Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks [email protected] Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2011, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, thats BS no matter how they try and justify it. We are folding for science and they are basically saying that certain projects arent worth their time because it doesnt give them enough points.

Disgusting.

Steam \ BFBC2 ID - Coffaholic | RIFT - Coffaholic \ Perspice Shard

Old June 12, 2011, 06:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The worst part of it is that although they don't download the WU and delete it, the assignment server marks the WU as assigned, and waits for the returned WU. It slows down the project. Kasson of the PG group has also pointed out this is wrong.

Lesson to be learned here is that we need to keep within the spirit of the project, even if there is not a specific 'rule' that forbids a practice.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
Banned
F@H

hmm

then they must not mark it as assigned,and have to configure the clients in such away that they confirm reception
of some kind,but with little bandwidth as possible
Old June 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
hmm

then they must not mark it as assigned,and have to configure the clients in such away that they confirm reception
of some kind,but with little bandwidth as possible
I don't think bwm can 'un-assign' a WU after the server has assigned it. Yes, bandwidth is not used but the server still marks it as assigned and will not give to anyone else until after the deadline.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 12, 2011, 07:21 PM
Banned
F@H

thats what im saying.

something built in the client that communicates back whenever it picks up a wu

not user frendly( aka screwable with :D)
Old June 12, 2011, 08:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
bwm has gotten those points in a manner that some think is wrong (including me). Brad has a script that blocks the IPs of servers that issue poor-performing WUs. Although he does not download and delete them, his systems reject the WUs the server wishes to assign him, which is not in the spirit of [email protected] We should be doing the work that Stanford has ready for us. It also leaves the poorly-performing WUs to the rest of us, leaving him unaffected, which is also not in the spirit of the fun competition we all take part in.

Here is a thread I saw regarding this a while back:
BWM and Cherry picking - [H]ard|Forum

This is all new news to me but I dont see it to be that big of a deal( Did not read the whole thing ). He's only getting 500,000ppd, that's hardly a drop in the bucket compared to what [email protected] does in a day. I'm sure their's still good WU's left over. We all started or continue folding for different reasons. I continue to fold because when I started to fold I read that [email protected] did a little work on my disease ( Not cancer) and maybe will again in the future, Now if I could somehow just get those WU's when they start again I would in a hart beat regardless of bad ppd it would give me with my luck. We all kinda pick the WU's we want to get by picking the Flag's we use, Most of us trying to get the most ppd we can he just did it 1 better by the sounds of it. Each WU is not a 1 of a kind, They send out 1000's of they same one so even though I try not to delete a WU's it's not that big of a deal if you do, Some will get returned and the protein will be folded
Old June 13, 2011, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seems like bwm just can't get along with anyone, surprise, surprise.

From [H]ard forum
Quote:
likely noting that we have had similar bad luck at other places we've tried to call home, all "enthusiast" sites, all with the same basic results. We either left in disgust, or got angry and read someone the riot act and were banned for it. Believe me, there is no fun in the sites on the strictly professional side of the net, into which the general public is not invited.

Old June 13, 2011, 07:39 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

They're just trying to justify their own brand of cheating. At the end of the day you can put a nugget of shit in a candy bar wrapper, but that doesn't make it an Oh Henry.
Old June 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatcards View Post
This is all new news to me but I dont see it to be that big of a deal( Did not read the whole thing ). He's only getting 500,000ppd, that's hardly a drop in the bucket compared to what [email protected] does in a day.
I understand what you are saying Badatcards, but the thing that I think you need to consider is that once the assignment server issues a WU, it is not issued to someone else until after the deadline.

So the WUs that the assignment server gives bwm (but are not downloaded by bwm) are not issued to anyone else until after the deadline. The server has to wait until after the deadline, which means that science gets done more slowly, hindering the project and the search for cures. This is bad.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 13, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It would probably take a lot of work, but they should have a configuration hash of a PC when the client is installed. When the PC asks for a workunit, it should be assigned a workunit, and cannot download another for that PC until it's completed. That would fix them.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.