Quantcast
 


Kingston Factory Tour (Hsinchu, Taiwan)

by MAC     |     July 29, 2010

SMT Line



Of the 64 surface mount technology (SMT) lines that Kingston has globally, 12 are at the Hsinchu facility. This particular factory has 90% of production capacity dedicated towards manufacturing memory modules, with the remaining 10% focused on flash memory products.

As the name suggests, SMT is a method by which small electrical components are mounted directly onto the surface of printed circuit boards (PCBs). This is a more modern method than the traditional through-hole technology which requires the electrical components to have leads/pins which are inserted through pre-drilled holes and then soldered to the PCB.



Click on image to enlarge

The production floor that we were brought too had about a half-dozen SMT lines dedicated solely to producing memory modules. Since each fully automated line can assemble approximately 6000 memory modules every 5 hours, and are run 24 hours per day, the overall output is quite impressive.

Although fully automated production wise, there is a healthy number of staff on-hand to help reload the machines with SMT reels and just generally keep an eye on the whole process to ensure that it runs without any unnecessary stoppages.



Click on image to enlarge

Production starts off with the uncut, bare printed circuit boards (PCBs). In this example, we have SO-DIMM boards that will eventually be cut into 12 memory modules.

In the first step, these uncut PCBs go into the solder-paste printer where a precise amount of solder is applied directly to the board.



Click on image to enlarge

Once pasted, the full-size PCBs are transported via conveyor belt to the SMT (surface mounting technology) machines that install capacitors, resistors, SPD EEPROMs, and memory chips onto the PCBs at unbelievable speeds.

The memory chips, resistors, and etc are all fed into the machine by the white SMT reels which can contain hundreds (if not thousands) of tiny electrical components.



Click on image to enlarge

Once all the surface mounted components have been placed on the PCB, the boards are then fed into a oven and baked at 220°C. This hardens the solder and melts the memory ICs solder pads so that all the components are securely mounted to the surface of the PCB.



Click on image to enlarge

Once the electrical components have been properly baked into place, the still uncut PCB is then fed into a scanning machine, which quickly examines the PCB to ensure that nothing is missing and that every little piece is exactly where it should be.



Click on image to enlarge

Next up is the labeling machine, which places branding and specification stickers on each individual memory module on the still uncut PCB.



Click on image to enlarge

After being labeled, the PCB is finally cut into 12 individual SO-DIMM memory modules.




Click on image to enlarge

Last but not least, the individual SO-DIMMs are lined up, ready to be counted and put into memory trays.

The true final step in the production process is when the modules are transferred to an SPD (serial presence detect) machine that will write the frequency and latency timings information onto the modules EEPROM chips.
 
 
 

Latest Reviews in Articles
September 16, 2014
As you have all noticed, there has been a distinct lack of content here at Hardware Canucks over the last three or so weeks. Many asked for an explanation and that’s exactly what this quick post is in...
October 29, 2012
Last weekend AMD held the inaugural Radeon ExtravaLANza event out of their Markham, Ontario headquarters. It brought together gamers of all ages and walks of life into one area for some friendly compe...
January 9, 2012
The show may not have even started yet but CES 2012 is already off to a roaring start and we’re got a few people nosing around. The latest bit of information we’ve received is a quick peak inside of M...