE difference since my G80 core cards run hot to begin with."

Haven't verified this, I wonder if anybody else has tried? When I get home I'll see what I can do with my GTX+ on this, as I have not gotten any shader OC stable on that card, which is factory OC.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; January 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Contradicting info
Old January 15, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hmm... find that a bit strange... lowering core and memory clocks and still getting a 30% increase... WOW

We gotta look into that!
Old January 15, 2009, 11:36 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Folding performance is mostly dependent on the shaders, downclocking the core/mem. will lower internal temps. and enable a higher shader OC. Don't depend on the temp. sensors as they don't seem to read a higher temp. when your just OC'ing the shaders, increasing the fan speed as much as possible helps.

Old January 15, 2009, 12:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to try something crazy tonight after the first week of folding is done with this card. I should have a bunch of different WUs to compare the new results with. Maybe drop the core and mem by 25%, crank the fan as LCB suggests and give 'er hard on the shaders. I'm getting a series of those damn dirty 511 point WU's which I haven't gotten in the last 6 days, trust them to rear their ugly heads on the last day of my one week test.
Old January 15, 2009, 12:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
I'm going to try something crazy tonight after the first week of folding is done with this card. I should have a bunch of different WUs to compare the new results with. Maybe drop the core and mem by 25%, crank the fan as LCB suggests and give 'er hard on the shaders. I'm getting a series of those damn dirty 511 point WU's which I haven't gotten in the last 6 days, trust them to rear their ugly heads on the last day of my one week test.
I feel your pain, I'm getting them after a nice couple of weeks of easy Folding. Those WU's cost me ~1500ppd per card, so almost 4500ppd if I get on all three cards...

Old January 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have changed the core/shaders/mem speeds on my 9800GT:

450/1728/675 - minimum core and mem speeds.

Temps while folding are 79C, at 40% fan speed (Auto). I'd say it's pretty good, and so far stable (Project 5752).
Old January 15, 2009, 03:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If it keeps stable charlie thats a hefty jump. From 600/1500/900 to 450/1728/675 assuming your 9800gt is/was stock. 15.2% increase in shader clock sounds great but will it transfer to faster average time per frames. How do you guys compare before and after anyways? I'm just writing the average times per frame down because FAHmon will overwrite my benchmarks everytime I do the same project again.
Old January 15, 2009, 04:22 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, from stock speeds. What I'm amazed at though are the temps... as for how to compare? I keep a record of tpfs (time-per-frames): 2 min 20 seconds on the 5752 (511 pts) atm.
Old January 16, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1 questions using Windows XP/2003/Vista GPU System tray client with special viewer for NVIDIA GPU's

When ever I enable the display during a WU it crashes my computer anyone else experience this? I am currently using the 181.20 WHQL drivers after the computer restarts it states that error was caused by the device driver and that I should update them.

EE