What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X & 1200 Performance Review

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Gaming Performance (Battlefield 1 / COD: IW)

Battlefield 1

Battlefield 1 will likely become known as one of the most popular multiplayer games around but it also happens to be one of the best looking titles around. It also happens to be extremely well optimized with even the lowest end cards having the ability to run at high detail levels.

In this benchmark we use a runthough of The Runner level after the dreadnought barrage is complete and you need to storm the beach. This area includes all of the game’s hallmarks in one condensed area with fire, explosions, debris and numerous other elements layered over one another for some spectacular visual effects.

RYZEN-3-53.jpg

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

The latest iteration in the COD series may not drag out niceties like DX12 or particularly unique playing styles but it nonetheless is a great looking game that is quite popular.

This benchmark takes place during the campaign’s Operation Port Armor wherein we run through a sequence combining various indoor and outdoor elements along with some combat.

RYZEN-3-56.jpg

Ryzen just can’t seem to catch much of a break in games and despite being a game that was heavily sponsored by AMD Battlefield 1 shows the Ryzen 3 processors very close to the back of the chart. Here the i3-7300 is more than 10% faster on average than the 1300X and the i3-7100 in nearly 15% faster than the 1200.

Call of Duty on the other hand exhibits a game engine framerate cap so pretty much all of the processors perform equally. So let’s move on.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
Gaming Performance (Deus Ex / DOOM)

Deus Ex – Mankind Divided

Deus Ex titles have historically combined excellent storytelling elements with action-forward gameplay and Mankind Divided is no difference. This run-through uses the streets and a few sewers of the main hub city Prague along with a short action sequence involving gunplay and grenades.

RYZEN-3-54.jpg

Doom

Not many people saw a new Doom as a possible Game of the Year contender but that’s exactly what it has become. Not only is it one of the most intense games currently around but it looks great and is highly optimized. In this run-through we use Mission 6: Into the Fire since it features relatively predictable enemy spawn points and a combination of open air and interior gameplay.

RYZEN-3-57.jpg

Deus Ex sees the graphics card become a lot more of a bottleneck so at the top end at the processors between the Ryzen 5 1400 and i7-7700K literally offer the same performance. That includes the surprisingly fast Ryzen 3 1300X as well. The 1200 shows some respectable results too

Much like Call of Duty, Doom has an in-engine rendering cap that limits performance to 200 frames per second. However, while the Ryzen 3 1300X is able to keep up with the big boys, as is the more affordable Ryzen 3 1200.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
Gaming Performance (GTA V / Overwatch)

Grand Theft Auto V

In GTA V we take a simple approach to benchmarking: the in-game benchmark tool is used. However, due to the randomness within the game itself, only the last sequence is actually used since it best represents gameplay mechanics.

RYZEN-3-58.jpg

Overwatch

Overwatch happens to be one of the most popular games around right now and while it isn’t particularly stressful upon a system’s resources, its Epic setting can provide a decent workout for all but the highest end GPUs. In order to eliminate as much variability as possible, for this benchmark we use a simple “offline” Bot Match so performance isn’t affected by outside factors like ping times and network latency.

RYZEN-3-55.jpg

I have a funny feeling that we will see these new Ryzen 3 processors in quite a few entry-level MOBA and FPS rigs so performance in Overwatch is pretty important. While neither Ryzen 3 CPU can directly compete with the i3 processors, they do put up a valiant effort. That 1200 though simply doesn’t have the stock clock speeds necessary for adequate gaming performance.

Rounding out the game testing is a bit of an oddity. Even though Grand Theft Auto’s game engine is DX11-based it absolutely loves two things: many threads and Intel processors. That means the Ryzen 3 1300X and 1200 come up a bit short against the usual i3’s but not by a huge margin.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
Power Consumption

Power Consumption

Without getting too technical, the way these two companies go about measuring TDP is fundamentally different from one another. What you need to know is that TDP values are a universally poor way to determine actual power consumption for end users since they are simply thermal design guidelines that are given to system integrators. As I say in every review, TDP is not actual power consumption so don’t take it as such.

As both Intel and AMD recommend, the best way to measure true power deltas between processors is via a simple (yet calibrated) power meter plugged into the wall outlet. That’s exactly what we do but add in a controlled 120V power input to eliminate voltage irregularities from impacting the results.

RYZEN-3-59.jpg

There’s no denying both of these new Ryzen 3 processors are quite efficient but they are also showing what happens when quad core parts go up against the dual cores. Remember these are in essence eight core chips that have half their logical processing nodes cut and that in itself leads to some efficiency losses. As a result, against Intel’s i3, Ryzen 3 really doesn’t fare all that well in the power consumption field.

This isn’t to say that Ryzen 3 is inefficient since it sips electricity when compared to AMD’s lineup of 6 and eight core chips but it won’t win many performance per watt competitions against Intel.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
Overclocking Results - In Search of 4GHz

Overclocking Results - In Search of 4GHz

The ability to overclock through unlocked multipliers will always be one of jewels within Ryzen 3’s crown. To get that same feature on the Intel side will cost you significantly more since Team Blue has effectively locked out overclocking from all but their K-series SKUs and Z270 motherboards. AMD on the other hand has the B350 / Ryzen 3 combo that can go for over $150 less but do these processors actually have anything left in the tank or is the unlocked multiplier just window dressing? The answer to that is a bit complicated.

Overclocking Ryzen processors hasn’t changed one iota since their launch earlier this year. The process is straightforward: grab a good cooler, increase VCore, boost SOC voltage and start fiddling with multipliers until your system black screens. Then step back one level and try again. All of these CPUs have a predetermined power input limiter in place that’s determined by AMD’s algorithms and a specific processor’s attributes. As a rule of thumb, most Ryzen samples I’ve seen max out between 3.9GHz and 4.1GHz with a few trending lower than that. Ryzen 3 is no different but unlike with i3 processors, that still means there’s performance on tap for you to find.

To get the clock speeds you see below, I did things a bit differently than usual. I ended up using an ASUS B350 PRIME PLUS motherboard and a GTX 1080 (hence why the 3D results are a bit different).

RYZEN-3-62.jpg

Start off with the Ryzen 3 1300X and I was actually a bit surprised to see all the cores running at a constant 4GHz. That’s a pretty notable increase from the All Core Boost 3.6GHz and the resulting performance increases put this processor in direct competition with the i5-7500.

RYZEN-3-63.jpg

The Ryzen 3 1200 didn’t fare quite as well from an overall frequency standpoint but its rise from a lowly 3.1GHz all the way to 3.7GHz on all cores was impressive to say the least. This little guy can really put down the pedal to the metal through overclocking but you’ll need a good chip to insure stability above 3.5GHz.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
Conclusion - Finally, Affordable Competition

Conclusion - Finally Affordable Competition

When approaching a review like this, check your expectations at the door; these budget-friendly processors won’t light the world on fire with extreme performance. But from AMD’s perspective they do stand a very good chance of upsetting Intel where it matters: in the key volume-focused system integrator market. Naturally, after seeing what the underdog Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 processors could achieve against the incumbent i7 / i5 lineup, expectations were high for Ryzen 3.

Since the days of Phenom, AMD has been trying to achieve something resembling parity with Intel by offering more processing threads for less money. That trend continued with Bulldozer’s various iterations and has been (though to a lesser extent) one of the hallmarks of Ryzen 7 / 5 too. Ryzen 3 on the other hand has the thankless job of matching Intel’s i3-7300 and i3-7100 thread for thread without a clock speed advantage. But what looks like a potential shellacking on paper actually turned into an AMD win from a number of key perspectives.

You see, as I mentioned in this review’s long-winded introduction Intel achieves their quad threads through HyperThreading on dies that have two physical cores. Ryzen 3 in comparison has four logical processing cores and that difference is actually quite a bit more notable that you may believe. In some situations HT’s presence is transparent but in many others Ryzen 3’s layout makes a world of difference. This leads to a kind of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde effect when looking at comparative performance between these two distinct microarchitectures.

Let’s take the Real World testing as a great example of this behavior. The Ryzen 3 1300X is able to leverage both its frequencies and physical core count to remain comfortably ahead of Intel’s i3-7300 in tasks like rendering, video conversion and exporting 4K Adobe Premier projects. However, we see it come crashing back down to earth in compression and photo manipulation applications. Even with the latest AGESA updates, lightly threaded scenarios are evidently still a challenge for Ryzen.

The Ryzen 3 1200 falls into the same habits but it further struggles against the i3-7100 in situations where the 1300X proved to be the i3-7300’s superior. Its low clocks base / boost clocks and a lack of the 1300X's extra XFR "gear" contributes to a near-perfect storm. However narrow they may be, those losses in Corona and Blender hit AMD where it hurts most: scenarios where Ryzen 3 should be the superior option. Luckily applications like Adobe Premier, Handbrake and some others absolutely love the native quad core setup so the Ryzen 3 is saved from complete embarrassment.

Efficiency needs to be mentioned too since TDP tends to be a key factor for system integrators. In that respect Ryzen 3’s native quad core die fares poorly against the dual core i3’s even though performance per watt is nearly neck and neck (Intel still maintains a lead though). This should not dissuade DIYers, though system integrators may see this as a reason to utilize Intel's wares.

Gaming is another area where Ryzen has historically lagged behind but as with previous Ryzen 7 and 5 tests, the 1300X and 1200 don’t fall all that far behind their direct Intel competitors. But Ryzen 3's framerates aren't anything to celebrate either. Once again this disparity boils down to Zen’s inherent challenges with minimally threaded workloads and like it or not, games will remain CPU-light applications for the forseeable future.

On a personal note I think the gaming results for Ryzen 3 shouldn’t be consumed in a vacuum by comparing them solely to i3 CPUs. Due to the inherent nature of many game engines and their requirement for (at most) four threads, budget processors like the i3-7300, i3-7100, Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 provide a phenomenal value for entry level gamers. As a matter of fact, when paired up with a B350 motherboard Ryzen 3 ups that value quotient significantly by lowering the overall platform cost without sacrificing features like overclocking and forward-looking connectivity.

Speaking of overclocking I have to give AMD credit for not walling additional performance away like Intel is wont to do. However, my OC experience on Ryzen 3 was fraught with issues. First and foremost the AEGSA 1.0.0.6 update completely blocked any clock speed increases if a direct voltage input was used (offset voltage worked like a charm though) and actually underclocked both CPUs whenever their multipliers were changed. In addition, that hard cap on frequencies everyone has experienced with other Ryzen CPUs is back with a vengeance, shutting down the 1300X and 1200 at 4.0GHz and 3.7GHz respectively. While those clock speeds do boost benchmark results to some great levels, I found myself wishing there was a bit more left in the tank. Maybe I'm just getting greedy.

As you may have probably guessed I have divergent opinions about the Ryzen 3 1300X and 1200. There’s no doubt the 1300X is a darling of a processor; it consistently beats the i3-7300 while costing less money and in some cases it even competes against the outgoing 8-core FX-8370. Overclock it and you'll be looking at i5-7500 performance levels. If there was ever a CPU that personified the advances AMD made with Zen, this is it. To say I’m a fan would be an understatement of epic proportions.

Unfortunately, the Ryzen 3 1200’s situation is much less clear cut. While it did trade blows with Intel’s i3-7100 it also fell behind in some benchmarks that have been cornerstones of AMD’s recent successes. That made the comparatively low in-game framerate numbers impossible to ignore. I can certainly see the 1200 being a great choice for entry level prebuilt systems but I recommend DIYer’s spend the extra $20 and pick up a 1300X instead. For the price of four overpriced Starbucks Venti Lattes you can pick up a clearly superior processor.

One of the hallmarks of Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 processors was their versatility and that story marches on with Ryzen 3. While the 1300X takes the prize in my books, I nonetheless feel both of these CPUs rightly continue AMD’s market shakeup. It may have seemed that bringing great performance to lower price brackets was nothing more than a laudable goal but Ryzen 3 has taken that dream and turned it into a very tempting reality.

DGV.gif
Z270I_STRIX-202.png

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X

Last edited:

Latest posts