Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Are you sure? My 9800GT is doing 4000 ppd ATM, stock shaders.
I was'nt at first , but I've triple checked using the temp method via rivatuner/fahmon.

My 8800GTX is doing ~4700 PPD and my 9800GT is doing ~2900 PPD , both cards stock.

This is using the 175.19 forceware drivers , I have not upgraded them yet , so our numbers may differ.

Old January 9, 2009, 10:02 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It may vary depending on which WU is being folded, and the drivers do have a huge impact on the ppd.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah piss me off. Just when I get a decent folding card seems everyone else is upgrading to. I'd just like to see my #s in bright red instead of the Green or Orange I'm used to. I fold for COLORS! woot
Old January 9, 2009, 10:10 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
I was'nt at first , but I've triple checked using the temp method via rivatuner/fahmon.

My 8800GTX is doing ~4700 PPD and my 9800GT is doing ~2900 PPD , both cards stock.

This is using the 175.19 forceware drivers , I have not upgraded them yet , so our numbers may differ.

You will definately want to upgrade your drivers, I still use the 178.24's on my multi-gpu rig and find them very stable. The new card plus your buddy's PS3 should do alot towards your goal of Team domination that you stated awhile back...

Old January 9, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Phew.... Much better....! I downgraded to nVidia driver 180.48 and also decided to take of the metal covering of the 9800 GX2. Result: an 18 degrees difference compared to last last night!

Old January 9, 2009, 11:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry guys I'm a nvidia nublette here. I got the new drivers yesterday and so far I haven't had any bad WUs but would you advise me to use some older drivers? My temps are solid at 80C and only 55% fan speed and this card is dead silent. I'm really happy with this card but would you guys suggest I overclock the shaders and maybe up the fan speed? I tried using that EVGA precision tool and it works great! I don't hear the card over my Noctua's untill I put the fan at around 72% and my temps go from 80 to 59 C which in my mind is pretty damn good. I wanted to give this card a good 72 hour run but I'm ansy to see what I can crank it up to and still be folding stable.

Name:  folding260.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  116.1 KB
Old January 9, 2009, 11:50 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

@Alwaysrun: Try OCingt those shaders a little as they have the most impact on folding performance...1500MHZ is pretty common and you are at 1400. Your core is clocked at 666mhz though so your chip might be at a limit. I have my core at 575mhz and shaders at 1550mhz pretty comfortably.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 9, 2009, 01:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Alrighty I'll try the shaders at 1500 and test it in 3dmark Vantage as I got a free copy with my card. One question though...How come EVGAs Precision Tool has the shaders and Core slider locked together? I can unlock it but I'm just curious to why they have the sliders moving in unison, is there some advantage to having the them maintain a certain ratio?
Name:  Ptool.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  43.6 KB

Everyone seems to use RivaTuner but I'm ashamed to admit there's just so many options and it's rather bewildering to me.
Old January 9, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

The evga tuner you have a screenshot of there is a total ripoff of rivatuner.The graphs are basically copied.....

-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
You will definately want to upgrade your drivers, I still use the 178.24's on my multi-gpu rig and find them very stable. The new card plus your buddy's PS3 should do alot towards your goal of Team domination that you stated awhile back...
And you prolly thought I was talking smoke.Long way to go but on the way.....top 20 alltime and soon to be top 5 producer.

edit : I have no idea what a PS3 can do for PPD ?
Old January 9, 2009, 07:08 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Alrighty I'll try the shaders at 1500 and test it in 3dmark Vantage as I got a free copy with my card. One question though...How come EVGAs Precision Tool has the shaders and Core slider locked together? I can unlock it but I'm just curious to why they have the sliders moving in unison, is there some advantage to having the them maintain a certain ratio?
Attachment 4076

Everyone seems to use RivaTuner but I'm ashamed to admit there's just so many options and it's rather bewildering to me.
I don't think there is an advantage to having them locked. I wondered this too when I first used Rivatuner to OC my 9600GSO and it seems that the core needs to be at or less than 1/2 the speed of the shaders so they lock them in these utilities.

I have not used Evga's tool...as Braineater has mentioned, looks a lot like Rivatuners page, but oddly, your screenshot has everything I use (core, shaders, fan) all in one spot there. I would not be too worried about Rivatuner...I picked it up just a short while ago and there are lost of sites and threads with screen captures on the internets to get you through the basics no problem. I am not sure if Evgas utility is specific to their cards, while Rivatuner can be used with many.
Fold for team #54196