Quantcast

Hiper Type-M 800W Power Supply Review

by Michael "SKYMTL" Hoenig     |     January 6, 2008

Specifications

Packaging & Accessories

While I am by no means a card-carrying member of Greenpeace or anything, a gesture of “going green” from a manufacturer is never lost on me. I really have to appreciate the box Hiper used for the Type-M 880W since it is made out of 100% recycled cardboard. Personally, I don’t need flashy packaging to sell me on a product. Even though it is made out of recycled materials, the box itself holds all the information you would want to know about this power supply. A welcome addition is the inclusion of a printed piece of cardboard on the back of the box which even holds cable length information.

Oddly enough, even though the exterior packaging shows a move to environmentally friendly materials, the interior holds the usual Styrofoam and plastic. These can hardly be considered ecologically friendly materials and there inclusion here is a bit mind boggling considering the sacrifices Hiper made with the rest of the box. With an extremely long decomposition time and the fact that it can contain hazardous chemicals, Styrofoam is pretty far down the list green products.

Ok, time to put my green flag down. With all of that out of the way, I have to say that the Type-M is well protected against any rough handling.

With the Hiper 880W power supply you get a quick installation manual, mounting screws, a couple of Hiper stickers and an extremely think power cord. You also get cable extenders and some other adaptors which I will touch a bit more on in the Cables and Connectors section.

Latest Reviews in Featured Reviews
August 15, 2013
Corsair's Carbide AIR 540 is a unique case.  It uses a distinctive dual chamber design which not only saves vertical space, improves airflow and houses large E-ATX motherboards....
August 11, 2013
Galaxy's GTX 770 GC 4GB doubles up on the reference card's memory while also utilizing higher clock speeds.  It also happens to be one of the most expensive GTX 770 cards on the market but does the ad...
August 5, 2013
Gigabyte's new Z87X-UD5H may be targeted towards the upper end of the mid-range market but it incorporates features normally found on flagship models.  But with such cutthroad competition among Haswel...