Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old November 27, 2008, 09:58 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

Lol I am jealous...I can't reach the folding forums (I have a thread in the networking section on this...grrr)

I have a 4870 sitting here without a box...I have the Crosshair mobo (590sli) board with a 9600gso card, and an empty pci-e slot. Any experience running an nVidia and Ati card for folding in the same machine?
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old November 27, 2008, 10:20 PM
LCB001's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aylmer QC.
Posts: 1,774

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Lol I am jealous...I can't reach the folding forums (I have a thread in the networking section on this...grrr)

I have a 4870 sitting here without a box...I have the Crosshair mobo (590sli) board with a 9600gso card, and an empty pci-e slot. Any experience running an nVidia and Ati card for folding in the same machine?
From reading the forums it is definitly not going to work under vista, people have got them to run under xp but the results were useless because the WU's got mixed up, the Nvidia card folded the ATi WU and vice versa. From toTOW a site moderator:

"First : Vista won't allow drivers from different manufacturer (read ATI and NV here) to be enabled at the same time.

Secondly : if you manage to get the two GPU work (usually with XP), FAH won't like that and produce invalid results

So the advice is to avoid this situation as much as possible, and to run your boards in two separate machines."

In case you can follow a link see this Folding Forum • View topic - Mixing ATI and NVIDIA Cards in same system (Vista x64)? [No] :rtfm:
Hope you get something worked out, we could use the points...
__________________
Folding For Team 54196

Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2008, 06:47 AM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,679

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
According to uncle_fungus on the folding forums the new core is "Some EUE reporting (backported from the SMP client) and communication timeout fixes"...
And yes I know that 'gotta get it to work' feeling well...
Personally I perfer F@H , I find Boinc almost to easy. With some of our big guns like 3.0charlie, Shadowed, yycraven and a few others not producing any points right now our F@H team is hurting, I'll probably be doing the opposite, pulling my quad from Boinc and back to F@H.
Don't worry, I'll be back... still tweaking that i7 for Rosetta, then it'll be 2 260s for folding.
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2008, 07:42 AM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
According to uncle_fungus on the folding forums the new core is "Some EUE reporting (backported from the SMP client) and communication timeout fixes"...
And yes I know that 'gotta get it to work' feeling well...
Personally I perfer F@H , I find Boinc almost to easy. With some of our big guns like 3.0charlie, Shadowed, yycraven and a few others not producing any points right now our F@H team is hurting, I'll probably be doing the opposite, pulling my quad from Boinc and back to F@H.
Don't pull your Quad from BIONIC, just keep F@H for GPU's and BIONIC for your CPU's, thats how I've got my system running atm.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2008, 06:54 PM
LCB001's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aylmer QC.
Posts: 1,774

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Don't worry, I'll be back... still tweaking that i7 for Rosetta, then it'll be 2 260s for folding.
I wasn't worried about you coming back, like me you are in it for the long haul. I'm just going to switch the quad over a couple of times a week to take up some of the slack, the -oneunit flag is handy for that. Those 260's should give you some nice PPD, are you going to get the 9800GT running again? it would make for a nice combo...

@Chilly; It would just be for the short term till the F@H Team ramps up again, with Dalton, cwestwell and Aurora doing some serious crunching and 3.0 getting his i7 online I think we will be fine. I'll still be crunching enough to keep my RAC up...
Not sure about going BIONIC tho...
__________________
Folding For Team 54196

Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2008, 06:58 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

I am hoping to add another 9600gso, or possibly a 9800GT to my folding box tomorrow or Sunday. I would have grabbed one of those Ncix $200 260s but I have a job so i missed the special lol
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2008, 07:00 PM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,679

My System Specs

Default

The 9800GT is offline for the time being; it's the HTPC and the kids are on it. It will be back eventually.
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2008, 07:13 PM
LCB001's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aylmer QC.
Posts: 1,774

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I am hoping to add another 9600gso, or possibly a 9800GT to my folding box tomorrow or Sunday. I would have grabbed one of those Ncix $200 260s but I have a job so i missed the special lol
Nice to hear, your PPD is already over 10,000, another card will jump you up there pretty quick. The more shaders and memory on the new card the easier time it will have with the new bigger WU's, so go for the 9800GT 512MB if you can...
__________________
Folding For Team 54196

Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2008, 07:43 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

I think I will go for the 9800GT if its a good folder...Futureshop (of all places) has the BFG OC edition for $139, and in stock near my house. If I sell my 4870 the fiancee will not kill me for buying it
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old November 28, 2008, 07:45 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

As for my benchmark post, while I was at work today I was able to find a sweet excel spreadsheet with gpu stats, etc on the foldingforums website that has answered many of my questions. I would provide a link but Rogers seems to be having a hard time accessing the site.
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes