Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2008, 03:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default swapping files from one system to another ????

Ok guys when i get my system here in a cpl days :)
1. can i move large winrar files from my own xp system to my new rig 64 bit vista with out burning files to a cd ?

2 What i want to know is there a way usb or other that i can hook old puter to new puter and transfer all and any folders or files i want ?
Old July 31, 2008, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBane View Post
Ok guys when i get my system here in a cpl days :)
1. can i move large winrar files from my own xp system to my new rig 64 bit vista with out burning files to a cd ?

2 What i want to know is there a way usb or other that i can hook old puter to new puter and transfer all and any folders or files i want ?
Yes.

Use a x-over cable or purchase/use a router/hub
Old July 31, 2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

You can purchase something like:

THERMALTAKE BlacX SE SATA HDD Docking Station w/ 4-Port USB2.0 Hub at Memory Express Computers

or better yet:

Bytecc USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter at Memory Express Computers
Old July 31, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you have a router, you can transfer files through your Network!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 31, 2008, 04:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes but Vista computers can't see XP computers on a network unless you follow instructions below:

Solution
For computers running Windows XP to appear on the Network Map diagram, you must download and install the LLTD Responder component. With the LLTD Responder, a computer running Windows XP can respond to other Windows Vista computers on the network that are attempting to create a network map.

To install the LLTD Responder to a computer running Windows XP

1. Download the update for Windows XP from Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

2. Run the update on the computer running Windows XP that you want to appear on the Network Map.

3. On the Software Update Installation Wizard, click Next.

4. On the License Agreement page, read the license agreement, and if you agree to the terms, click I Agree, and then click Next.

5. On the final page of the wizard, click Finish.

6. If you are prompted to do so, restart your computer.
  • After your computer running Windows XP restarts, generate a new Network Map with the computer running Windows XP included.
Or simply hook up your old HDD as a second drive in your new system and drag and drop. That's the fastest way to transfer large amounts of files.
Old July 31, 2008, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Once your New rig has installed vista, hook your old hdd containing xp upto the new mobo, boot, transfer whatever you want pop the hdd back into your xp rig. thats if you want to just do it once. But as suggested buy a router and create a home network is the best long term solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 31, 2008, 04:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
If you have a router, you can transfer files through your Network!
Ok i have a wireless dlink 624I router .
i have 1 laptop wireless running off it and this system on the router hard wired and the wifes system next to me hard wired

Now my new rig is vista 64 ultimate , the hard drive in this rig right now is like a 250 gig ata segate drive , with xp on it 32 bit!
So can i pull this hard drive and add to my new rig as a second boot drive with out hafting to do any thing but boot it up
?
Or can i just add this 250 gig ata as a second drive pull the files i want to my first 750 gig hard drive and then format the new second drive as a xp 64 bit dual boot drive?

Also any software i would need to buy/
Old July 31, 2008, 04:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Once your New rig has installed vista, hook your old hdd containing xp upto the new mobo, boot, transfer whatever you want pop the hdd back into your xp rig. thats if you want to just do it once. But as suggested buy a router and create a home network is the best long term solution.
Ok i got the route and it runs 3 xp systems .
My problem is i know nothing of home net works !!!! I would love to add my new rig onto the system and have 4 computers running !
That said how do i setup a home network where i can pull files from any system and add to my new rig?
Old July 31, 2008, 10:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

There is very little to do in the way of setup for a home LAN like that. Windows pretty much does it all automagically. Just right click and share the folder on the old computer, plug the new computer into the network, browse to the share from the new computer, and copy your files.
Old August 1, 2008, 07:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thats exactly what i want thank you :)