Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Guides & How-to's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/)
-   -   useful tool software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/9867-useful-tool-software.html)

CTA September 4, 2008 10:21 PM

useful tool software

i want to create a good guide for everyone (like me) to choose mostly trusted software to test or stress or check the hardwares...

why?

to make that your hardware is working properly so you dont have to rma, have incorrect part or whatever...

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool to download memory test on bios/ dos... pretty long...

Mersenne Prime Search benchmark...what...? (dont try it yet ;p)

CPUID to read your hardware information

CPUID to read hardware status... (if this is not very accurate then please let me (us) know then suggest good software

Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management to check, test, stress, benckmarks and everything! but its paid...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boldeagle (Post 87034)

the free version
|MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20

the paid version which allows data logging and later plotting
|MG| EVEREST Ultimate Edition 4.60

RivaTuner to check, overclock, modify the video card... pretty useful...

video card tester/stress... which...? ( nvidia and ati) -- thank to enaberif...

HdTach to test hdd...

HD Tune to test hdd... (paid version)

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 86458)

please suggest softwares if you find the best and accuracy...

enaberif September 4, 2008 10:25 PM

GPU-Z for GPU temps and information
CPU-Z for CPU information and RAM information
CoreTemp for 65nm chips
RealTemp for 45nm chips
HWMonitor for temperature and voltage monitoring
Everest for simple benchmarks
ATI Tool for GPU stress testing
FurMark for more GPU stress testing
Prime95 v25.x to test CPU or RAM
Orthos to test CPU or RAM
OCCT to test CPU

Nodscene September 5, 2008 05:33 AM

Since I haven't seen it mentioned I vote for SIW (Software Information For Windows). Killer little program that gives all hardware information, also can get your Windows, Office keys etc. It can also show what ip's you are connected to (say through a torrent program) and you can disconnect from them. I've also used it to show the passwords in Outlook when the client has forgotten it. A real life saver this little program. What's even better is that it's free for non-corporate environments.

Boldeagle September 5, 2008 06:24 AM

OCCT will plot your data and is one of my favourites (I can be lazy and get the main "variables". EVEREST Pro does take it to a whole new level with the Preferences>>Log to a CSV. Yes you only get the data but damn "plot" almost anything you want. Plot CPU Load/C/vFSB, GPU Load/C/V, have to get back into my Excel, pivot sheets!!

Shadowed September 5, 2008 09:33 PM

Thanks !
I will be checking some of these out.
I have been putting off looking for some newer utilities.
A friend gave me a monitoring prog. and said it was great. When I looked at the program release date, it was 4 years old.
My hardware is newer than that! It probably wouldn't recognize any of it.
I declined and was going to go search around.

geokilla September 6, 2008 04:54 PM

Intel Linpack for stress testing Intel CPUs. It works the CPU harder than OCCT. Also, it can generate temps that can be up to 20C higher than Prime.

IntelBurnTest - The new stress-testing program - XtremeSystems Forums

sswilson September 6, 2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 86993)
Intel Linpack for stress testing Intel CPUs. It works the CPU harder than OCCT. Also, it can generate temps that can be up to 20C higher than Prime.

Holy cwap!!!!

Not really sure I want to do that.... I've never come across a real use app that would hit Prime's temps, let alone 20c over it..... :)

enaberif September 6, 2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 86993)

Go read on xtreme systems people ADVISE against using this as its VERY unpredictable and results will never be the same.

People over there highly ADVISE not to use it at all.

Stick with Orthos, P95 or OCCT please.

Boldeagle September 6, 2008 06:52 PM

I notice EVEREST isn't there and arguably one of the most powerful system tools:

the free version
|MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20

the paid version which allows data logging and later plotting
|MG| EVEREST Ultimate Edition 4.60

CTA September 6, 2008 09:33 PM

everest is delvoping by Lavalys... but update my post with your links... thanks....

about IntelBurnTest... i will not add it... until its stable or highly recommend by experts..