Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2009, 01:12 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
With the bigwu can you still monitor the progress the same way as notfreds etc? I know there is a bit of a wait but my fahmon says there is something wrong with my client. Also, should I be using the -7 or -8 flag?
You can monitor the progress, but just make sure you have the right directory. It might be different from notfred's, so you should browse the VM and find out the location of the log file for certain. Also, I recommend that you use HFM.NET instead of Fahmon. Among other things, it will also include the bonus when calculating your -bigadv PPD.

Regarding which flag to use, you should go with -smp 8, and only go to -smp 7 if you experience performance issues.
Old December 27, 2009, 01:15 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post

Regarding which flag to use, you should go with -smp 8, and only go to -smp 7 if you experience performance issues.
How do you add flags w/ VMware? I don't see anything in the 'Reconfigure' section.
Old December 27, 2009, 01:37 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
With the bigwu can you still monitor the progress the same way as notfreds etc? I know there is a bit of a wait but my fahmon says there is something wrong with my client. Also, should I be using the -7 or -8 flag?

I see from your screenshot that your path is wrong (you have fahmon pointed to the notfred location, which is 'c\etc\bla\bla'. You need to point it to \\FAH\fah\ as the machine name and folders are different for the bigadv folding machine.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 27, 2009, 01:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
How do you add flags w/ VMware? I don't see anything in the 'Reconfigure' section.
You type them in at the command line. For example to start the folding client with the smp 8 and bigadv flags, you would type in:
./fah6 -bigadv -smp 8

Before you do this, make sure you have a passkey set, and you have completed 10 work units under the passkey and vmware. If you have not completed 10 yet, in the flag above, instead of "-bigadv", type in "-advmethods". When 10 are done, restart the vmware machine, and type in the command with -bigadv.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 27, 2009, 02:19 PM

My System Specs

Trying out the bigadv -smp 7 for now. According to the guide you posted a few pages back. 3600mb is enough for smp -7. Will increase it once I get another 6GB installed.
Old December 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Trying out the bigadv -smp 7 for now. According to the guide you posted a few pages back. 3600mb is enough for smp -7. Will increase it once I get another 6GB installed.
Sounds like a good plan. With the high clocks you have you might still get a good bonus.

Let us know what TPF you get on 4.8GHZ and -smp 7.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 27, 2009, 02:28 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Sounds like a good plan. With the high clocks you have you might still get a good bonus.

Let us know what TPF you get on 4.8GHZ and -smp 7.
TPF?

Even w/ only 3.6GB used my system is starving for ram. Even w/ Superfetch and Prefetch completely disabled I only have 400MB available for every other program.
Old December 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
TPF?

Even w/ only 3.6GB used my system is starving for ram. Even w/ Superfetch and Prefetch completely disabled I only have 400MB available for every other program.
Sorry...Time Per Frame. It would be the time it would take from say, 1% to 2%. Typical times vary from 35 mins per frame, to 40 mins per frame (lower is better of course). Can be found under Tools->Benchmarks in FahMon. You can use this TPF to calculate your bonus points here: Folding@home Bigadv Bonus Point Calculator

That screenshot I provided earlier included the bonus points in the PPD. The program was called HFM.net .
Fold for team #54196
Old December 27, 2009, 02:43 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Sorry...Time Per Frame. It would be the time it would take from say, 1% to 2%. Typical times vary from 35 mins per frame, to 40 mins per frame (lower is better of course). Can be found under Tools->Benchmarks in FahMon. You can use this TPF to calculate your bonus points here: Folding@home Bigadv Bonus Point Calculator

That screenshot I provided earlier included the bonus points in the PPD. The program was called HFM.net .
OK. Well I still have 28 more TV episodes to encode before it goes full bore. Should be done in a day or so
Old December 27, 2009, 02:50 PM
Banned
F@H

hmmm..so basically get a 'cheap' i7 860+150$ mobo, oc to 4ghz or better, and take advantage of the bigadv units? hmmmm