G.Skill Ripjaws F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM 2x4GB Memory Review

Author: 3oh6
Date: January 11, 2011
Product Name: G.Skill Ripjaws PC3-16000 2x4GB
Part Number: F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM
Warranty: Lifetime

Share |

A Look at the G.Skill F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM Ripjaws

I normally like to get upset with the manufacturer for putting modules in a package that can't sustain their weight, but I just can't do that with G.Skill.

The Ripjaws don't have enough mass to their heat sinks in order to warrant anything other than a standard plastic blister pack. Unlike memory with heavy heat sinks that seem to fall out of the blister pack the second you open it, or often before you even open the package, Ripjaws sit securely in their blister pack. Heat sinks like the Ripjaws were the norm back when the blister pack became fashionable for memory, so it is no wonder the G.Skill Ripjaws modules are a suitable candidate for this type of package. Wow, I can't remember the last time I didn't complain about a memory package.

As mentioned, the G.Skill Ripjaws do not have a bulky heat sink on them. They are pretty standard to be honest, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The thin aluminum heat sinks simply cover the eight IC's on each side and join at the top. The cooling they provide is going to be minimal, but they do offer a rather subtle but effective aesthetic quality.

I am not sure what exactly a ripjaw is, but if one was to guess based on the teeth like extensions at the top of these heat sinks, one could guess that they were in fact meant to illustrate a tooth filled mouth. Obviously there isn't much else to say as aesthetics is a subjective thing, but I would prefer to see a heat sink such as this on memory instead of something over engineered, heavy, and difficult.

Latest Reviews in RAM
October 14, 2014
G.Skill's Ripjaws4 16GB memory kit may be one of the many overclocking-focused DDR4 products on the market but unlike many, it's very affordable and offers a good amount of headroom....
January 11, 2011
As CPU memory controllers continue to become the bottleneck when it comes to overclocking memory, having modules that can keep up has become increasingly important.  G.Skill's Ripjaws modules are curr...
November 10, 2010
As memory prices have been falling, manufacturers have jumped on the "more is better" bandwagon and are releasing kits with absolutely massive capacities.  In this review we take a look at OCZ's new F...