Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2011, 03:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yes. Kasson is one of the lead scientists at Pande Group/Stanford. he heads up many of the projects we work on.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 13, 2011, 03:32 PM
Banned
F@H

btw on older cpu's with ht like the pentium 4's we were better off turning ht off,but i see its quite encouraged these days :)
Old June 13, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Kasson is one of the lead scientists at Pande Group/Stanford.
Getting to know your friendly neighbourhood biochemists... Folding@home - People

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old June 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Yes. Kasson is one of the lead scientists at Pande Group/Stanford. he heads up many of the projects we work on.
he probably does not like it because his projects are the bad ppd ones on the the bad servers.
Well unless Stanford shuts that back door( And they could if they wanted to) I dont see anything wrong with it. They might sound concerned but all they want is for people to relax, and their hoping people forget about it. but I'm pretty sure PG is glad/ laughing that people are fighting for those Big-avgWU, That mean's the program IS working better than ever
Old June 13, 2011, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatcards View Post
he probably does not like it because his projects are the bad ppd ones on the the bad servers.
You can find out which researcher is running which project(s) here: Folding@Home Projects Summary

Kasson is indeed responsible for P6701 and P2684 that everybody loves to hate, but he is also to blame for P6900, P6901 and - most especially - P6903 that everybody loves to love. So you see, you gotta take the good with the bad - even when it comes to a single researcher.

And yes - PG has shut the back door by writing specific language against the practice into the Folding Practices Guidelines. By publishing these guidelines, PG has empowered themselves to take action against those who do what BWM has done going forward. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pande Group
Regarding The Project/Work Units (WUs)

• 1) Manipulating the Assignment Server ("AS") logic in any way to obtain high Points Per Day ("PPD") Work Units ("WU") and/or block low PPD WUs is strictly prohibited. Sources: (PG Member, Super Moderator)

2) Deleting/Dumping a WU for any reason other than the reasons mentioned below is prohibited (source : PG Member). Deleting WU disrupts the project since it will take longer for the WU to be completed as it will be reassigned once it passes its deadline. Deleting a WU solely because it produces low PPD is prohibited. The only permitted reasons for deleting/dumping WUs are:
    A) WU Instability -> If it happens, please report it in this Forum
    B) F@h Client instability -> If it happens, please report it in the appropriate F@h Client Forum
    C) Inability of the host system to complete the WU before the Final Deadline -> If it happens, please visit this thread to select a F@h Client that fits your needs.
    (Source: Site Admin)

3) Using flags/switches to mislead the AS is prohibited. Please refrain from "experimenting" with flags/switches since they were designed to be used for specific purposes. Source: (PG Member)

4) Using any means to force the F@h Client to download a WU that is not natively designed for the hardware it is running on is prohibited. (Sources: PG Member, PG Member)

5) Running a F@h Client on hardware that will only marginally meet the WUs Preferred Deadline is strongly discouraged. For example, it is not recommended to run bigadv units on slower i7 CPUs and it is not recommended to run SMP units on slower 2-core systems. If you notice that your hardware is not going to complete the assigned WU by the Final Deadline time, stop the client, delete the work unit, and please visit this thread to select a F@h Client that fits your needs.

6) Intentionally stopping/pausing the F@h Client to manipulate the completion time and wuresult upload time of WUs is prohibited.

Regarding The F@h Clients

• 1) Altering the F@h Client software, its associated data files or de-compiling/reverse engineering the software is in direct violation of EULA. (Sources: PG Member, PG Member)

2) Re-distributing the F@H files or packaging the F@H files inside another software package in a attempt to install F@H without the user's consent is strictly prohibited. (Sources: FAQs (see: running on authorized computers only), F@h Blog)

3) Using unpublished client switches for any reason is prohibited.

Old June 13, 2011, 08:50 PM
Banned
F@H

hold on a sec, if i use -forceasm -local -advmethods

is that bad? :)
Old June 13, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup. It makes the baby Jesus cry.

Old June 13, 2011, 09:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That was a good read DT, It explains alot. Looks like what they are doing is wrong. but if PG shortened the deadline date's on the WU's the reassigned down time would be minimal. How long does it really take to finish a WU. some of these deadline's are 40-90 days, thats crazy. Anyone here ever get one of those Folding@Home Projects Summary . 10 days Max is what the deadline should be even for part timers that only fold only at night or when their at work( min 5h/day for 10 days= 50 hours), If you cant do a WU with in that time your PC's running the wrong client
Old June 13, 2011, 10:14 PM
Banned
F@H

well maybe not.

i like timeless wu's for a few reasons..one of them being that some pcs,actually a lot of them,will be on for very little

time on a daily basis. thus it will take weeks maybe months to complete the one wu. makes perfect sense.
Old June 13, 2011, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i like timeless wu's for a few reasons..
I had an old P3 laptop that had reached (and passed) obsolescence. Instead of immediately becoming landfill, it spent the last three or so years of its life folding legacy uniproc projects. Eventually, it died a noble death and met its fate in landfill - but not before crunching through many of those long-turnaround projects.