Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Ok, lets talk about boxen.

All competitive nature aside , let's get HWC into the top 100.

I have use for a fair 'heatsource' to heat my hallway cement floor.I intend to run 'hydronic' heating lines into the hall floor and tile it , and it seems to me a watercooled high performance boxen might supply heat.

hehe

Any thoughts ?

Old September 23, 2008, 05:42 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
All competitive nature aside , let's get HWC into the top 100.

I have use for a fair 'heatsource' to heat my hallway cement floor.I intend to run 'hydronic' heating lines into the hall floor and tile it , and it seems to me a watercooled high performance boxen might supply heat.

hehe

Any thoughts ?

You want to do what? Heat your tile floor using a lines coming from water-cooled rigs?

It can be done, the heat transfer to the cement should be high, but in order to "heat" the floor, forget CPU folding - you'll need a s*** load of nVidia cards... and the question is: how many? And which one? 8800GT would be a good choice - cheap, sufficient heatload.

That would be one heck of a Folding Farm.
Old September 23, 2008, 06:23 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You want to do what? Heat your tile floor using a lines coming from water-cooled rigs?

It can be done, the heat transfer to the cement should be high, but in order to "heat" the floor, forget CPU folding - you'll need a s*** load of nVidia cards... and the question is: how many? And which one? 8800GT would be a good choice - cheap, sufficient heatload.

That would be one heck of a Folding Farm.
Make for some nice points. Trust BrainEater to come up with that kinda idea, sounds interesting. Can you imagine the tubing he'd need for that loop...

Old September 23, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You guys are funny

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Reminds me of a water-cool system I once saw using copper pipes 4 feet in ground - which acted as a rad. From what I can remember, it worked great. He could do the same but have the copper pipes imbedded between the cement floor and the tiles.
Old September 23, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

I should explain a bit better.

A picture is worth a thousand words , so ;

----

Ok , so , the bottom part (where you see the wood desk) is my LAN room , It's where all my computers are.When I built it , I insulated it for serious sound dampening , prolly r-45 level insulation , as well as frequency layers , so needless to say heat tends to stay.Currently , I have the room actually vented for heat at 300 CFM.

5 steps up , is the main entrance hallway.You can see two doors there , one is my front door , one is the door to the garage.That floor is currently crap lino.it's 3' by 16' concrete prolly 6" thick.

Here's the deal.My garage and front door face north.They never get sun.The garage , and that floor are ALWAYS cold.....

-------

So the thought crossed my mind , if I could move heat from a-to-b , my LAN room would be cooler , and the floor would be warmer.

My actual idea of 'heating the floor with water loops' is waaay down the road , cause I'm the guy thats gotta do it all....hehehe , but the heatsink is there without question.

If I'm going to build a minor folding farm ( which I am) I might as well use the heat.I think I might try pumping the hot air from my rack and main rig out to the floor , but watercooling really would work better.

Just something I'm tossing around in my head.

Old September 23, 2008, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely feasible, with very little parts. A good pump, a res, GPU blocks and of course copper tubing. But something else caught my eye:

Quote:
build a minor folding farm
That's new?
Old September 23, 2008, 07:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
watercooling really would work better.

Just something I'm tossing around in my head.

Yup. Just run a long loop to the area, mount your rad and fans there. Bingo. Heat pump.

If you wanted to get real fancy, use one of the radiant heat tile mats, attach to your concrete, run your loop through that. Or just attach your loop direct to the concrete, use it as a large heatsink.

Enough dumb ideas? Good luck with it. But finish the Think Tank first, will ya?
Old September 23, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe

'Farm' is probably a bad word , but , I usually have 3-4 rigs at least running 24/7/365 ..... I might as well make my 1 server a folding boxen.( I have to upgrade it tho).... I could potentially add 6 clients with a good upgrade.

Old September 23, 2008, 07:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well you will have your own small Geothermal heating and cooling system
Nah! farm is a good word. haha basically this here but in a smaller version.