Quantcast

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X & 1950X Review

Author: SKYMTL
Date: August 9, 2017
Product Name: Ryzen Threadripper 1920X / 1950X Review
Warranty: 3 Years
Share |

Power Consumption

I don’t typically dedicate a whole page to power consumption but there’s a pretty substantial story lurking behind the numbers you see below and how they directly relate to TDP claims from both Intel and AMD. Without getting too technical, the way these two companies go about measuring TDP is fundamentally different from one another.

What you need to know is that TDP values are a universally poor way to determine actual power consumption for end users since they are simply thermal design guidelines that are given to system integrators. As I say in every review, TDP is not actual power consumption so don’t take it as such.

As both Intel and AMD recommend, the best way to measure true power deltas between processors is via a simple (yet calibrated) power meter plugged into the wall outlet. That’s exactly what we do but add in a controlled 120V power input to eliminate voltage irregularities from impacting the results.

Naturally, these results really do require a bit of context. Even though Threadripper is built on an efficient manufacturing process, the sheer number of cores housed within each CPU package guarantees these will be among the most power hungry desktop processors ever created. And yet, both the 1920X and 1950X consume less power than AMD’s now-ancient FX-9590.

When compared against Intel’s i9-7900X, both processors may actually have a slight performance per watt lead in some highly multi threaded applications. Remember, that 1920X boasts four more threads than Intel’s current HEDT flagship and yet consumes about the same amount of power.

As for temperatures, that’s always a tricky thing to comparatively measure on processors and doing so with Threadripper is even more difficult. The problem is that none of my air coolers that I used on other processors fit onto its mammoth IHS. Hence, I was forced to use a Corsair H90 and hope for the best. It worked but the temperature results weren’t anything to be proud of. With the fans spinning in the Auto mode, both processors idled between 29.6°C and 31.1°C. Hitting the 1950X with a multi core load saw temperatures spike to 80°C while the 1920X ended up hitting about just south of that at 78.5°C. Remember, these are stock numbers running on one of the best dual fan AIOs you can but. You need some serious cooling for Threadripper, there's no two ways about that.

Latest Reviews in Processors
October 30, 2017
Sandy Bridge processors like the i7-2600K were CPUs that defined a generation and they've stood the test of time. But with Coffee Lake now here, is it finally time to upgrade?...
October 4, 2017
Intel's Coffee Lake is here....and with some surprising performance to boot. But can the new i7-8700K & i5-8400 processors weather the Ryzen onslaught?...
September 24, 2017
Intel's 18 core, 36 thread i9-7980XE and 16 core, 32 thread i9-7960X are finally here. But can their performance and price points ever be justified against AMD's Threadripper?...