Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2010, 03:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Interesting post here:
Folding Forum • View topic - GPU3 Guide For Windows & Link To Linux

Quote:
  • Using A Fermi GPU & A Non-Fermi GPU In One System
When combining a Fermi GPU with a Non-Fermi GPU, the Fermi GPU will fold FahCore_15 WUs while the Non-Fermi GPU will fold FahCore_11 WUs. However, if the Non-Fermi GPU attempts to fold a FahCore_15 WU, it will result in an error. These are the following options you have:
Option 1: Use these arguments with the correct GPU:
Fermi GPU: -forcegpu nvidia_fermi
Non-Fermi GPU: -forcegpu nvidia_g80
Option 2: Run one instance of GPU2 Client for the Non-Fermi one and one instance of the GPU3 BETA Client for the Fermi one. IMO, you may want to use the Console Version of both Clients as all the files are included in it and it is a no-nonsense version which makes it easier to set-up and reduces the possibility of errors.

Note: It was previously suggested to use -advmethods flag to obtain GPU2 WUs but that is not longer the case. Using -advmethods flag will now give you access to late BETA WUs of GPU3 Projects.
Looks like both will play nice as long as you use the forcegpu flags, but you will not get the GPU3 advmethods WUs on the 2xx series cards since it will error out.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 20, 2010, 03:40 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
guys, how many gpus do you run to see negative effects on thine cpu folding numbers? with 2 i see a modest decrease, any more and it takes a bigger hit.
With zero GPU clients running I can get around 32k ppd on a bigadv. With three GPU3 clients running it drops to 17k. I haven't even tried it while the advmethods flag is being used. I doubt it would even complete the WU in time.

The biggest drop was when adding the third GPU client.

This is w/ a 4.2GHz i7 920 w/ HT on.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old September 20, 2010, 03:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, the second -advmethods WU will probably make the 460 owners feel a little better.......

Just a little over 14K

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old September 20, 2010, 03:47 PM
Banned
F@H

cool thanks. kinda supports what ive seen so far.
Old September 20, 2010, 04:01 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Ok, the second -advmethods WU will probably make the 460 owners feel a little better.......

Just a little over 14K

Still ridiculous PPD/$. That is like 100PPD/$. Not including the cooling of my GTX460's I am only able to get 74PPD/$.
Shame that there isn't all that many advmethod WU's available. I think I've got maybe 10 per client of the 40 of so each of my GTX460s have done this past few days.

EDIT: What are you using to view the PPD in that window?
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old September 20, 2010, 04:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Same numbers I get, so parity with a 460 with less wattage consumed. Not bad, not bad at all.

My only concern would be if Stanford releases something to utilize more shaders on the higher end cards more effectively. I'm not even clear on how a 192 shader card can outperform a 300+ shader card :|

Im still going to keep the 460s regardless. Id just lose money to sell them even at the price I paid.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 20, 2010, 04:06 PM
Banned
F@H

well, as you guys know, any increase i nshader speed will yeld a decent ppd upgrade. running 1ghz or more on a 450 might be the 'it' right now. hell, it may be the new 8800gt :)
Old September 20, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OK you guys, sort this out before I buy any more cards. I have 10 slots to fill and I have 2x470 & 1x460 so far. I'll be home tomorrow and need to get cracking!

Old September 20, 2010, 04:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
My only concern would be if Stanford releases something to utilize more shaders on the higher end cards more effectively. I'm not even clear on how a 192 shader card can outperform a 300+ shader card :|

Im still going to keep the 460s regardless. Id just lose money to sell them even at the price I paid.
I think this is a good plan. It would seem that these WUs don't use many of the extra shaders, and really like the clock speeds.

I have seen WUs in the past on 2xx cards that really hammered the PPD on low end cards, while the cards with more shaders barely took a hit.

So while I think the 460s are a 'safer' folding card, the 450s are still excellent (obviously) and on par with the 460s many WUs.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 20, 2010, 04:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
OK you guys, sort this out before I buy any more cards. I have 10 slots to fill and I have 2x470 & 1x460 so far. I'll be home tomorrow and need to get cracking!
If Steve's numbers are accurate, which I believe they are, the 450s are the best choice on the market bar none. They are the 9600gso of the fermi generation.

I cant see anything else competing with them for ppd/$ unless the 440 or something is over the top.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about