What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Auzentech X-FI Prelude 7.1 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robscix

11446dea1228e4d4.jpg

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Review

Featuring

11446dddbd0530cc.jpg
11446dddbd057c82.jpg
11446dddbd05906e.jpg
11446dddbd05a470.jpg
11446dddbd05b85c.jpg
11446dddbd05d030.jpg
11446dddbd05ec01.jpg

Coming Soon
11446dddbd0607d1.jpg
11446dddbd0623a2.jpg
11446dddbd06377a.jpg

Price: $199.99 at NCIX
Availability: In Stores now
Manufacturer’s Part Number: Prelude
Warranty: 1 Yr, Hardware warranty​

Introduction

Auzentech inc. has been the topic of much discussion lately, mainly due to the release of the product we are reviewing here today: the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. In the recent past, this same company brought us the first Dolby Digital and DTS compatible soundcards to market with the well known X-Mystique and X-Plosion PCI cards. These products helped gain fame for the manufacturer and set the stage for their next move. With the PC audio market hungry for high quality soundcards it was the Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 sound card that successfully elevated this company to worldwide prominence in the PC audio market and quickly made them a household name among PC audio enthusiasts. The quality of build and sound presented by this product could not be ignored and it remains one of the foremost audio cards produced to date. Auzen is once again in the PC limelight with the announcement of the Auzen X-fi Prelude 7.1. This card seemed to stir up the audio communities like no other preceding product, truly melding the different audio tasks and bringing the best of all worlds to PC audio enthusiasts. Can Auzen successfully offer modern gaming audio standards such as EAX 5.0 and OpenAL 1.1 and still give the user crystal clear high resolution sound quality, Dolby Digital and DTS usually only known by audiophiles? Can they surpass the current levels of sound excellence set by others and most notably, by their own company and products? We shall see….

Auzentech_Prelude_X-Fi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Packaging

Packaging

11446dddc92a3004.jpg
11446dddc92a4bc0.jpg

As we can see, this is a very simple package that strays from Auzen’s trademark orange and black color scheme quite a bit. The packaging also shows that this card sports more audio standards then a even a typical modern home theatre receiver. All notable features and functions are easily laid out on the box for the prospective buyer to view. This package would easily catch your attention in a store and make you want to have a second look. The card is shielded in a plastic snap casing which will be familiar to Auzen’s previous customers. There is a center opening that snugly holds the bundle and accessories. Entire package weighs in at 3.8 Lbs, which may seem like a lot for an audio card but all of the packaging material is to protect the card from shipping damage and this is much appreciated. The included bundle is very straightforward and has no “fluff” to speak of.​

Included in the Box:

Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Audio Card
Quick start leaflet
Toslink fiber optic digital cable (10feet/3meter)
Transparent 3.5mm Miniplug to Toslink adapters (2pcs)
Drivers/applications CD​

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Card and I/O Panel Overview

Card and I/O Panel Overview

11446dddc92a6380.jpg
11446dddc92a7747.jpg

The card's layout is typical of Auzentech and is said to be optimized for quality of signal. Very simple and clean workmanship are trademarks of Auzentech products. The backplate shows Auzentech’s stylish gold connectors. You have Mic input, Line input. The outputs are front, side surround, center and subwoofer and back surround. The RCA connectors are Digital Coaxial input and outputs. There are adapters preset in the package to modify the coaxial input and outputs to optical. The rear pin header is for Auzentech’s line of X-tension boards and there is also a front audio connector for users with these connectors preset in the case. There is also a very BRIGHT green LED (Light emitting Diode) on the card that flashes while the PC is powered up. Auzentech always has a features poll on their website to get feedback from their customers as to which features they would like to see in upcoming products. PCI-E is a preset option on those polls I wouldn’t be surprised if a PCI-E version showed up later on.​

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Specifications and Features

Specifications

Key Components
• Creative X-Fi CA20K audio processor
• One AKM AK-5394 super high performance 96kHz 24-bit ADC for analog input
• Four AKM AK-4396 96kHz 24-bit advanced multi-bit DAC for analog output
• 64Mbytes of memory for audio processing
• High fidelity audio OPAMPs for analog input and output (TI OPA2134)
• Front L/R output OPAMP is replaceable by end-user (National LM4562NA)
• Dual mode S/PDIF receiver and transmitter
• Audio Performance (Rated Output @ 5Vrms, Typical Value)
• Signal-to-Noise Ratio (20kHz Low-pass filter, A-Weighted)
• Stereo Output : 120dB (part spec)
• Front and Rear Channels : 120dB (part spec)
• Center : 120dB (part spec)
• Subwoofer and Side Channels : 120dB (part spec)
• Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise at 1kHz (-3dBFS, A-weighted) : 0.001% - part spec
• Frequency Response (+/-0.01dB, 24-bit/44.1kHz input ) : 20khz (part spec)
• Frequency Response (+/-0.01dB, 24-bit/96kHz input ) : 43.5 kHz (part spec)
• 16-bit to 24-bit recording sampling rates: 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz​

I/O Connectors
• One 3.5mm MIC input connector in rear panel
• One 3.5mm line input connector in rear panel
• One 4-pin AUX connector on board
• Four 3.5mm 8 channel line output connectors in rear panel (FL/FR/C/SW/RL/RR/RSL/RSR)
• One S/PDIF combo input connector in rear panel for receiving either coaxial or optical digital
• One S/PDIF combo output connector in rear panel for transmitting either coaxial or optical digital
• One 10-1pin front panel connector on board for MIC input and headphone support
• One 40-pin digital extension header on board to support AD-Link and other digital functionality​

Features

The Auzen X-Fi Prelude contains the Creative Labs X-Fi DSP Processor (20-KX) which features over 51 million transistors and can output over 10,000 MIPS of power. The 20KX series of DSP processors are 24 times more powerful then earlier designs (10KX series Audigy 2-4).​

The X-Fi DSP features “Active Modal Architecture” allowing the user to easily switch between audio modes for specific audio tasks and puts the processor’s considerable power where it is needed. The audio drivers feature dedicated audio modes for Gaming, Entertainment and Audio Creation. The Prelude features hardware acceleration for the latest in 3D gaming technologies such as EAX 1,2,3,4 and 5 as well as support for OpenAL 1.1. There is also 64MB of dedicated X-Ram on the card for existing and future gaming. The X-Ram is used as a buffer for game audio samples which improves load times if they are already on the card for processing. All features and standards run into a high resolution output section. The card can handle 24/96 output in 7.1 or 24/192 output in 2 channel mode. Auzen packed a lot of features into one card and promises more features to follow with high resolution digital standards such as Dolby Digital Live, DTS connect (which is DTS Neo:pc) and DTS Interactive. The card is also expandable with the existing X-tension Din card. The X-Tension Din card adds additional TRS 5.5mm MIC input an additional Midi I/O, Coaxial and optical 24/192 I/O and a G9 Digital connector for certain digital speaker models from Creative Labs. This X-Tension Din card is sold separately and it is aimed more at the home recording artists and possibly HTPC users and not really needed for general users.​

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Electronic Overview

Electronics Overview

What truly makes this card stand out from its predecessors is Auzentech’s choice of components used in the card’s output stages. The use of high quality components, optimized board designs, circuit layouts and attention to detail is a hallmark of Auzentech products and the Prelude is no exception. We shall examine the entire output chain to show the reader what they can expect in their new card.​

DAC/ADC Overviews.

11446dddc92a8b1b.jpg
11446ddde8d308f6.jpg

DAC- Digital to analog converters are very important for the overall sound quality of the card and Auzentech chose to use four high quality AKM-4396 192kHz 24-bit ∆∑ multi-bit DAC’s. This chip offers pristine 24/192 playback at an incredible 120db dynamic range with Total THD+N -100db This converter has been referred to by some as a “Miracle DAC” and offers low out of band noise and resistance to digital clock jitter.​

ADC- Analog to digital converter is used for analog input into the card through microphone and line in devices. The card is outfitted with an AKM-5394 high resolution 24/192∆Σ ADC. Featuring a SNR 123db and S/ (N+D) 110dB and High Performance Linear Phase Digital Anti-Alias filter. The Auzen Prelude 7.1 input section is more the suitable for the home recording artist looking to lay down some new tracks.​

Opamp Overviews.

Operational Amplifiers are the final stage for a soundcard and changing the cards opamps seems to be all the rage with PC audio enthusiast as of late. Many people have realized that by using better then stock or higher quality opamps you can increase the overall sound quality outputted by your soundcard. A lot of companies will use the opamps as a place to cut on costs of the card and use generic “Jelly-Bean” amps, aptly named for the quantity received for the price, you get handfuls for pennies. It is very unfortunate some manufactures use cheap opamps as this is the final stage of the card and is crucial to maintaining an overall high sound quality for their products. Auzentech decided to use high quality audio amps throughout the cards design. The Prelude features the relatively new National Semiconductor LM4562NA Audio opamp for the Prelude’s stereo channels and four Burr Brown OPA2134 audio opamps for the remaining channels.​

LM4562 Opamps

11446ddde8d320b6.jpg
11446ddde8d334a3.jpg

This operational amplifier is very new to the audio market but has gained wide acceptance among PC audio and DIY audio aficionados alike. The chip has a very linear response across the spectrum which results in a very neutral sounding amplifier without added colorations or distortion commonly found in otherew sound card designs after finding wide acceptance among X-Meridian owners and “Classic” X-Fi owners alike. The graph above shows the very low THD+N% across the spectrum. THD+N is the Total Harmonic distortion + No lesser amplifiers. It has been used in quite a few nise present in the component. Lower values are better as any distortion or noise is bad but there is always a small amount.​

OPA2134 Opamps

11446dde2125139b.jpg
11446dde21252f6d.jpg

This amplifier is very well know and very well utilized in everything from DIY headphone amplifiers to modern consumer grade audio units. This amp has a very classic “laid back” sound with good bass and nice mid and glossy high range. These amps are very clear and analytical. Offering low distortion with a THD+N of ~0.00008% the combination of both amplifiers should yield a product of amazing sound quality when compared with competitors’ products and existing competing PC audio products.​

Additional Components

11446dde21254330.jpg
11446dde212556f4.jpg

The card also contains 64 MB of X-Ram. This ram is used as a buffer and holds audio samples for faster loading in newer games. There are a few games using it right now and game developers should continue to take advantage of the hardware.​

The X-Fi Processor is a 20KX series Digital signal processor and is covered by a heat sink I didn’t want to remove for fear of damaging the card itself.​

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Installation & Audio Setup

Installation & Audio Setup

11446dde21256ab9.jpg

I put the install CD in my DVD drive and that was that. In other words, the driver installation was a snap. I have been using the card for while and have had no errors, crashes or freezes. There have been no in game or audio anomalies to speak of and the included drivers are rock solid. For those wondering, the Creative X-Fi drivers cannot be installed for this card. Once installed, the driver features a simple three panel control center for major audio task such as: Entertainment, Gaming and Audio Creation. Switching modes I found the drivers very easy to use and every control was easy to find. The lower left corner has a mode button to easily change for the task at hand. There is also a third party Mode Changer application that changes automatically based on the applications you choose using profiles for example if you load a game it will switch to game mode etc. Very handy and is compatible with a little modification. The drivers installed just as easily in Vista. There is a small Alchemy issue I will outline later. Below is the Audio creation panel, very familiar to a home recording user. This panel is laid out like an audio mixer easily mapping all input and outputs. There are also channel insert effects, AUX effects and Master Aux effects to use in your recordings. Included hardware effects are Auto Wah, Chorus, Compressor, Distortion, Flanger, Parametric Eq, Pitch Shifter and Vocal Morpher. This gives the home recording group many hardware effects to use on vocal tracks or to use live while tracking a instrument such as a electric guitar.​

11446dde2bf45c72.jpg

The panel below is Entertainment Mode and would be used for movies and music listening. You have controls for speaker selection X-fi CMSS 3D upmix technology, headphone technology. There are settings for the 24 bit Crystalizer which helps with making music more bright and punchy. There is SVM which is smart volume management which keeps rapid changes in volume levels in check. You also have a 10 preset, 10 band Graphic equalizer with overall Preamp control. There is also a master mixer for your cards inputs and digital settings. Timbre controls (Bass, Treble) are also easy to find.​

11446dde2bf47830.jpg

This final panel is the Gaming mode control panel. You have controls for the X-fi CMSS3D Upmix and headphone technologies, the X-fi Crystalizer controls, Equalizer and mixer controls. The very bottom controls are speaker selection and bass redirection including a +15 decibel boost. These bass controls change when using speakers or headphones.​

11446dde2bf49016.jpg

The same “Modal architecture” and overall drivers are present in Microsoft Vista. I found the overall panels easy to use and all controls are intuitive if you have experience using audio cards. All audio settings are independent of other panels so for instance if you turn on CMSS3D for gaming with headphones it will not remain enabled on the other panels. This is very nice feature. Drivers, of course are always evolving and Auzen will continually post new driver revision on their site. I should also note here that current ALchemy versions are not compatible with the Prelude. The site says it is being remedied and a new version for the Auzen Prelude will be available shortly. For those of you unfamiliar, Windows Vista does not have direct sound extensions and in turn needs EAX games to be modified with the ALchemy application to provide proper surround sound and gaming effects via the OpenAL API.​

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Listening Tests

Listening Tests

Speakers used: Edifier S5.1 240 Watt 5.1 set
Headphones used: Generic audio monitoring Cans.​

a. Music
Music has taken on new dynamic sounds which were missing prior to the introduction of the Prelude into my system. This is not saying my previous cards sounded bad per se; just not quite as good. There is some nice creamy reverb available for people who like that sort of effect or are looking to add some ambiance to their music. The EQ seems to modify “colors” of the sound and not so much frequency. In addition, the songs I have listened to for years have taken on a new fresh very dynamic presence. Listening to the music on my headphones is also a great treat since the LM4562 opamp produces a sound which is incredibly clear and a sound stage which is very wide. The CMSS3D upmix and headphone technology aids in pulling the sound “out of your head” giving an overall very pleasing sound while listening to music using 2 channel headphones. This card has very hot outputs common to Auzen’s latest offerings, so turning up the volume must be done carefully.
When testing this card with the Edifier S5.1 240 watt surround system, the card was able to output a very clear signal all the way up the scale. There was very clean bass without tubbiness, drop out or washout, in fact I found the bass very articulate and well defined. There was a nice mid presence without any “scratchiness”. I found there was also a high frequency extension that is heard on some songs.​

b. Movies
I auditioned all of the “Standard” Movies to be tested when trying out an audio product and I can say, the Auzentech Prelude 7.1 did not disappoint. All of the tested DVD’s sounded amazing with this card installed. There was nice deep bass when it was needed and there was a presence and immersion which was just amazing. You will have to stop yourself from jacking up the volume and blowing out your windows if you have a high-quality 7.1 speaker system. Bravo.​

Tested DVD scenes:
Saving Private Ryan - Omaha Landing sequences
Star Wars Revenge of the Sith – Intro flying sequences.
Twister – Any of the Tornado sequences
Ozzy Osbourne – Live at Budokan

c. Gaming
I opted to use games I play all the time in order to test out the new gaming features of this card. My existing games sounded more realistic, open and dynamic. The directional audio cues from EAX games were exact and help immensely with imaging and immersion. The tested games sound better using the Auzen X-fi Prelude then any existing gaming card I have ever heard and my games were also noticeably faster than with my previous cards. Using the CMSS3D headphone while gaming was exceptional and I am now shopping for new and better headphones to compliment the card! I noticed new subtle sounds in games I had not heard previously. The games I thought I knew so well now sounded totally different, more exciting and were on the whole a lot more immersive than I thought possible The gaming of course was overall very impressive.​

Games tested were:
Call of Duty II
Call of Juarez
Thief 3: Deadly Shadows

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
RMAA Testing

RMAA Testing

We are using RMAA 3D to show the CPU usage over buffers of the tested cards. I am testing the Prelude 7.1 against an Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 to illustrate the boost in gaming the Prelude can produce. I am also using an Audigy 2 Hardware card for contrast. The X-Meridian 7.1 is a software based effects card and while it can perform EAX 1 and 2 in games it is done through software and is more taxing on the System. The Prelude contains a 20KX DSP processor and all gaming effects are off-loaded to the DSP chips on the card and the Prelude is much less taxing on the system. Your measurements may vary as system load is also a factor. The Audigy 2 and Prelude data was very close in my measurements except the Audigy 2 only has 62 buffers in Direct sound 3D+EAX. This test doesn’t take into account higher levels of EAX. These measurements were done under WindowsXP.​

11446dde2bf4abe8.jpg
11446dde2bf4c7b8.jpg

11446dde2bf4e388.jpg

I am a little surprised with the overall results of the measurements and only put so much stock in the results. To illustrate my point you can clearly see how the hardware acceleration helps. The Preludes results are very low showing it is very CPU light when gaming. The X-Meridian results were extremely high, I believe this has something to do directly with the high buffer measurements as with this card they are all done through the systems CPU and RAM. I was also surprised with the results presented by the Audigy 2 card, showing slightly lower CPU usage then the X-fi Prelude. I think this is the result of the measuring methods and possibly driver maturity. The tests are to be used as guidelines and can vary from system to system and are not meant as absolutes.​

RMAA Measurement tests

I am using this application to measure various parameters of the soundcards being tested for the review. This application and the data it produces are a bit of a controversy because there are factors that can throw off the measurement and accuracy. I tested in both internal and external loop back modes. The internal loop back mode shows the quality of the internal routings as the signal never goes to the output stage. The external loop back mode is test that is solely based on the playback and recording capabilities of the cards in question. A card may have excellent playback and alright recording but it will show as decrease in playback quality. These numbers are submitted as guidelines only and could possibly vary from system to system. There are a lot of unseen and unavoidable variables.​

Shown graphs are for 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/96 and 24/192. Remember testing varies based on the cards input also, so all tests should be used as only a guideline. A device can measure great and sound bad and measure bad and sound great. Audio is really subjective. These tests are really just examples. These tests while not able to show us how good this card sounds, they can illustrate to some degree how good the cards hardware actually is.​

Frequency Response

The straighter the better, it shows the card outputs have even signal level for each frequency.​

This test was performed to test the output characteristics of the card. Some soundcards outputs can vary greatly which colors the sounds quite a bit. The linear nature of the results is very good. When there is variance there is color added to the sound. The brickwall limit in the 24/192 sampling is most likely the upper limits of the recording input.​

11446dde32b872a8.png

Noise level

The lower the better. This graph shows the card has a very low noise floor. Usually noise is expressed in a ratio of sound to noise or SNR.​

11446dde32b88e76.png

Dynamic Range

This graph show the card has a very wide dynamic range.​

The dynamic range is the difference between the loudest and quietest signal the card is capable of producing the larger the range the better.​

11446dde32b8aa48.png

THD+N

This is the total harmonic distortion plus noise. The lower the measurement the better​

This shows the amount of harmonic distortion present in the signal. Harmonics present themselves as overtones in the original signal. These are good results.​

11446dde32b8c617.png

Stereo Crosstalk

This is the bleed through between channels, the lower the better.
This test shows bleed through between the left and right channels. These are very good results. There is very little channel interaction.​

11446dde32b8ddee.png

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Long Term Testing and Modding Options

Long Term Testing

I will be performing extensive long term testing on this card as future digital features will be added to the card over time through software and/or driver updates. There is also the upcoming HDMI X-Tension board that is eagerly waited for by a great many people. I will add this card to my arsenal for future reference and comparative reviews. I will also run more RMAA 3D and Measurement tests to add to a data base for future reference by site readers. I will keep a running update of information related to the Prelude for the readers.​

Modding Options

The simplest modification to this card would be a new high quality opamp for the front channels, which would improve gaming with headphones. Auzentech added the opamp many people would recommend for this position. This card is very solid and I don’t see a lot of “Easy” mods that could be done to improve anything. The possibility of adding RFI/EMI shielding medium is certainly there. The 2134UA’s could be changed out for some LM4562MA’s to give a full set of LM opamps on all output channels. I am not sure how high the cost to benefit would be with that. Most modding practices involve changing poor components for better ones. The component choices on the Prelude are solid and well thought out.​

Note: Any modding ideas or suggestions are just that, not meant to be done by an amateur or novice. You can easily destroy your card and certainly void you warranty.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Conclusion

Conclusion

Auzentech definitely listened to their customer base when they headed to the drawing board for the Prelude 7.1. It has a bundle of wanted features that were almost impossible to get on one sound card up until now. I am very impressed with this card from start to finish. The sound quality coupled with gaming features and new high resolution digital output specifications (which will be added) make this one solid offering from the Auzen audio group. It is in my opinion a modern audio masterpiece. It sounds very open, full and dynamic and it easily sounds the best out of the cards tested. I did a quick comparison with my neighbors X-Fi X-Music and you can easily hear improvements. In fact it is one of the best cards I have ever heard and had in my lab for review. Indeed, Auzentech has succeeded in creating a card that has something for everybody.​

This card gets a 5/5 from this reviewer and will stay in my system until I have to review another audio card.​

PROS
• Solid drivers
• Amazing sound quality​
• Replaceable front opamp
• High quality parts
• Cmss3D for headphones
• Driver updates offering new functions to the user

CONS
• Digital surround features not present at time of release

11446dde32b8f1c6.jpg

11446cf023446006.jpg

Review by: ROBSCIX​