Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme Review

Author: SKYMTL
Date: August 17, 2016
Product Name: GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme
Part Number: ZT-P10700B-10P
Warranty: 3 Years
Share |

Conclusion; Big GPU, Bigger Expectations

There are some who say good things come in small packages but Iím not one of those. I donít know about you but every Christmas Iím the one staring in envy at the biggest present under tree in the secret hope it has my name on it. The Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme is for folks like me. This thing is brash, unapologetically huge and about as subtle as a slap to the face with a wet fish. I absolutely love it.

If you are looking for a compact graphics card that will fit into an SFF chassis, you may as well stop reading now since, at almost 13Ē in length this GTX 1070 may actually have a tough time fitting into some ATX cases. While most people will know what theyíre getting into here, this is nonetheless something that should be mentioned.

The AMP! Extremeís physical size may be its only real downfall but also one of its greatest assets; think of it as the John Holmes of graphics cardsÖ.and donít Google that name at work. Unlike some of their competitors, Zotac has been able to leverage this GTX 1070ís length and girth to good effect. The heatsink provides some of the lowest temperatures Iíve seen from a Pascal-based GPU and thatís been coupled with such low noise output I had to check a few times to assure myself the fans were actually running.

The only small hiccup in the whole setup is the center fan which pulsates on an off, creating an ever so slight noise thatís a bit distracting since it isnít continual. Luckily that can be rectified with a custom fan speed curve.

On the performance front Zotacís AMP! Extreme delivers too with an average of 10% faster in-game framerates than the Founders Edition. Thereís very little chance anyone would notice any difference in a blind testing but those additional frames do take this card a bit closer to the GTX 1080, a GPU that commands a $240 premium.

Overclocking was an area I had some extremely high expectations and the AMP! Extreme didnít let me down for the most part. The additional 8% of Power Limit overhead is certainly a welcome addition and Zotac needs to be commended to bucking a trend that curtails overclocking at NVIDIA-enforced barriers. However, the Voltage Limit still stepped in like an overzealous traffic cop when trying to move beyond 2090MHz but at those speeds the GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme can absolutely fly.

There will likely be some may debate about whether or not Zotacís flagship GTX 1070 is really worth so much more than other custom designs. Iím a firm believer that in this situation, you get what you pay for. The AMP! Extreme is everything you could want in a graphics card: it is fast, quiet, cool running and features a good amount of overclocking headroom. If your case will fit Zotacís monster and your pocketbook can handle it, then go for it!

Latest Reviews in Video Cards
November 1, 2017
Enough of the endless unboxings, rumors and presumptions! The GTX 1070 Ti is finally here and it's performance results are impressive to say the least!...
August 14, 2017
After nearly two years of teases, AMD's Vega 64 and Vega 56 have finally arrived. Can these two graphics cards really compete with NVIDIA's Pascal lineup?...
July 30, 2017
AMD has finally revealed almost everything there is to know about RX Vega including its pricing, performance and specifications. Is it a disappointment or everything we were hoping for?...