Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Just a word of caution.

For anyone buying an Apogee GT its backplate can be a pain to switch from one motherboard to the next.

Might be worth running the system at load for a bit before trying or sticking the board int he freezer. Either way your liekly to loose some of the backplate pad.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old January 5, 2009, 05:48 PM
Rookie

Default WC...YES!

In one word--NICE! Photos are always a good thing...THX!
Old June 21, 2009, 10:27 PM
Top Prospect

hm...nice short read and informative at that...which will help me with my watercooling which im starting soon when i get my parts =D
Old May 31, 2010, 05:29 AM
Rookie

This is brilliant advice, I started about 2 months ago, my budget was great untill I had to transfer half of it to pay for car repairs. During the time when I was spending money, I measured and double measured every thing for the custom parts, trawled through countless sites for prices and reviews to find the best value to ensure I was getting the best quality (in my mind) at the best price with the best aftersales too.

I have recieved about half the stuff I need for my set up but have not got enough essentials to make anything in the way of a cooling loop and wont have until I get the money from the car back.

In the mean time though I have tested my pumps with spare tubing, sealed the tubing I am going to use ready for sterilization and tested manifolds, reservoirs and fittings to see how they perform as this is the first water cooling set up for me.

I am glad I have taken my time over this as mistakes can be very costly and, at a time when many of us have been made reduntant, money is not something to be squandered when food and bills need to be paid.

Hopefully I will have my setup complete by the end of summer and will be able to post some photos up here and put up how much it cost and what an be re-used in future systems (remember when buying stuff - what can be re-used in new systems, what is re-sellable and what will be scrapped during upgrades).
Old December 12, 2012, 08:47 PM
Rookie

I just read through this guide and realized many things that I wasn't aware of before. I will be sure to follow this guide when all my parts are in!
Thank you!! :D
Old February 5, 2014, 04:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Definitely a great guide for newbies who are just getting their feet wet with watercooling.
I may have missed it, but is there a part on galvanic corrosion? For example mixing Cu, Al, Ag etc.
Old February 5, 2014, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I applaud your effort writing this post I appreciate the time it takes to do this sort of thing. I have to disagree with one part and maybe someone else here has too. (I'm not reading every post)

Don't do this... it is a compression fitting. You definitely do not want T-tape in your loop and the threads on most fittings are minimal. Plumbing 101 bud (I'm a plumber) Don't tape compression fittings. If you are having leak problems there are a few ways to tighten the fittings and they really only need to be hand tight with a tiny little tweak. For acrylic blocks/reservoirs you risk cracking the fitting holes by taping them requiring you to use a wrench to over tighten. The rubber O-ring is responsible for stopping the leaks. If the fittings leak the O-ring needs to be replaced and they are cheap cheap cheap.

Simply put this is not good advice. Please don't take this personally ok...

For taping a threaded fitting that does NOT have an O-ring. The best way to remember to tape in the correct direction is to hold the fitting in your left and and tape with the right. The tape should actually go clockwise as that is the same direction that you thread fittings into it's female counterpart. If you look at your picture you are in fact taping clockwise which is correct.

You are also taping upside down... flip the roll over it's easier. LIKE THIS SIR :)
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; February 5, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old February 5, 2014, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyseroTheMage View Post
Definitely a great guide for newbies who are just getting their feet wet with watercooling.
I may have missed it, but is there a part on galvanic corrosion? For example mixing Cu, Al, Ag etc.
You can counter galvanic corrosion by adding glycol to the distilled or deionized water. The inhibitors that people can buy online for 15 bux (tiny little bottle) is in fact the same 50/50 glycol you buy at the local car parts store (Canadian Tire)

Mixing metals should be avoided whenever possible... mixing copper with aluminium should always be avoided.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old February 9, 2014, 04:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default poisoning by flumes of liquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
You can counter galvanic corrosion by adding glycol to the distilled or deionized water. The inhibitors that people can buy online for 15 bux (tiny little bottle) is in fact the same 50/50 glycol you buy at the local car parts store (Canadian Tire)

Mixing metals should be avoided whenever possible... mixing copper with aluminium should always be avoided.
Stay away from ethylene glycol (EG-green) also DEX-COOL based on organic acid technology (OAT)

lesser of poisoning is Propylene Glycol (PG) food grade is wanted

Tags
guide , water cooling