Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Folding Noob :/ (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/10886-folding-noob.html)

kruzn4evr October 15, 2008 06:43 AM

Folding Noob :/

Ok, I've read most of the stuff and I have some results and a few questions. First, I tried the CPU client but found it slow so switched to the Vista GPU w/NVidia viewer 6.20r1. It appears to be working pretty well...I think. Stats show score of 9719 on 21 WU....is that good?...could it be better?

The NVidia viewer shows current work unit info, name: p5506_supervil, what does the signifigance of p5506? and its the only WU name I ever see.
Progress: no problem here...I understand that..lol..Performance: 690 - 715 ns on average....wth does the ns mean?..nano somethings?...lol...and is 700ish good?
Would I get better results if I ran SMP and GPU together?

Part of my confusion is I'm not sure what PPD is (points per day?), do I find this information in fahmon?...if so, where the hell do I get the fahmon file??...lol...I'm either gettin' old or goin' blind but I can't find it. What other programs/files would I find useful? I would like to make the most of both GPU's but all I have is the system tray and have no clue how to adjust and/or make changes.

Anyhow, I feel kinda dumb but I figure we all do at first when learning something completely new so bare with me and my slow learning curve..lol

Cheers :biggrin:

Inik October 15, 2008 07:05 AM

I'm on vista 64, and I kept the default location of the F@H file. It was situated in the folder AppsData. I just browsed the file with Fahmon, and it's working great. When Fahmon load the file, it should see your current task with : completion %, PPD, etc...

PPD = point per day

p5506 = the name of your current working project, probably a protein.

kruzn4evr October 15, 2008 07:34 AM

Hmmm....I'm not seeing a AppsData file at all. All I have is the icon in the taskbar (system tray?). When I go to program files(x86) in the fah@home-gpu folder all it has is the app, license and viewer, no fahmon. Did I install it wrong maybe?

At least I was right on the PPD and p5506...lol

Inik October 15, 2008 07:43 AM

Did you actually install the Fahmon client, which is a separate application

Download it here : Home | FahMon

kruzn4evr October 15, 2008 07:49 AM

Ahhhh...THATS what I've been looking for!...lol...told ya, goin' blind in my ole age..lol...thanks Inikurmoma :)

Is there any other clients or apps I should have?

I'm not sure if both 280's are folding, how can I tell?

Inik October 15, 2008 07:51 AM

For multi GPU folding, I can't help you. I'm only folding with my Gts 512. Someone will probably answer your question soon :P

kruzn4evr October 15, 2008 07:56 AM

Thanks again, I'll get it all figured out with everyones help I'm sure :)

kruzn4evr October 15, 2008 08:08 AM

hmm...tried to open fahmon and get "could not create directory <./config/>" and "directory ./config/' couldn't be created (error 5: access is denied.).....maybe should I close gpu client first?....I'll try it when WU is done.

Inik October 15, 2008 08:18 AM

If you're in Vista like me, I had some error messaged when I wasn't running the program as an administrator. If you succed, browse the F@H file and you shoudl be good.

kruzn4evr October 15, 2008 08:25 AM

I'm Vista 64 as well, I'll figure it out eventually...maybe..lol