Quantcast

CES 2017: MSI Launches Five Kaby Lake Desktop Gaming PCs

by MAC     |     January 6, 2017

MSI have announced a handful of new gaming desktop PC's that are powered by the latest Kaby Lake processors.

For a second year in the row, MSI have announced a rich assortment of gaming-oriented desktop computers. If the black and red colour schemes and distinct designs didn’t give it away, MSI is really pushing the gaming angle. As you will see below, all of these rather small systems have features that make them ideal for LAN parties, such as built-in handles, somewhere to hang your headset, or just their significant power/size ratios.

MSI are launching four different Aegis models, one medium-sized and three smaller units that share the same chassis. All three have cases with dual chambers, the top half holds the GPU chamber and the bottom half is where you will find the CPU. The power supply is actually built into the base. Since these computers are designed for LAN parties, each case features a built-in handle, and little wing on the Aegis models is a actually headphone/headset hanger.

The Aegis Ti3 is the largest model in MSI’s gaming desktop lineup, it features a Core i7-7700K processor paired to a Z270 motheboard, four empty SO-DIMM DDR4-2400 slots that can hold up to 64GB, and you’re choice of either two GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB or two GTX 1080 GAMING 8GB graphics cards. There is room for two 3.5” hard drives, one 2.5” storage device, and an amazing three M.2 NVMe PCI-E SSDs. It also features one Killer E2500-powered gigabit LAN port, as well as a Killer Wireless-AC 1435 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.1 module. The whole kit is powered by a 850W 80 Plus Platinum certified power supply.

This model will be available sometime later in January 2017.

The medium-sized Aegis X3 and Aegis 3 share an identical case, but different internals. The Aegis X3 features largely the same specs as the Aegis Ti3, except it can only handle only GTX 1070 or 1080 graphics card, has only two RAM slots, and features a smaller 600W 80 Plus Silver power supply.

The Aegis 3 is a slightly de-tuned model with a non-overclockable Core i7-7700 processor paired to an equally non-overclocking B250 motherboard, two empty SO-DIMM DDR4-2400 slots that can hold up to 32GB, and you’re choice of a GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 6GB or GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB graphics card. There is room for two 3.5” hard drives, one 2.5” storage device, and a two (instead of three) M.2 NVMe PCI-E SSDs. It still features one Killer E2500-powered gigabit LAN port, but the Killer Wireless-AC 1435 Wi-Fi module has been replaced by an Intel Wireless-AC 3168, which on the plus side adds support for Bluetooth 4.2. The power supply has also been downgraded to a 450W 80 Plus Bronze unit.

The Nightblade 3 appears to be a nice upgrade from last year’s Skylake-powered Nightblade 2. It features a Core i7-7700 processor paired to a B250 motherboard, a GeForce GTX 1070 8GB graphics card, two empty regular DDR4-2133/2400 RAM slots that can hold up to 32GB, and a GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB graphics card. There is room for one 3.5” hard drives, two 2.5” storage devices, and one M.2 SATA SSD. This model features an Intel i219-V gigabit LAN port, and an Intel Wireless-AC 3168 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.2 module. There is an integrated 500W 80 Plus Silver power supply.

The Nightblade MI3 features a Core i5-7400 processor paired to a B250 motherboard, two empty SO-DIMM DDR4-2133/2400 RAM slots that can hold up to 32GB, and a GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING 6GB graphics card. There is room for two 3.5” hard drives, one 2.5” storage device, and a two M.2 SATA SSDs. It features one Qualcomm QCA8171 gigabit LAN port, and an Intel Wireless-AC 3168 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.2 module. The power supply is a 350W 80 Plus Bronze unit.

The Nightblade MIB is quite similar to the Nightblade MI3 specs wise, but in a different case. It features a Core i5-7400 processor paired to a B250 motherboard, two empty SO-DIMM DDR4-2133/2400 RAM slots that can hold up to 32GB, and a compact GeForce GTX 1060 ITX GAMING 3G graphics card. There is room for two 3.5” hard drives, one 2.5” storage device, and a two M.2 SATA SSDs. It features one Qualcomm QCA8171 gigabit LAN port, and an Intel Wireless-AC 3168 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.2 module. The power supply is a 350W 80 Plus Bronze unit.

All these new MSI Nightblade series models are available now, but we don't have any pricing details.

The Trident 3 is a compact system that was designed for the living room and for VR gaming in particular. While it was designed to sit flat, it also comes with a dock so that it can be vertically mounted.

It can be ordered with either a Core i5-7400 or Core i5-7700 processor, paired to a H110 motherboard, two empty SO-DIMM DDR4-2400 RAM slots that can hold up to 32GB, and a GeForce GTX 1060 3G or 6GB graphics card. There is room for one 2.5” storage device and one M.2 SATA SSD. It features one Intel i219-V-powered gigabit LAN port, and an Intel Wireless-AC 3168 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.2 module. The power supply is a 230W unit with no listed efficiency rating.

There is also a ton of ports on the Trident 3. The front has one headphone jack, a microphone jack, one USB 3.0 Type-C port, two USB 3.0 Type-A ports, and one VR-Link port (ie: an HDMI Out). The rear I/O panel features one microphone jack, one line-in jack, one line-out jack, one LAN port, one USB 3.0 Type-A port, two USB 2.0 ports, one HDMI port, one VR-Link (HDMI OUT), and the DC power jack.

The Trident 3 is available right now, starting at $899 USD.

Latest Reviews in Systems News
April 5, 2017
Gigabyte's newest BRIX now rocks a Kaby Lake i7-7500U processor but how much performance can such a small PC really offer?...
January 10, 2017
MSI have announced a handful of new gaming desktop PC's that are powered by the latest Kaby Lake processors....
January 10, 2017
Whether you're looking for a new high-quality power supply or a sharp-edged living room computer, CORSAIR have got you covered....