Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2011, 08:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Shite happens...

On another subject, a 6904 finally popped up... and I may have to shut down the rig with Irene coming in tonight...
I keep my rigs running when Perinineum's mom blows through...she doesn't mind.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 29, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Shite happens...

On another subject, a 6904 finally popped up... and I may have to shut down the rig with Irene coming in tonight...
Roger that....

Apparently the east coast power grid has had a rough ride.

-----

I *still * can't get this damn rig to go......core status 63(99)....i've reinstalled everything 3 times.I'm wondering if I don't have bad hardware in the mix.

Haw Haw......*grumble*

Old August 29, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Apparently the east coast power grid has had a rough ride.
And apparently so too has chrisk!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old August 30, 2011, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
I *still * can't get this damn rig to go......core status 63(99)....i've reinstalled everything 3 times.I'm wondering if I don't have bad hardware in the mix.
What driver are you running? You can't fold on 27x and 28x drivers for some of the newer Fermi cards.

<topic switch>
It's always fun looking at old reviews to get old hardware folding again - a little bit of ACC tweaking and I got my secondary folding rig (Phenom 9950) up to 3.0 GHz with northbridge/HT overclocked to 2.2GHz.

I wonder how long it will last with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro exhausing up into the PSU, and mounted to a motherboard that has a 4+1 VRM configuration with no heat sinks... If this is alarming for you, let me know because it runs Linux and I can only check temps with an IR thermometer.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
Banned
F@H

how the heck are you getting 5k ppd lol?

turn off the bonus thing and check againe
Old August 30, 2011, 06:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Install Psensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
What driver are you running? You can't fold on 27x and 28x drivers for some of the newer Fermi cards.

<topic switch>
It's always fun looking at old reviews to get old hardware folding again - a little bit of ACC tweaking and I got my secondary folding rig (Phenom 9950) up to 3.0 GHz with northbridge/HT overclocked to 2.2GHz.

I wonder how long it will last with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro exhausing up into the PSU, and mounted to a motherboard that has a 4+1 VRM configuration with no heat sinks... If this is alarming for you, let me know because it runs Linux and I can only check temps with an IR thermometer.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestion, but psensor is based on lm-sensors which for some reason won't detect my CPU. The reason is probably this:

Quote:
(2009-12-06) Embedded sensors are known to be unreliable on the DR-BA, DR-B2, DR-B3, RB-C2 and HY-D0 revisions of the family 10h CPU, which will never be supported. Driver contributed by Clemens Ladisch, reviewed by Jean Delvare.
Devices

The best I can do is set a CPU overtemperature warning in BIOS and listen for the motherboard to start screaming. I have that limit set at 70C and it hasn't gone off with these settings.

EDIT: As for the VRMs, I decided to pull out the thermometer for everyone's enjoyment. The mobo doesn't have a VRM temp sensor so this is about as good as I can get

In case you don't quite notice the laser beam, it's pointed at a VRM chip between the CPU and the back I/O ports.
EDIT2: Oh yeah, and there's very warm air coming from the upper portion of the rear 120mm's exhaust stream

Last edited by frontier204; August 30, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:41 PM
Banned
F@H

thats pretty close to its max allowed operating temp, most probably.

get some better airflow in there.

doesnt that lankool have top exausts?

i find mobo componentry in the top half to be cooler even if its not sinked in a top

vented case vs a sinked solution where the top vents are not present or not actively used
Old August 31, 2011, 04:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As noted, the specs of that rig with the 111C is the following:
Phenom 9950 OC to 3.0 GHz / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
Gigabyte MA770-UD3
Cooler Master Elite 330
Seasonic M12 600W
Radeon 3650 Silent
So the "top exhaust" is my PSU...
With that case, I can't get better airflow without making it LOUD (e.g. install my 5000RPM fan), and I never cared about that Giga motherboard EDIT: evil experiments like this are a reason why I don't sell components!

The VRM FETs are rated at 150C (took a high res screenshot and checked the datasheet (K3919), - my guess though is the heat would mess up something beside them before I hit that temperature, perhaps warping a trace or heating up something beside the fet that isn't rated that high.
Old August 31, 2011, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
That's interesting...

I have 3 rigs , all asus p5 series , all running the same evga GTX580's. 2 of them run 275.33 flawlessly. , the third won't run with 275.33 or 280.26.

I will try a diff driver after work.