Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Guides & How-to's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
MVP
F@H

Default programming how to's?

So i was thinking I would like to learn some basic programing skills...

I would like to learn something relatively easy that I can make the type of games you see on addictinggames.com.

So i was wondering what language should i start on?

I've looked at C++ and bought a beginners book but never really got into it.

Also if you have a link to a good free guide for the suggested language that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old June 22, 2008, 07:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I remember reading a thread where someone posted this link -> cplusplus.com - The C++ Resources Network . I don't do any programing myself but, I was reminded of that link when I read this thread and thought I'd post it for you. I think it is online tutorials and info about said language.

Seeing that game development interests you, here is another post that might interest you as well -> http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...html#post51488

Have fun! :)
Old June 22, 2008, 07:28 PM
MVP
F@H

Old June 22, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaiboi View Post
So i was thinking I would like to learn some basic programing skills...

I would like to learn something relatively easy that I can make the type of games you see on addictinggames.com.

So i was wondering what language should i start on?

I've looked at C++ and bought a beginners book but never really got into it.

Also if you have a link to a good free guide for the suggested language that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Unless you have a reason to learn.. don't bother.

Most times you'll end up frusterated and not want to bother.

Creating a game takes a lot more time and learning in a languages than just C or C++
Old June 22, 2008, 07:58 PM
MVP
F@H

i would like to challenge myself and i think it would be pretty cool to go "yo go play this game tell me what you think" and its made by me lol

besides its summer now and i have nothing but time so i figured ill make it a little project of mine
Old June 22, 2008, 07:58 PM
MVP

Don't give up on your dream just because some random guy on the Internet tells you to. (An advise from another random guy on the Internet)

addictinggames.com is a flash game website. If you want a shortcut, you can start learning flash/actionscripts. If you want better basic (really want to be a programmer), then you can start from C++/Java/C#.

There seems to be a few books on Amazon on flash gaming: Amazon.ca: flash games

Start with something really simple, if you like it you can move on to something bigger.

Last edited by Spaceman-Spiff; June 22, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old June 22, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaiboi View Post
i would like to challenge myself and i think it would be pretty cool to go "yo go play this game tell me what you think" and its made by me lol

besides its summer now and i have nothing but time so i figured ill make it a little project of mine
Must be young... I ventured down that road once till I realized how much it was gonna take to do it.

But hey if you think you can do it all the best.
Old June 22, 2008, 08:23 PM
MVP

I don't think it's wrong for someone wanting to learn something.

But yes, if programming is really not your thing, you shouldn't force it. When I was still in the university, I've seen some classmates falling really behind in programming classes even after they force themselves to study hard. If it's not really in you, it's going to be very tough.

However, if you're artistic enough. You may still get away with it in Flash games, as it's still require a lot of graphics to do.