Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks [email protected] Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
That sucks....what kind of OC you got going? There is a good ~9K ppd in that chip. Small FFTs test mostly the cpu....you really stress the ram yet? Try memtest and large FFTs? Your setup is close to mine, and I got 3.4GHZ first try no probs, and folds no prob too.
I am going for 4 ghz and I think I am there. I uninstalled smp folding & reinstalled and it seems to be working now. I only get 6000 +-ppd though. I am still playing with voltages trying to get temps down. I have a megahalem to install to help me also. I had to set the cpu voltage to 1.3 to get there so as you can imagine it gets a little warm.

Old August 16, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What are your folding temps like @ 4GHz?
When I tested I got close to 90c on all cores.
That's with Vcore around 1.45 (I forget exactly)...
Old August 16, 2009, 07:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I am going for 4 ghz and I think I am there. I uninstalled smp folding & reinstalled and it seems to be working now. I only get 6000 +-ppd though. I am still playing with voltages trying to get temps down. I have a megahalem to install to help me also. I had to set the cpu voltage to 1.3 to get there so as you can imagine it gets a little warm.
That chip would get more than 9000PPD (actually, my 3.4ghz is getting 9000PPD.....) using the vmware client.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 16, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm.... followed the instructions ( 4 instances of notfred) to the letter, I think. Not sure why I get so little ppd.

Old August 16, 2009, 09:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Hmmm.... followed the instructions ( 4 instances of notfred) to the letter, I think. Not sure why I get so little ppd.
Are all your cores running at almost 100% when you get the 4 instances up? Hyperthreading enabled? Did you set each virtual machine to 2 cores?
Fold for team #54196
Old August 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Are all your cores running at almost 100% when you get the 4 instances up? Hyperthreading enabled? Did you set each virtual machine to 2 cores?

Yes, yes and yes. I will have another look at it all tomorrow to make sure all is done as good as I can get it, I have to try tweaking priority and affinity but Priffinity does not work the same under Windows 7 as it does in XP. The I7 rig just froze up , not sure why, but no bsod. I may have to back off on overclock even though it seems to be primestable.

Old August 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

One last thing I guess before I forget; what program are you using to monitor the vmware clients? You should be using the latest Fahmon (has an option for virtual machines), or better yet, use Fahspy. Then, make sure that the program you are using has the updated work units (fahmon = 'download new projects', and Fahspy = 'update wu database'. Could be something as simple as the software you have is not reading it right.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

Well if your in the GTA like me, I'm sure that the heat is killing you and your folding. I have a 12000btu portable air condition sitting right beside my rigs and it can't keep up with the heat. So I'm shutting down until the heat spell is over.

Hope the folders in other cities aren't experiencing this much heat!
Old August 17, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
One last thing I guess before I forget; what program are you using to monitor the vmware clients? You should be using the latest Fahmon
Got it.

Old August 17, 2009, 01:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
Well if your in the GTA like me, I'm sure that the heat is killing you and your folding. I have a 12000btu portable air condition sitting right beside my rigs and it can't keep up with the heat. So I'm shutting down until the heat spell is over.

Hope the folders in other cities aren't experiencing this much heat!
Woke up this Am and saw that my i7 rig had rebooted. Error log looks like a hardware issue. It was running 4 vmware, 2 GPU instances, and the temps were 80c+ on the cards, 70c on each core, with a room ambient of 29c (according to the multimeter temp sensor). I'm hoping the heat got to the rig, so I'll give her a break for a few days until the heat dies down.
Fold for team #54196