Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2009, 12:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Very very nice. I commented on it in another thread.
Now if my wife would allow builds like that in my workroom, I'd
be VERY tempted to do something like that.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm View Post
Very very nice. I commented on it in another thread.
Now if my wife would allow builds like that in my workroom, I'd
be VERY tempted to do something like that.
Thankfully I had an isolated corner available in the basement, or this would not be running! It's incredibly loud

I don't know why I bothered with the very quiet Noctua NF-P12 fan on the CPU! I have another spare Panaflow. I may as well go for it!
Old December 20, 2009, 01:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Would someone kindly explain what this -bigadv thing is all about. I''m assuming it has to do with i7 series memory capacity and/or more flexible use of it for folding.
I'd study up on it myself but I'm not joking when I say I don't really have time to chase it down. TIA
Old December 20, 2009, 01:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
Thankfully I had an isolated corner available in the basement, or this would not be running! It's incredibly loud

I don't know why I bothered with the very quiet Noctua NF-P12 fan on the CPU! I have another spare Panaflow. I may as well go for it!
I think I read another coment about water in that area of the basement. Please make sure you have foreseen that danger and taken care of it.
Old December 20, 2009, 02:43 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm View Post
Would someone kindly explain what this -bigadv thing is all about. I''m assuming it has to do with i7 series memory capacity and/or more flexible use of it for folding.
I'd study up on it myself but I'm not joking when I say I don't really have time to chase it down. TIA
In for this as well. Although I would likely need to purchase another 6GB of ram from what I've heard.
Old December 20, 2009, 03:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It is for CPUs with a minimum of 8 cores, real (like my rig), or virtuals like any i7 out there. Relatively simple to set up (install VMware Player, download the client, configure with username, team # and passkey) then let it rip. Make sure you fold for 10 WUs with the -advmethods flag, then you can switch to the -bigadv flag.

Fah passkey: Folding@home - FAQ-passkey

You need a minimum of 6 Gb only for the client.

Follow this thread here (VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding), 1st post has all the info/links links you need.
Old December 20, 2009, 03:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
In for this as well. Although I would likely need to purchase another 6GB of ram from what I've heard.
Here is a guide that you can use to get set up:
[GUIDE] VMWare 3.0 (8 Core Folding w/ -bigadv) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Basically, "-bigadv" is a flag that you enter when running the linux folding client. We do this on the vmware machine linked in the guide. The vmware folding client capable of running the bigadv work units needs 4.6GB of ram. If you have 6GB of ram already, you have enough. You need an i7 system as well, so that you can also use the "-smp 8" flag in order to get the work units done in time.

The bigadv units are lucrative because Stanford gives bonus points for completing them. My two i7s give me about 9000PPD each, but with the bonus points, I get about 20,000PPD each (thats 40K just on cpus alone). To qualify for the bonus, you need to meet the following criteria:
Quote:
1) At least 10 Core A2 work units must be completed. (1920 or 25403 pt units qualify)
2) At least 80% of Core A2 work units must be completed in time.
3) A passkey must be used.
I hope this is enough to get started. Any specific questions just fire away!
Fold for team #54196
Old December 20, 2009, 03:09 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

FYI, both links have the same info and downloads. If you wish to hit the big numbers, make sure the i7 is clocked above 3.6GHz.
Old December 20, 2009, 03:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
It is for CPUs with a minimum of 8 cores, real (like my rig), or virtuals like any i7 out there. Relatively simple to set up (install VMware Player, download the client, configure with username, team # and passkey) then let it rip. Make sure you fold for 10 WUs with the -advmethods flag, then you can switch to the -bigadv flag.

Fah passkey: Folding@home - FAQ-passkey

You need a minimum of 6 Gb only for the client.

Follow this thread here (VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding), 1st post has all the info/links links you need.
Thanks. I appreciate the guidance
Old December 20, 2009, 03:13 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
FYI, both links have the same info and downloads. If you wish to hit the big numbers, make sure the i7 is clocked above 3.6GHz.
anything below wont make it..? :)