Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2011, 11:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Zoom goes Xeven past me by dinner time, ok I dont feel bad having the largest producting member pass me. But Masta31, I hope to watch the overtake time climb climb climb and dissapear.

Have an A-1 day!
Old January 22, 2011, 08:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

What sort of VPN software do you guys with multiple/offsite rigs use? I just stumbled onto www.logmein.com and so far have used it on a couple machines. I'm especially surprised at the ease of setup/use no port forwarding or firewall crap to change it just works.

Gonna help me a bit watching my OC'd i7-975, since it locked up 12hrs after I set it up at its "permanent" location. Help with my Octo-gpu box that I have to turn off Feb1-18th, allow me to turn it off then and not a week early while I'm in town.

Have an A-1 day!
Old January 23, 2011, 07:46 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

PC Anywhere? Remote Computer Access | Symantec pcAnywhere
Old January 23, 2011, 08:07 AM
Banned
F@H

been using flavours of vnc for many years now. most of them are free. good too.
Old January 23, 2011, 08:19 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
been using flavours of vnc for many years now. most of them are free. good too.
That is a lot of work if you want to use them over the internet and not just an internal network.
Old January 23, 2011, 09:34 AM
Banned
F@H

true. i can login home from anywhere like with the other software mentioned. it can be a bit of a headache, and you must test it out first, and make sure

everythings set before you leave, but after that? no problemo. i checked on me folders when i was in europe.
Old January 25, 2011, 08:58 PM

My System Specs

Two P2684s in a row.
Old January 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Two P2684s in a row.
Those seem to be making the rounds again, got one yesterday and they suck...

Old January 25, 2011, 10:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

-Anyone got an idea what a pair of stock clocked X5670's (6 core/12 thread 2.93ghz) would do ppd wise in a single system?
-Would 8gb be ok for a folding rig with the above cpu's?
-Slightly different track.... your last -bigadv build, what does the $/thread work out to? (for example rig cost $2500 to build, dual-quad core +ht, so 2500/16 or $156.25/thread)
-Anyone ever heard of some kind of f@h team activity where instead of everyone building for themselves, resources are pooled for the best ppd/$/w outcome? I've heard of building "team" folding boxes out of donated parts..... what about all out new builds "shared" among many team members?

I'm 3wks into my new years resolution and sooooooooo wanna break it big time. But it would be stupidly big$ (in total but not per core/thread) so maybe I'll plan something for a year but not act and still keep the resolution not to spend any more $ on folding this year. Man would some computer shops love it if I won the lotto, could easily see myself blowing a lot of dough for the hobby that is F@H.

Have an A-1 day!
Old January 25, 2011, 10:56 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
-Anyone got an idea what a pair of stock clocked X5670's (6 core/12 thread 2.93ghz) would do ppd wise in a single system?
-Would 8gb be ok for a folding rig with the above cpu's?
-Slightly different track.... your last -bigadv build, what does the $/thread work out to? (for example rig cost $2500 to build, dual-quad core +ht, so 2500/16 or $156.25/thread)
-Anyone ever heard of some kind of f@h team activity where instead of everyone building for themselves, resources are pooled for the best ppd/$/w outcome? I've heard of building "team" folding boxes out of donated parts..... what about all out new builds "shared" among many team members?

I'm 3wks into my new years resolution and sooooooooo wanna break it big time. But it would be stupidly big$ (in total but not per core/thread) so maybe I'll plan something for a year but not act and still keep the resolution not to spend any more $ on folding this year. Man would some computer shops love it if I won the lotto, could easily see myself blowing a lot of dough for the hobby that is F@H.
I would guess it would be just shy of 100,000 ppd (P6900) if both CPU's were stock. But honestly if someone were to spend that much on CPU's it makes sense to spend the extra on an SR-2 and get 40-50k higher. You could even go w/ cheaper CPU's if they could be found.

6GB is plenty even. With my 24 thread machines, folding@home takes less than 1.5GB generally.

Each of my 24 thread SR-2 machines were about $2k each including CPU, ram, cooling, HDD, PSU. $83/thread. But highly overclocked threads.