What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Edifier M3400 2.1 Speaker System Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robscix

11446b0d4aa6cc2d.jpg

Edifier M3400 2.1 Speaker System Review

Price: $59.99 at NCIX Canada
Availability: In Stores now
Manufacturer’s Part Number: M3400
Warranty: 1 Year Limited

Introduction

The Edifier Audio Company is a very well known and highly respected company overseas. They have been slowly releasing their products into the North American market and are slowly building up their reputation here. Edifier’s working philosophy is " Pure excellence - because your ears deserve only the best". Many companies produce 2.1 systems and our markets are flooded with their low priced offerings but many of them are sub-par. This is the second Edifier speaker system we have tested and the first one blew us away. The questions are simple: can Edifier transfer the quality of sound present in their higher end offerings to the budget market and can Edifier bring anything new to the table? We shall see….

114471bad2a83806.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Packaging

Packaging

114471bad2a7e4d2.jpg
114471bad2a85f65.jpg

114471bad2a87328.jpg

These speakers arrived to this reviewer in a very nice retail package. They would catch your eye if you were shopping for a new 2.1 system.

The Packaging clearly outlines all important parameters one considers when looking for a speaker system. Some companies seem to forget actual system specifications in favor of audio standards the system is capable of. Inside the system was covered in plastic and all components were well insulated against the normal wear and tear of shipping. After close inspection, they arrived without a scratch to this reviewer. Edifier also included a plastic cover for the main power cord to protect the prongs against corrosion.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Specifications and Features

Specifications

• Power output: RMS 8W × 2+18W (THD=10%)
• Signal to noise ratio (SNR): 85dBA
• Input socket: Stereo RCA Line-in
• Input impedance: 10Kohm
• Adjustment Modes: Volume of line controller, Bass level
• Bass unit: Magnetically shielded, 6.5 inch (166mm), 4ohm
• Mid-range unit: Magnetically shielded, 3 inch (78mm), 4ohm
• Tweeter unit: Magnetically shielded, 3/4 inch, 8 ohm
• Input power: Refer to the Voltage information on rear panel
• Subwoofer dimensions: 234(W)×261(H)×305(D)mm
• Satellite dimensions: 90(W)×181(H)×137(D)mm
• Weight: Approximately 8.8kg

Features

This system is fully shielded against magnetic interference, which means you can place the satellites next to your CRT monitor without any worry of picture distortion. The satellites are a two way system featuring a ¾ inch driver for high range frequencies as well as a 3 inch midrange frequency driver fully enclosed in wooden speaker boxes. The Subwoofer unit is a Bass-reflex design featuring a tuned port for extended bass reproduction with a dedicated bass level adjustment control for precise adjustment of the 6.5” Bass driver. The main system volume is controlled by a wired illuminated rotary adjustment knob. This volume unit also features a headphone output port and a line input port for Mp3 players or other line level devices.

114471bad2a83806.jpg
114471bad61ceb7c.jpg

The Edifier M3400 features a 2-way satellite design which is rarely seen in a model of this price. The satellites can be mounted thanks to a fastener notch on the back of the satellites. The speaker wires have been hard wires into the satellites which is common at this price point.

114471bad61d3ed8.jpg
114471bad61d5a95.jpg

The subwoofer unit is designed to use a Tuned-Bass reflex port. With this configuration the subwoofer can produce lower bass then would be possible without the port. The Volume control unit features a "Halo" illuminated by a very bright blue LED, this unit has a very weighted feel to it and the volume knob itself is made of metal.

114471bad2a800a1.jpg
114471bbab5350d2.jpg

The rear panel of the subwoofer features all the connection for Line_in, control pod and speaker outs. The bass adjustment knob is also located on the back of the unit. There is also additional audio I/O on the volume control pod itself with jacks for headphones and Line_in.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Electronics Overview

Electronics Overview

By examining the electronics used in the system we can ascertain the quality of the sound production to some extent. The Edifier sound engineers decided to use the ST 4558 chip amplifier. This is a generic amplifier chip produced by many IC companies and used in a wide variety of consumer A/V devices. They have been used in DVD players, HT receivers and are featured on the Creative made X-fi’s sound cards. You can find them on many soundcards as they are a low cost solution to amplification. These amps are not considered extremely high quality but they are not considered low quality either. They can produce a high frequency shimmer that some find pleasing but it is actually distortion.

The amplification circuitry was cleanly built with no defects in soldering visible. There is also red Loctite visible on the connector screws to prevent them from working loose. This is a professional touch to ensure the customer receives a solid product.

ST 4558C Opamp

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Listening Tests

Listening Tests

Soundcards Used:
Auzentech X-fi Prelude 7.1
Realtek Azalia HD Codec

a. Music

I used a large assortment of music to test the full capabilities of this speaker system. I used everything from Beethoven and Mozart to Ozzy Osbourne and DMX and of course the obligatory speaker tests. This system produced great low range without bottoming out on the Bass heavy tracks. You can turn the Bass knob up to full and the sub kicks and punches pretty good for the size. There was nice stereo imaging produced and the soundstage was nice, deep and accurate. This system produced a very nice balanced sound across the spectrum although I noticed some distortion at the highest volume settings available. The E3400’s didn’t disappoint no matter what tracks I played. This speaker system was also tested using two different PC sound sources to give this reviewer an accurate overall impression of the sound output. I should note a system of this power rating will not fill a room but is quite loud when sitting at a PC desk.

b. Movies

For movies I personally prefer surround sound, I will say that up front. This system again earned its keep and proved accurate sound across the front image. The virtual center produced by the 2 satellites was clear, articulate and concise. This systems subwoofer takes its bass signal from the Front L&R signal. The Video players are setup for 2.0 although you can use Virtual surround technologies etc. I used my standard test DVD’s which I have been adding to. This system performed well beyond it’s price point for the tested media.

Movies Tested:
Ozzy Osbourne: Live at Budokan
Saving Private Ryan: Omaha Landing Sequence
Twister: Tornado Sequences
Star Wars: EPIII: Revenge of the Sith – Intro Sequence
Van Halen: Live Without a Net – Couldn’t Resist.

c. Gaming

This system provides nice heavy low tones for gaming. I played a few newer first person shooters with a lot of action to see if the system would be overwhelmed with all the information. They provided accurate sound reproduction and perfect directional audio for all the games tested. I used both EAX and Miles 2D positional in some games. I also played the games using the Azailia Codec onboard as many people are using onboard sound solutions. The E3400’s are a great 2.1 solution for gamers if they prefer 2.1 over 5.1 on both sound solutions.
Games Tested:
MOH: Airborne
COD4 Modern Warfare: Demo
COD2: Russian levels
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Long Term Testing and Modding Options

Long Term Testing

I allowed this system to “burn in” for about a week prior to my listening tests. It is advisable to allow a system to “settle” before adding large amounts of audio signal. The sound signature did change somewhat getting a deeper forward sound stage and more defined low end. The high frequency response warmed up somewhat also. I also firmly twisted the volume Control back and forth testing if it would loosen up any. It stayed very tight having a nice weighted feel to it, similar to a volume control on a receiver. Speaker systems improve somewhat with time and I have no doubt this system would continue to warm up with further testing.

Modding Options

The first modding option I would suggest with this set is to pull the ST 4558 amp and install an OPA2134, OPA2227 or OPA2107. You could even install the LM4562NA. This would improve the sound quality and get rid of the high frequency shimmer or Gloss heard on some tracks. You could also replace the stock caps with Black-Gates. I would advise if you’re planning to add a new chip amp consider adding a DIP8 socket which would allow different opamps to be auditioned. Improving the quality of the speaker wire is also an advisable option. I would install spring clips for the wires on the satellites also.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Conclusion

Conclusion

This system has many features not normally associated with its low price range. Indeed full wood enclosures, two way satellite designs and tuned port designs are usually found on much higher priced units. There is more than ample bass production and a balanced frequency response thanks to the two way satellite design. This system has a great overall warm balanced sound and is a very decent 2.1 system considering the competition's offerings. This reviewer gives this system 4 out of 5 and a DAMN GOOD VALUE award. This system can generate great sound seldom heard at this price point. BRAVO Edifier!!

PROS
Full Wood system
2 Way Satellites
Head Phone Jack
Line Input

CONS
4558 Amp
Hard wired speaker cables

11446b28436ef4a8.jpg

114471bb7a934461.gif

Review By: ROBSCIX
Written listening to Edifier M3400 2.1’s