Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #411 (permalink)  
Old March 24, 2009, 04:30 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,529

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
How long does it take you to do a Rosetta Mini 1.54 ? Takes me on avg about 2hrs 50min. That about normal for a stock E6850?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
You can set the task's time in your preference. Personnally, I set it to 8 hours.. don't really have a reason lol.

I'm back to BOINC since I couldn't remember to quit the smp client correctly! I had to delete my work folder each time grrrr... 10 hours down the drain

Boinc is really more simple! install and let it run!
Just to elaborate a bit.... rosetta's "Tasks" (not WUs!!! :) ) are scored differently than FAH's WUs.

In FAH, the amount of work is constant and how quickly a person can complete each individual WU determines PPD.

In rosetta, the time is constant and points are awarded based on how much work is accomplished during that time.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #412 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 08:02 AM
cwestwell's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NWT
Posts: 675
Default

Aurora Labs Updates

Well another school year is coming to a close here at the college so that means a few things

1- All PC's will be re-imaged meaning we will loose all of our current Rosetta Clients on Aurora. This will likely start end of June and not stop until Aug. The hope is to get Boinc built into the images but I have had little luck with that yet.

2- New Lab Computers coming this summer. The Current low end P4 3.0 systems are going to be replaced by likely E8400 or higher after much discussions with the higher ups it is unlikely we can justify Quad core PC's for the labs let alone Core i7's at least not until the cheaper chipsets and mobo's are out. But anyway this mean that 20 of the currents desktops will be crunching twice as much at minimum.

So that is it for Aurora's updates

Now onto team news we are currently just on the cusp of being into the Top 50 Overall Points club and we are still in the top 20 RAC club so we are not doing so bad.

Kudos all do not give up the fight
__________________
_______________________________________________

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit


Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Reply With Quote
  #413 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,775

My System Specs

Default

I'm out for now since I don't have GPU for now (RMA). I'll be back soon!
__________________

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Reply With Quote
  #414 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 08:17 AM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestwell View Post
Aurora Labs Updates

Well another school year is coming to a close here at the college so that means a few things

1- All PC's will be re-imaged meaning we will loose all of our current Rosetta Clients on Aurora. This will likely start end of June and not stop until Aug. The hope is to get Boinc built into the images but I have had little luck with that yet.

2- New Lab Computers coming this summer. The Current low end P4 3.0 systems are going to be replaced by likely E8400 or higher after much discussions with the higher ups it is unlikely we can justify Quad core PC's for the labs let alone Core i7's at least not until the cheaper chipsets and mobo's are out. But anyway this mean that 20 of the currents desktops will be crunching twice as much at minimum.

So that is it for Aurora's updates

Now onto team news we are currently just on the cusp of being into the Top 50 Overall Points club and we are still in the top 20 RAC club so we are not doing so bad.

Kudos all do not give up the fight
If your not able to get BONIC into the images, will you(when you have free time ofc) install it back on when you have a chance? From what I'm reading it looks like you will, but I'm just making sure.

Having said that, its great to hear that we are in the top 50 overall point, lets try and fight our way back into the top 10 RAC bracket once again, as well top 10 overall points. It seems like a few people have been losing intrest, or *ahem* moving their CPU's over to the "other" side. We need something to rally the troops, let them know that F@H is great for GPU's, but their CPU's deserve BETTER.

Lets keep up the fight!

As for a personal update... Well...



This guy will be coming online and crunching soon.
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
  #415 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 08:39 AM
misterd's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottetown, P.E.I.
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
Its too bad Daltons comps went down, thats where the real big hit came from
Yeah yeah, blame me for everything :( I still have a few boxes crunching, but it's nowhere close to the power the 15 Quads were doing. Sorry I can't help more.
__________________
#hardwarecanucks on irc.freenode.net
fiat justitia ruat caelum

Reply With Quote
  #416 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 08:48 AM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd View Post
Yeah yeah, blame me for everything :( I still have a few boxes crunching, but it's nowhere close to the power the 15 Quads were doing. Sorry I can't help more.
That's okay, we know your hands were tied(you only have so much control at a lab). As long as you keep giving it your best, we might forgive you.

No, but, when your lab went down, it really was a big hit. Its okay, it might take some time and a bit of prodding, but we will recover.
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
  #417 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,502

My System Specs

Default

Well, I pulled pin on F@H and switched to Boinc/Rosetta last night.

I pulled in about 800 points on my rig over night, thats about 100 points per hour.

Does that seem right for my specs listed below? My CPU's are all 100% pegged, but my GPU doesnt seem to be working hardly at all since the temps on the core are about 3c above idle temps, and 7-9c below max GPU load tems...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
AKG shot the hamsters, and then Perineum drove his Mustang with summer tires into the server.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #418 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 09:14 AM
Jon_di2's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd View Post
Yeah yeah, blame me for everything :( I still have a few boxes crunching, but it's nowhere close to the power the 15 Quads were doing. Sorry I can't help more.
ahaha I posted that a month ago the Thread was so burried everyone forgot about BOINC
no ones blaming you! I had about 7 computers going at one point but I changed jobs so I lost them.... I work for a bank now so I dont think they would let me install BOINC...
__________________
EVGA780i FTW|Q9450@3.3|2x2GB Mushkin Redline 8000|GTX 260 Core 216 65nm|Corsair TX750|Antec 900|Acer 22|Antec Multimedia Premier|WD 640GB|Seagate 500GB|Logitech G15|Vista64
EVGA790i FTW|E8400@4.1|4x1GB Aeneon Xtune DDR3-1866|2xGTX 260 55nm|CM 750W| CM690|Viewsonic 25.5|Seagate 500GBx2|Logitech G5|Razer Lycosa|Scythe Kaze Master 5.25|Win7 & XP
Dell XPS M170|Pentium M @2.00|2GB DDR2 @667MHz|Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX|120GB|17" WUXGA|XP32
Reply With Quote
  #419 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 09:16 AM
matsta31's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,204
Default

Ohh I will lose my RAC second place once your project comes online chilly.
__________________

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Reply With Quote
  #420 (permalink)  
Old April 23, 2009, 09:19 AM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Well, I pulled pin on F@H and switched to Boinc/Rosetta last night.

I pulled in about 800 points on my rig over night, thats about 100 points per hour.

Does that seem right for my specs listed below? My CPU's are all 100% pegged, but my GPU doesnt seem to be working hardly at all since the temps on the core are about 3c above idle temps, and 7-9c below max GPU load tems...
I'd continue F@H on your GPU's if possible, Rosetta doesn't do GPU's(yet). As for your CPU, 100 points an hour seems about right for a Q6600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Ohh I will lose my RAC second place once your project comes online chilly.
Heh, we'll see won't we? You could try and stay ahead of me by adding some more CPU's on BONIC.
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
boinc , folding , rosetta

Thread Tools
Display Modes