Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2011, 07:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
I found a couple ppl who were selling 810's, but it was going to be $50 plus shipping on that behemoth from the states. The 4U I got was $89 from NCIX.
I meant to ask in my last post; and this is not to bash by any means, but why are you holding for [H]?
Old May 27, 2011, 06:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

well, the Tyan S8812 and 6128 G34's look like a real good folding machine. Way easier to mount + cheaper than an SR2..
What kind of wattage do they pull from the wall?

You guys need to do build logs. And if you did, linkie. :P

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:12 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

11:33 tpf on a P6901 (156k ppd) - 4P 6128s on a S8812 with Ubuntu 11.04. Using the Dynatron A5, they run relatively cool between 35C and 49C under 100% load. Still need to see if I can tweak the ram speeds, and add 8 more sticks (for a total of 32Gb...) for Quad Channel. I should receive the last pair monday.

I taught about a build log, but I was so anxious to see it come alive I forgot to take pics... then it took me 2 hours of troubleshooting to get the darn thing to POST for the first time.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:34 PM

My System Specs

Is it less of a headache compared to an SR-2? How loud are those fans? Should be pretty comparable to an SR-2 in price (w/ the 4 quads) and pretty similar in PPD. So it really only comes down to how stressful it was to setup, power consumption, and how loud she is.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall View Post
I meant to ask in my last post; and this is not to bash by any means, but why are you holding for [H]?
They have a little rewards thingy where you get access to their "unmoderated" section. Back when I started folding I was folding for 33, took me a while but I made 500k points for 1yr access to this section. That was probably 4-6yrs ago. Turns out now 1.5m points gets you lifetime access, so I figured I'd give it a try while testing the quad-g34 since it would only take a few days. The rig is actually on its last [H] wu, already changed the .cfg file :)

No build logs here, no pics even. All the darn flourescent lights in the house make pics look yellow. Plus there's the fact that its running naked in the bathroom, had to move to another circuit as the A/C in my room dims the lights.

Have an A-1 day!

Last edited by 4DoorGTZ; May 27, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 05:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Is it less of a headache compared to an SR-2? How loud are those fans? Should be pretty comparable to an SR-2 in price (w/ the 4 quads) and pretty similar in PPD. So it really only comes down to how stressful it was to setup, power consumption, and how loud she is.
Definitely less of a headache - the snag I hit at the initial POST was actually my mistake. I misread the ram slots, and the sticks were not located where they should have been. The onboard video outout is tricky too, since with VGA my monitor would not change inputs automatically - it was set to DVI...

The sticks took me 1.5 hours to figure out (the board labels are different from the manual) and the monitor snag took me 30 minutes.

Power consumption is lower by ~150w for similar ppd output; noise is way higher though, the Norco stock fans are real screamers. The HSFs are locked at 60% fan speed. Max. under load is 50C (AMD says 55 to 70 - ). But it's in the garage, and I don't hear it at all. Using W7's RDC in conjunction with Ubuntu's XRDP gives me access to the Desktop. The board also sports IPMI, so no need for a KVM + monitor even when accessing the BIOS.

Where it gets interesting is the fact that the board should be compatible via BIOS flash to BD. If the performance is really there, then the board (even though it costs an arm, a leg and your left testicle) is actually a great foundation for quite sometime.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have any power consumption numbers yet?
It'll be interesting if bulldozer actually comes out as decent (I don't listen to hype).. it could definitely be a good build for folding/crunching - i'll be looking for two systems for work very soon.. this is definitely in the running.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

~425w at full load. I also discovered that the Ubuntu Psensor is out to lunch - the board's IPMI sensors gives CPU temps between 17c and 31c. I experimented thursday with the board when I was doing load tests, and with the cpu pattern / HSF fan exhausts locations I'll have to create air channels to seperate the CPUs - so that the back cpus "breathe" cool air, not the exhaust from the fwd cpus.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:30 AM

My System Specs

No garage for me to stick such a beast in. I really hope I can find a Stacker 810 for sale somewhere. Or try myself to fabricate a motherboard tray although I think I would fail very much so at that.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:38 AM
Banned
F@H

425 watts is pretty good.

do keep us updated with that bios flash :)