Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2009, 04:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

A part of me likes to see that pirates are getting something 'good' slipped into their machines.

However, in one of the threads I read, the fear is this might get F@H flagged as malware if it starts to get installed in a stealthy manner such as this. Can make the whole project look bad.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 24, 2009, 04:56 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasheKicker View Post
Aye.

Well, I am split on this one...

OK so the team is getting unethical points, OK I understand that. They are giving the program unknowingly to software pirates, hmmm, lesser of 2 evils.

But ultimately, more users folding is the greater good for the cause is it not. Although I am disappointed in the unethical means it is good for the cause. NO? After all are we not folding for a cure, not for personal poins and satisfaction. Ok I like the points too.
More people Folding is good, doing it in a unethical way is not. The problem is it may backfire and turn people against Folding because of the way it was installed, not to mention giving the whole F@H effort an unsavoury reputation for using underhanded methods to recruit Folder's. It taints the entire project...

Old March 24, 2009, 04:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
A part of me likes to see that pirates are getting something 'good' slipped into their machines.

However, in one of the threads I read, the fear is this might get F@H flagged as malware if it starts to get installed in a stealthy manner such as this. Can make the whole project look bad.
Informed consent has been a hallmark of distributed computing from the earliest days. It was understood from the get-go that some folks might become a bit zealous with stealth installations, and that distributed computing would be dead in the water if that happened.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old March 24, 2009, 06:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
The folding forums can get pretty interesting actually. I followed a thread where some leaked 185.xx nvidia drivers were netting double points (ie. 13k ppd on a Core 216)...it was pretty fun to watch the frantic efforts in the threads to verify. In the end Stanford would not totally confirm that the science done by the leaked drivers were good or bad. In either case it looks pretty interesting....
That loophole has just been fixed, looks like that client /driver combo was sending back incomplete results but getting full points.

Stanford has just released a new 1.25v of the core that fixes this, your client will auto-update the next time it tries to d/l a new 59xx WU. Looks like there might be a ppd drop with this, Ouch...
Quote:
Re: Double your PPD almost ?

by ihaque on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 pm
There was a bug in the core that interacted with some changed behavior in the 185.20 driver. The good news is that it doesn't appear that this particular error "contaminated" any runs; the effect here was that some results were simply not calculated (and therefore not returned), not that returned results were corrupt. Core execution was faster precisely because not all the calculations were done.

I've released an updated version (1.25) of the core that appears to fix the bug; your clients should automatically update when they get a new 59xx WU assigned, or you can manually force an update by stopping the client, deleting FahCore_14.exe, and restarting. Please reply to this thread if you still see the PPD "doubling" with the 1.25 core, as the core results are definitely missing some returned data under those conditions.

Thanks to mikeb12, Turnoz, and the F@h beta testers for helping me to unravel this issue.

Old March 24, 2009, 06:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Lol I just finished reading this and came here and saw your update. For a bit there in the thread PPD doubled for multiple folders when playing media (ie mp3) with the new drivers. Pretty exciting there for a bit, but if it looks too good to be true (especially on beta/leaked software), it probably is!
Fold for team #54196
Old March 24, 2009, 06:38 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Lol I just finished reading this and came here and saw your update. For a bit there in the thread PPD doubled for multiple folders when playing media (ie mp3) with the new drivers. Pretty exciting there for a bit, but if it looks too good to be true (especially on beta/leaked software), it probably is!
It's actually worse, because of the extra error-checking ppd will drop slightly with all driver versions. At least now it will be the same for everyone...

Old March 24, 2009, 07:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
That loophole has just been fixed, looks like that client /driver combo was sending back incomplete results but getting full points.

Stanford has just released a new 1.25v of the core that fixes this, your client will auto-update the next time it tries to d/l a new 59xx WU. Looks like there might be a ppd drop with this, Ouch...

This is what i read today in Fahspy's log; I was surprised at this but now i understand why:

"[23:31:00] Error: Work unit read from disk is invalid
[23:31:00]
[23:31:00] Folding@home Core Shutdown: CORE_OUTDATED
[23:31:04] CoreStatus = 6E (110)
[23:31:04] + Core out of date. Auto updating...
[23:31:04] - Attempting to download new core...
[23:31:04] + Downloading new core: FahCore_14.exe

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post

ah yea I thought so.......glad I did'nt bother.
Old March 25, 2009, 01:29 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Well, ouch indeed. 1k ppd per 260...
Old March 25, 2009, 01:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yup I'm seeing decreases as well. My GTX 285s right now are pulling in ~7500PPD on a 1680 point WU....I don't recall ever seeing them that low.
Fold for team #54196