Intel i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E Review

Author: SKYMTL
Date: September 2, 2013
Product Name: i7-4960X
Warranty: 3 Years
Share |

System Benchmarks (pg.2)

Civilization V: Gods & Kings Unit Benchmark

Civilization V includes a number of benchmarks which run on the CPU, GPU or a combination thereof. The Unit Benchmark simulates thousands of units and actions being generated at the same time, stresses multi core CPUs, system memory and GPU We give the non-rendered score below as it is more pertinent to overall CPU performance within the application.

RESULTS: In a truly multi-threaded environment, nothing can touch Intelís Ivy Bridge Extreme even though its performance here canít be considered noticeably better than its predecessor. With that being said, it remains well ahead of AMDís offerings and even leaves the i7-4770K behind.

PCMark 7

PCMark 7 is the latest iteration of Futuremarkís system benchmark franchise. It generates an overall score based upon system performance with all components being stressed in one way or another. The result is posted as a generalized score. We also give the Computation Suite score as it isolates the CPU and memory within a single test, without the influence of other components.

RESULTS: This is an interesting test for the i7-4960X since it highlights some potential platform limitations. As we can see, both quad core, eight thread Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge processors are able to remain ahead but in the CPU-centric computational benchmark, the new IVB-E processor surges to the forefront. This may point to anything from latency issues (though we are using the same memory for all platforms) to I/O bottlenecks but one thing is certain: the X79 PCH may be showing its age.

Latest Reviews in Processors
June 23, 2014
It all started with a tweet. AMD teased an unnamed new FX-series chip on Twitter and we've got the inside track. It's a refreshed 5GHz FX-9590 with an included water cooling unit....
June 15, 2014
Intelís Devilís Canyon has been rumored, previewed and eventually delayed but now we're finally able to talk about its performance and overclocking headroom....
June 3, 2014
AMD's Kaveri architecture has finally made its way into the notebook / mobile market. With it, we will see a reincarnation of the legendary FX-series but this time in APU form....