Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2008, 11:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Want to join soon...

For a long time I wondered if it was just some kind of scam but man was I wrong when I actually did a bit of "research". Can't believe I waited that long to look into it.
Couple reasons I want to join and "help" out. Last year my dad got a type of blood cancer (same as Roger Nielson) and my wife a few months ago was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. My dad is doing ok. Hers is not considered serious but it still scares me. We are still waiting to hear when the operation will happen. Hopefully by the holidays. Anyways, I will join in the next couple weeks (hopefully) when I get some rigs built. A few folding newb questions.

What would be better, Powercolour 4670 512mb or xfx 8600 gts 256mb? Point difference?

Does it make a difference point wise if you overclock?

Is it difficult to set up and monitor?

I had other questions but forgot them. And forgive me if I'm asking dumb questions. Thanks.
Old November 4, 2008, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey crazyhorse, consider using your CPU for the HWC BOINC team. We can use all contributors. I started folding for similar reasons to yours in memory of loved ones I have already lost.

I hope with all my heart that your dad and your wife continue to have good health. My good thoughts are with you and your family.

Come join us BOINCing. Just ask anybody, it's a lot of fun!

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old November 4, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks for the kind words misterlarry.

Better with overclocked CPU?
Old November 5, 2008, 12:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, quite a bit apparently. Check out the BOINC thread. I took my OC off because I was having ram issues. As soon as I get my next 4 GB of Mushkin Redlines in though, I believe the OC will be back on.

Come and join us...Johnny... I'm kinda persistent. lol

Old November 5, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Those Redlines are pretty popular around here !

I guess I should worry about getting my rigs built before thinking of overclocking ! Does Hardware Canucks have more than one CPU team?
Old November 5, 2008, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

OOps !!! I didn't see the FAQ !!! Maybe that's a sign I should go to sleep. Read then sleep.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty sure that all CPU folding goes to "BOINC - Rosetta" (rosetta@home) and all GPU folding goes to "folding@home". Check the threads out and you'll have a very good idea of what is going on.

One more time... "come join us Johnny"... we're calling on you. Have fun here buddy!

Old November 5, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

AFAIK the two biggies here are Folding@Home and Boinc and I think HWC only has one team for each. Boinc is only CPU depenant and F@H has an app that uses the GPU. I run Boinc myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
Come join us BOINCing. Just ask anybody, it's a lot of fun!

Never give in to peer pressure... unless your friends tell you to.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 5, 2008, 05:42 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
For a long time I wondered if it was just some kind of scam but man was I wrong when I actually did a bit of "research". Can't believe I waited that long to look into it.
Couple reasons I want to join and "help" out. Last year my dad got a type of blood cancer (same as Roger Nielson) and my wife a few months ago was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. My dad is doing ok. Hers is not considered serious but it still scares me. We are still waiting to hear when the operation will happen. Hopefully by the holidays. Anyways, I will join in the next couple weeks (hopefully) when I get some rigs built. A few folding newb questions.

What would be better, Powercolour 4670 512mb or xfx 8600 gts 256mb? Point difference?

Does it make a difference point wise if you overclock?

Is it difficult to set up and monitor?

I had other questions but forgot them. And forgive me if I'm asking dumb questions. Thanks.
I would definitely use the 8600 over the 4670 for GPU folding, then use BOINC to crunch with your CPU.

Both are very easy to setup, and require almost no interactions once launched.
Old November 5, 2008, 06:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

*whispers* Come join the dark side....