Quantcast

Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler Review

by AkG     |     May 18, 2009

Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler Review

Manufacturer Product Page: megahalems
TechWiki Info: Megahalems - Features, Specs, Etc.
Availability: Limited
Price: $72 projected CND MSRP

It seems like new CPU coolers are popping up everywhere we look. But with so many claims of innovation and excellent cooling potential, is there anything actually unique out there? Well today we are going to look at the Prolimatech Megahalems which has the potential to be both unique and an engineering tour de force.

Indeed, if you exclude HDT bases and just look at the various styles of Air Coolers out there, the industry really hasn’t changed much since the tower cooler was invented. Well today’s review is NOT like that. The Megahalems may be technically a U or Tower-style cooler but unlike the competition, the two clusters of heatpipes (or branches on the U shaped heatpipes) are not connected together. Rather, there are two separate and distinct "I"-shaped towers sprouting up and off the base. Each of these I shaped towers has its own cooling fins and none of these fins connect one "I" to the other "I". This double I Tower cooler style which we are describing could easily be the first new direction to come about since the Tower style cooler was invented. It is also a good example of what the Megahalems represents: a new way of doing things.

The name “Megahalems” is of course a funky play on words of the Intel Nehalem architecture and MEGA, when you think about it for a second, it does make sense and is easily recognizable as such; however the company Prolimatech is not what you would call a household name….nor even sound similar to one.

Prolimatech is a very, very new company. They were founded just last year and are based in Taiwan. Their website states that the name Prolima stands for: “Professionalism exceeding beyond all Limits”. I guess it losses something in the translation. In any case, their website goes on to say "….We are here to challenge any limits that stand in our way to achieve what was thought to be impossible….(and) Our never-ending quest is to satisfy every computer overclocker's and every enthusiast's needs for high quality and performance oriented thermal solutions for their high-end computer components…" These are pretty lofty goals they have set for themselves but if this Megahalems lives up to its name and the rep it is quickly getting they might just exceed them.

New company or no, when all is said and done the only thing which matters is how their kit performs. Will it live up to the buzz which is starting to surround it; or will it be all marketing hyperbole? We may not know NOW but by the end of this review we hope to rectify this! So without further ado: let’s kick it into high gear and see what this cooler is capable of!

Latest Reviews in Cooling
December 14, 2014
NZXT's X61 and X41 don't look any different from many other All in One water coolers but the original Kraken design has been thoroughly updated for better performance and quieter acoustics....
November 30, 2014
Noctua's NH-D15 is one of the largest CPU coolers on the market but with comparably-priced AIO water coolers around, it may face some insurmountable competition....
March 31, 2014
Cooler Master's Nepton 280L is their broadside into the dual 140mm All in One CPU cooler segment. Against the likes of Corsair and NZXT, the Nepton does surprisingly well....