Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
Rookie

Hope my humble ~400 PPD is helping :P
Old October 15, 2009, 04:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
what should I be able to pull with my hardware I have all 3 machines in my sig running 1 GPU and 1 CPU client each (so 6 clients total) and I'm pulling about 18K PPD so wtf how do you get a 20,000PPD from one machine??

My temps arnt bad at about 40 to 51 tops kinda deal. per each machine I mean.
The keys are

1)at least a dual core processor, preferably a quad.
2) prefereably an intel, as they just plain produce more PPD than AMD,
3) some overclocking of the CPU,
4) A Graphics card that supports folding, primarily nVidia right now.

I'm not too familiar with AMD's current line of processors under folding circumstances so please pardon my reluctance to comment further on those. I've been an AMD man for many many moons and just recently copped out for Intel for that exact reason, and the difference isn't a small one.

If your Phenoms are single core then you're stuck running the basic single core client. BUT, if they are dual or quad core (not sure about the X3), you should be running the SMP client. One client per pair of cores.
IOW, one client for a dual core, two clients for a quad. SMP is designed to use 4 cores, but will run on only two, allowing you to run two clients at once, yielding MUCH more output that one using all 4 cores with one client. An Intel Q6600, for example, overclocked to at least 3 Ghz, will crank out 3000 PPD running 2 SMP clients. Far Far less if running the basic single core client. Nice thing about the Q6600 quad is its eagerness to overclock. Unfortunately they are out of production now, but still hunted down like rabid dogs after cats by folders because they're stock speed is 2.4 Ghz, but a G0 rev of the chip will usually run 24/7 at 3.0 with the stock cooler, often at 3.3 to 3.5, without batting an eye.

If you happen to own one of the more recent nvidia video cards, the GTX260/216 SC in particular, add another 6500 to 7500 PPD onto the 3000 from the CPU and va va boom, there ya go. 10k per day. The video card GPU is the rage in the lower 48 now, guys buy those things up like you wouldn't believe. The 260/216 SC (superclocked) version is the preferred one, often seen for 160 USD or so. Higher in Canada. Dan can tell ya all about that apparent struggle. Nvidia's higher end cards also fold, as do a few of their older models, but not as productively as the newer ones, and at out of proportion costs. The 260/216 is widely considered the best bang for the dollar available from anyone, anywhere. That may very well change in upcoming months of course, as nvidia and ATI both bring out new models, but that's the way it is right now. A 20k PPD box just requires higher end CPU and Video card, heavier overclocks, and/or running VMWare, or in Linux.

Hope that helps you at least a lil bit

Last edited by bwm; October 15, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old October 15, 2009, 04:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ce View Post
Every single PPD helps, make no mistake about that. No matter what anyone anywhere tells you, NO ONE KNOWS who will be the one to crack one of the most significant mysteries ever to exist on planet earth.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ce View Post
+1 1ce, Every WU completed is a step in the right direction. Theirs a lot of people on the team getting under 1000PPD but they all add up, Every point helps. Don't get discouraged, We need every point we can get, It's people like you that give our team depth, If someone goes on vacation or something our team wont have a big los in PPD because their many people to bring up the slack. Look at team TPU, Buck Nasty leaves and they lose 10 % of their team. If one of our Monster folders stop for a bit our team wont take as much of a hit because know 1 person is bringing in the majordy of the points. Keep up the good work
Hey Crusty. I'm running that 10,000 PPD rig, The Q6600 quad and the 260/216 SC. It's bin good to me so far . WTF ()
Old October 15, 2009, 06:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty View Post
Every single PPD helps, make no mistake about that. No matter what anyone anywhere tells you, NO ONE KNOWS who will be the one to crack one of the most significant mysteries ever to exist on planet earth.
That's so true, its ultimately about helping find the cure to cancers and diseases.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
what should I be able to pull with my hardware I have all 3 machines in my sig running 1 GPU and 1 CPU client each (so 6 clients total) and I'm pulling about 18K PPD so wtf how do you get a 20,000PPD from one machine??

I think you should be getting more than 20K from all your machines

Quote:
Comp1 (Mine) : Foxconn BloodRage, Intel i7 @ 2.6GHz, 6GB OCZ 1600 Triple Channel RAM, 150GB Raptor, EVGA GTX260 sp 216 55nm , Antec 900

Comp2 (Wife's) : Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe, AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3GHz, 8GB OCZ HPC Reaper 8500 RAM, 500GB HD, XFX GTS250, NZXT CASE

Comp3 (Kid's) : Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H, AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3GHz, 8GB Crosair Dominator 8500 RAM, 500GB HD, EVGA 9800GX2, Antec 900
Comp1 should get about 6K on the processor and 7K on the 260

Comp2 should get 4K on the processor and 5K on the 250

Comp3 should get 4K on the procesor and 12K on the 9800GX2

I would expect you to get any easy 30,000 day and even up to 38,000.

Are you monitoring your clients?
Old October 15, 2009, 06:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatcards View Post
Hey Crusty. I'm running that 10,000 PPD rig, The Q6600 quad and the 260/216 SC. It's bin good to me so far . WTF ()
Right on mate. Gigabytes have been jewells for me so far, and my first foray into the Intel side of things at that. Running P35 and P45 models here and couldn't be happier. Just lucky I guess!!
Old October 15, 2009, 07:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

There ya go. Mr. Perineum put it together for you a lot better than I can. I just don't know about those Phenoms. It was right when they came out that I jumped ship. The first rig you listed will outproduce the other two but overall you have a nice little farm going there. Be proud of it.

For Mr. Perineum, do the Intel i5's and/or i7's really do that much better than the LGA773 quads? I'm generally very very slow to do an upgrade unless the folding increases are VERY substantial, so of course I am quite curious. Hell, my q6600 rigs are just now coming up their first birthday of folding, believe it or not LOL. Noot hurting for money by any stretch of the imagination, but I am one cheap mutha, tight with the pennies LOL.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

An i7 can get between 7500ppd and 10000ppd with VMware depending on OC.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Holy sheite, that's substantial, to say the least. I assume you're speaking of quads here. The rig I'm putting together for my wife is an i7 based one so it along with the 260/216 oughta make a nice addition. Then, it it performs to expectations, I'll start on the other three, one every month or so. Thanks for the info.