Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect

If Stanford picks up with AMDs stream computing model, we will see a big change in folding, but until then....

Funny Nvidia refused to change their driver for Stanford for years to allow folding, then they finally get off their green @#$!@#$'s and what happens? Stanford gives them, not ATI, all the lovin. Its Ubisoft all over again, Nvidia walks in with a bucket of cash to buy away 10.1 support.......

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old November 27, 2008, 12:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just installed the new 6.20r2beta systray client thats supposed to help ATI cards use less CPU resources. So far its working ok and my CPU usage is down about 8% on average. I see no boost in ppd from my GPU or CPU clients using this. I wish I could get the SMP client going. I've read through the instructions many times but I get to the part in the setup where I have a DOS console up and it asks me for a username/password and I just don't know what to put there and when I enter in a random pass it just says something like "Fail", "You suck", "try again nub". lol. Anyone have a suggestion?

*Edit: Interesting...New GPU folding client released yesterday 6.23... Nice (I hope)

Last edited by Alwaysrun; November 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:44 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Your Windows account must have a username / password for the SMP client to work properly. And it's the same username / password that the DOS console is asking.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ahh thanks charlie I sorta thought it was that. I resisted Vista for so long when I installed it I did it quick and dirty and didn't make any user accounts or set passwords for anything. Guess I gotta muddle through that stuff and set up accounts/passwords. Just waiting for this last WU to finish then I'll install this new 6.23 GPU client and give Deino another go. BTW which is easier/better to use out of Deino and MPICH for a dual core processor? I'll be using one core I figure for folding and leave the other to work with windows and the GPU folding.

Sorry for straying way off topic here ppl.
Old November 27, 2008, 01:00 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have no idea. I've been out of the SMP Client loop for too long. LCB001 knows more that I about the SMP Client and should be able to answer you.
Old November 27, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If this is article is anything to go by 8.12 AMD GPU's will see some progress but they say they need Stanford to update also. Hopefully Stanford hasnt been paid off as you say-its supposed to a project that users can work on to save lives, not about favoring one tech maker or another.
AMD to integrate Stream GPGPU features into Catalyst 8.12 | News | Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post

If Stanford picks up with AMDs stream computing model, we will see a big change in folding, but until then....

Funny Nvidia refused to change their driver for Stanford for years to allow folding, then they finally get off their green @#$!@#$'s and what happens? Stanford gives them, not ATI, all the lovin. Its Ubisoft all over again, Nvidia walks in with a bucket of cash to buy away 10.1 support.......

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 27, 2008, 01:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice find magic. Very good read about the upcoming 8.12 Catalyst drivers. Any ppd improvement would be great. I'm tired of Nvidia cards worth 1/2 my 4850 doubling my output. I just hope Stanford dosn't take forever at their end of things.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Ahh thanks charlie I sorta thought it was that. I resisted Vista for so long when I installed it I did it quick and dirty and didn't make any user accounts or set passwords for anything. Guess I gotta muddle through that stuff and set up accounts/passwords. Just waiting for this last WU to finish then I'll install this new 6.23 GPU client and give Deino another go. BTW which is easier/better to use out of Deino and MPICH for a dual core processor? I'll be using one core I figure for folding and leave the other to work with windows and the GPU folding.

Sorry for straying way off topic here ppl.
Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with the SMP client, like 3.0 said, its the password and username you use when you start your comp. Don't know much about Deino other than it's supposed to be more stable, Deino is 32bit only and both my rigs are 64bit so I have to use Mpich, haven't had an EUE in weeks...
As for as using SMP on one core, SMP is intended for multi-core setups and might have trouble getting the WU done on time on a single core. If your using Vista the GPU only needs 5-8% of a core. If you want a little free just set the SMP to only use 96% of the two cores, you can always adjust it later...
By the way don't feel bad about your 4850, us Nvidia guys are already starting to suffer with some of the new WU's and the PPD's are dropping. People are dropping out of Folding because they can't get the big points anymore and forget their supposedly doing it to save lives...
Good Luck, if you need any help just holler

Old November 27, 2008, 08:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice thanks LCB001. I know I don't really have the chip for SMP but my curious nature has me determined to get it to work at least once. I'm a "been there, done that" sorta person and I like to have at least a little knowledge about everything. I'll get it working for a few days then I'll probably head over to using Boinc as I've been threatening to do the last month.

So has anyone tried out the new GPU client yet? Better, faster, stronger or what?
Old November 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Nice thanks LCB001. I know I don't really have the chip for SMP but my curious nature has me determined to get it to work at least once. I'm a "been there, done that" sorta person and I like to have at least a little knowledge about everything. I'll get it working for a few days then I'll probably head over to using Boinc as I've been threatening to do the last month.

So has anyone tried out the new GPU client yet? Better, faster, stronger or what?
According to uncle_fungus on the folding forums the new core is "Some EUE reporting (backported from the SMP client) and communication timeout fixes"...
And yes I know that 'gotta get it to work' feeling well...
Personally I perfer F@H , I find Boinc almost to easy. With some of our big guns like 3.0charlie, Shadowed, yycraven and a few others not producing any points right now our F@H team is hurting, I'll probably be doing the opposite, pulling my quad from Boinc and back to F@H.