Quantcast

Silverstone Kublai KL02 Case Review

by Michael "SKYMTL" Hoenig     |     September 28, 2007

Packaging

Once the UPS delivery man finishes lugging this box to your doorstep, you will realize that this is not a normal mid-tower enclosure. The box itself is larger that we would have expected considering all it holds is a single ATX case which looks to be very close in size to the Antec Sonata III. All of the features are clearly identified along with an imposing looking shot of the case itself.

Once the box is opened it becomes a bit more apparent why it is a bit on the largish side: Silverstone decided to package this case so it is orientated vertically instead of horizontally. Basically, this means that the front of the case is pointing upwards while the two sides of the case are protected by thick foam inserts. The KL02 is protected from scratches by a form-fitting plastic bag which also seems to cause a bit of a problem with the paint job…

As you can see in the second picture, somehow the action of the plastic bag rubbing against the case while it is in transit leaves a faint white residue on the black paint of the case. This residue lined up exactly where the foam pressed the plastic against the sides of the case. Thinking this was only a bit of scuffing, I went about using a damp rag to get it off. While this method removed some of it, there was still quite a bit of the unsightly white stain (which I was now beginning to call it) left on the outside of the case. To make a long story short, it ended up taking me close to and hour of rubbing with a chamois and Windex to remove all of it.

However, it seems that not all of the KL02 cases have this problem. After a quick poll of some forum members and friends who bought this case, two of them (including mine) had the white marks while three did not. In both cases, the residue was removed with a bit of time and elbow grease.