Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default How hardware intensive is boinc?

I am playing with a linux box and don't have access to a lot of the usual OCing software like cpu-z for instance. I'm wondering how intensive boinc is, can it be considered equivalent to orthos to test stability and thermal control since both use 100% CPU?

I'm not really trying to use boinc as an alternative but rather I don't want to take boinc off line while I run a stability test for days to find a stable OC. I realize that if it craps out I lose the work that has been done on that task but if it does stay stable long enough then atleast something worthwhile came out of it instead of just a bunch of wasted hydro running orthos.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old October 31, 2008, 04:44 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Consider this: 2 weeks ago I oc'ed my Q9450 to 3.9GHz stable using the following final tests: OCCT 2 hours, Dual 32M SuperPi and P95 20 hours. Enough, right? But within 4 hours of using BOINC, I had errors. I had to back down to 3.8 for BOINC stability.

BOINC and Fah (CPU) are possibly the toughest 2 apps out there for rig stability. They don't generate as much heat load as the others, but they do push the chips to their limit.
Old October 31, 2008, 04:45 PM
Allstar

Yea, and thats what I did to burn in my quad in my sig when I left for the gold mine camps. I set World Community grid to run 4 instances of boinc at 100 % on a mildly OC system. I ran it for 30 days straight LoL and no hiccups. But, my mom says the whole upstairs was toasty warm hehehe.
Old November 1, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks... As soon as I figure out how to make linux stable I can get to some boincing/OCing.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water