Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2009, 06:44 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Melted? Holy crap you have some heat issues ;P

Thanks 3.0 for mentioning the advmethods flag...never used it before. Now I got me a 420
Fold for team #54196
Old March 5, 2009, 06:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Melted as in they Failed, the let out the magic blue smoke.
And proceeded to burn.
Worst. Design. Ever.

Actually, I have never had Heat issues in this case.
Which, is a good thing really.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 5, 2009, 06:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thanks ST...I have one and if that happens I'll know not to get another!

Haha I remember when you first started to get this folding bug...seems so long ago since I did (lol...it was November....)
Fold for team #54196
Old March 5, 2009, 07:00 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post

Haha I remember when you first started to get this folding bug...seems so long ago since I did (lol...it was November....)
You've come a long way since then...

Old March 5, 2009, 07:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm getting there slowly, my GPU is the Fail part of my plans, but hey its doing something right?
I've had my eyes for This Apollo, on the 4670 from HIS. TD has it for 119, its tempting. 3000ppd is better than the paltry 900 this thing outputs.

One step at a time.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 5, 2009, 07:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post

You know, I was a skeptic on the vantec one (I think, i've tried all slot coolers).
And it really has showed me it can work, although it has a flaw too. The LED's dim fast on those cards but if you don't care about that, then your set.

I use Thermaltake A2426 Cyclo PCI Slot Fan (Blue LED) in Canada at TigerDirect.ca , to collect all the dust and cat hair on the bottom of my case because I can pull it apart in two minutes to clean.
Its a really oddball way to keep the rest of the system clean lol!

ST

Old March 5, 2009, 08:19 PM
MVP
F@H

@Soultribunal- i'd be more than happy to buy that slot cooler off ya if you're willin to part with it. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can work out the details.

UPDATE:

So, I decided enough was enough and put my head down, took a deeeeep breath, did a prayer and ripped apart my mint BFG 9800GX2. Kind of a PIA card to dismantle, but I got it done. removed the OEM TIM, blasted everything with high psi compressed air (there was hardly any dust at all though). I then applied some IC7 Diamond TIM, painstakingly put everything back together and plugged it back in. Turned on the computer and voila! Booted up fine.

So I started up the 2 GPU clients and let the GPU's roast. So what if any difference after almost 2 hours folding?

Before:
96-98C

Now:
83-84C

I mean holy crap man! What a huge difference. Now just gotta wait and see how the EUE situation pans out.

FYI guys and gals...keep your eyes open for an opportunity to possibly get some free IC7 Diamond paste. Be on the lookout for a thread (by me) in the next week or so for those that are interested in doing some testing.

Thanks for all the input folks...it's much appreciated. i may need some more help should I keep getting those damn EUE's.

D

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old March 5, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice work Nademon!

You're catching up to me! I need to start pushing more PPD!
Old March 5, 2009, 08:38 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nademon View Post
@Soultribunal- i'd be more than happy to buy that slot cooler off ya if you're willin to part with it. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can work out the details.

UPDATE:

So, I decided enough was enough and put my head down, took a deeeeep breath, did a prayer and ripped apart my mint BFG 9800GX2. Kind of a PIA card to dismantle, but I got it done. removed the OEM TIM, blasted everything with high psi compressed air (there was hardly any dust at all though). I then applied some IC7 Diamond TIM, painstakingly put everything back together and plugged it back in. Turned on the computer and voila! Booted up fine.

So I started up the 2 GPU clients and let the GPU's roast. So what if any difference after almost 2 hours folding?

Before:
96-98C

Now:
83-84C

I mean holy crap man! What a huge difference. Now just gotta wait and see how the EUE situation pans out.

FYI guys and gals...keep your eyes open for an opportunity to possibly get some free IC7 Diamond paste. Be on the lookout for a thread (by me) in the next week or so for those that are interested in doing some testing.

Thanks for all the input folks...it's much appreciated. i may need some more help should I keep getting those damn EUE's.

D
Well done, hopefully that does the trick. Keep us updated...

Old March 5, 2009, 08:43 PM
MVP
F@H

Thanks zlojack. don't think i'll be able to catch up to you considering you'll have 3 of those 285's pumping!

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU