Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 1920's you need to do 10 of should take nowhere near 3 days to finish. i7 systems do 1920's in (depending on clock speed) maybe 6 to 8 hours, or so, at most. I would say you should have ten done in less then 3 days.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 24, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys, I am being lazy. I got my ram back from RMA, will 6gb suffice?
Old December 24, 2009, 03:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

6GB is borderline enough. You need about 4.5-5GB for the VM. You should really go to 12GB unless you plan on suspending the VM every time you want to do something RAM-intensive.
Old December 25, 2009, 11:57 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Here is a guide that you can use to get set up:
[GUIDE] VMWare 3.0 (8 Core Folding w/ -bigadv) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Basically, "-bigadv" is a flag that you enter when running the linux folding client. We do this on the vmware machine linked in the guide. The vmware folding client capable of running the bigadv work units needs 4.6GB of ram. If you have 6GB of ram already, you have enough. You need an i7 system as well, so that you can also use the "-smp 8" flag in order to get the work units done in time.
!
I was about to setup the '-bigadv'. But just realized out of the 6GB I have my ioXtreme driver requires 1.5GB of that. Looks like I'm out of luck.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:11 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm View Post
Nothing you really need to study up on with TLER except for what means, what it does and why.

It stands for Time Limited Error Recovery. It was designed from the get-go as a tool for RAID arrays, to eliminate most of the false errors that the controllers of the day reported in more complex arrays wherein a sector would be reported bad. Protocol calls for retries, but that appears to other users (on a network) as being a lag or ever worse. Limiting the number of retries increases RAID UP time because of it. It is intended for use primarily in large arrays consisting or 2 or more large capacity drives. And it is obviously of no value whatsoever in RAID-0 or any array using both striping and mirroring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
What he said. In fact, I think even if you try to enable TLER in a single-drive or RAID0 situation, it will still automatically disable itself.

TLER is just WD's word for it too. Basically, it's error recovery. Samsung, Seagate, Hitachi - they all have different ways of saying the same thing.
Thanks for the info gents, I don't plan on doing a large array anytime soon (ever) but you never know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
It was just put together, wouldnt boot. Previously the board ran for 3wks on air cooling, then died and went to Asus for repairs. There's many others over on extremesystems.org that loath this board now too, for what it could have been if it didnt die every so often.
Ouch, too bad they looked like such a great board when they came out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I'll just wait 5 days or so......
If you use the HFM.net to monitor your clients it will keep track of how many WU's each client has done since it was started...

Old December 26, 2009, 10:16 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I was about to setup the '-bigadv'. But just realized out of the 6GB I have my ioXtreme driver requires 1.5GB of that. Looks like I'm out of luck.
For a driver?
Fold for team #54196
Old December 26, 2009, 10:19 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
For a driver?
It uses the ram to cache the writes so it can write all the files sequentially. Lengthing the lifetime of the NAND considerably.
Old December 26, 2009, 04:46 PM

My System Specs

Is there a way to add remote systems to fahmon? I'd like it to see the clients running on my HTPC if that is at all possible.
Old December 26, 2009, 04:51 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Of course you can. That's the beauty of Fahmon, Fayspy and HFM.net.

Sticky: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html
Old December 26, 2009, 05:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Of course you can. That's the beauty of Fahmon, Fayspy and HFM.net.

Sticky: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html
HFM.net looks really good. I have not tried it until now. I really like how it does the bonus points for the bigadv automagically.

Seems a little more sluggish on my laptop than fahspy or fahmon though.
Fold for team #54196