Quantcast

Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge CPU Review

Author: MAC
Date: April 23, 2012
Product Name: i7-3770K
Warranty: 3 Years
Share |

Clock-per-clock: Ivy vs. SB-E vs. SB

Now as we have already discussed, although Intel didn't really do anything drastic to the CPU portion of Ivy Bridge they did do a few small obscure tweaks to the cores, so we are interested in finding out the effect of these changes on the instructions per clock (IPC) and how IVB compares on a clock-per-clock basis with Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge-E.

3.5GHz - Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge-E vs. Sandy Bridge

Now as you can see we clocked all three chips to as close to 3.50GHz as possible and we set identical memory frequencies (DDR3-1600) and timings (8-8-8) for all, although the i7-3820 does retain its quad-channel interface (not really an advantage as we have proven before). We selected a nice mix of applications in order to get a good idea of single and multi-threaded performance.

As you can see, it's good that we kept our expectations low. On average, Ivy Bridge is about 4% faster than the two Sandy Bridge variants on a clock-per-clock basis. Neither the single or multi-threaded performance really stands out, both are about equally improved. 3D modelling and media creation are the areas that see the biggest boost, and although not demonstrated above minimum frame rates while gaming are consistently higher thanks to IVB's super-low latency L3 cache.

Those who were hoping for a giant leap forward performance-wise are obviously going to be disappointed, but keep in mind that Intel has achieved this level of performance with a much smaller TDP than on Sandy Bridge (77W vs. 95W/130W), so it is an impressive feat.

Don't let this clock-per-clock comparison turn you off Ivy Bridge though, because as you will on the following page, one of IVB's strengths is its Turbo Boost implementation.

Latest Reviews in Processors
August 29, 2014
Intel's Haswell-E is finally here. In this review we take a look at the i7 5960X which is the 8-core, 16-thread flagship of this lineup....
July 31, 2014
AMD's new A10-7800 is a more affordable alternative for those who don't need the multiplier unlocked A10-7850K by offering good x86 processing performance alongside excellent graphics capabilities for...
June 23, 2014
It all started with a tweet. AMD teased an unnamed new FX-series chip on Twitter and we've got the inside track. It's a refreshed 5GHz FX-9590 with an included water cooling unit....