Author: 3oh6
Date: November 9, 2010
Product Name: OCZ Flex EX PC3-17000 8GB CL10 Memory
Part Number: OCZ3FXE2133LV8GK
Warranty: Lifetime
Purchase at NCIX:
Share |

Memory Specifications

At this moment in time, the PC3-17000 Flex EX modules we are looking at today are the 'fastest' 8GB DDR3 kit in the OCZ lineup. They also happen to be one of the fastest rated 2 x 4GB kits available anywhere. Here are the complete specifications as listed on the OCZ web site:

OCZ Flex EX

The only numbers of interest are the operating frequency of DDR3-2133 or 1066MHz at timings of 10-10-10-30 running at the DDR3 standard 1.65v on the Intel P55 (LGA1156) platform. The obvious standout of these specs are the relatively high timings of 10-10-10, but you have to keep in mind that the clocks this memory is designed to run at are quite high and the timings are proportional. In our overclocking and results section we will be testing the memory at a few different frequency/timing combinations so we'll get a better idea how the timings affect potential bandwidth capabilities of the memory.

The primary aesthetic focus of these modules is the new slim Flex-EX heat sinks. As mentioned in the opening, the new heat sinks should offer the ability to run in four module configuration on most motherboards. Here is a diagram of the new heat sink that shows how the Flex-EX functions.

OCZ Flex EX

The Flex-EX heat sinks provide a cooling channel from one end of the module along the top to the other end via 1/8" barbs. The diagram above illustrates this idea. Depending on the finish inside, the cooling capacity should be pretty decent based on surface area of a relatively long channel alone. Keeping in mind that memory doesn't need active cooling and well, the setup is more than adequate. With that said, many people will be asking, is the channel aluminum as they are concerned with mixed metals in their loop. Here is the best evidence that I can find to say that the inside of the cooling channel is the same anodized aluminum as the exterior.

Based on that photo, I am saying it is anodized at the ends, assuming it is anodized right through. The surface area also looks rather rough which is a good thing, not that it does any good really.

If anyone is familiar with my memory reviews, you are likely aware that I tend to scoff at elaborate cooling solutions for memory. From a performance stand point, not since the Y2K bug was on everyone's mind did cooling actually offer performance benefits for memory. With that said, I can understand an aesthetic aspect of a cooling solution such as the Flex-EX modules. For a high-end build with presentation as high up on the list of requirements, the Flex-EX heat sinks do have plenty to offer.

Latest Reviews in RAM
October 14, 2014
G.Skill's Ripjaws4 16GB memory kit may be one of the many overclocking-focused DDR4 products on the market but unlike many, it's very affordable and offers a good amount of headroom....
January 11, 2011
As CPU memory controllers continue to become the bottleneck when it comes to overclocking memory, having modules that can keep up has become increasingly important.  G.Skill's Ripjaws modules are curr...
November 10, 2010
As memory prices have been falling, manufacturers have jumped on the "more is better" bandwagon and are releasing kits with absolutely massive capacities.  In this review we take a look at OCZ's new F...